Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Coastline is open to all.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

salmocab wrote: »
    It came ashore during a storm, There’s probably not a lot could have been done about it.

Could it not have been scuttled when out in the deep, to remove it as a hazard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm more amazed that it was allowed to drift from mid-Atlantic all the way to the Cork coastline for 15 months without being hit by something!

What better place than Ballyrotten for it to lay. it'll become a very suitable tourist attraction for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What better place than Ballyrotten for it to lay. it'll become a very suitable tourist attraction for the area

We could do with another Fr Ted wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Could it not have been scuttled when out in the deep, to remove it as a hazard?

I presume it would have to be fired on by a naval vessel. As it was a storm when they last knew it’s whereabouts it may have been in someone else’s water or it may not have been heading our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Could we not just drag it back out to sea and let it go on its way or maybe paint it up a bit and sell it to the Libyans, sure what could go wrong .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Darc19 wrote: »
    Over 1,000 migrants a week are estimated to arrive in Britain undetected.

You’ll hear about the odd capture here and there. But the dozens of ribs that land undetected simply don't make the news.

Not exactly something to aspire to by the authorities here.

Look, if a load of boys can make it from France to Ireland on a rib, they can stay - and get jobs in the Naval service. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm more amazed that it was allowed to drift from mid-Atlantic all the way to the Cork coastline for 15 months without being hit by something!
    The ocean is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to the ocean.

The odds of this thing drifting and colliding with another ship are tiny. Boat traffic tends to travel in very defined routes, and very hard to not see an object of this size from several KM away.

It's a bit like dropping a rock from the ISS and worrying that it would hit a plane on the way down. The odds of such a thing would actually be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

the atlantic isn't a one way street ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

I do find it fascinating of the ship's journey,recently I was reading about all the sunken shipwrecks you have here.It's a shame I don't know how to dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

seamus wrote: »
    The ocean is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to the ocean.

The odds of this thing drifting and colliding with another ship are tiny. Boat traffic tends to travel in very defined routes, and very hard to not see an object of this size from several KM away.

It's a bit like dropping a rock from the ISS and worrying that it would hit a plane on the way down. The odds of such a thing would actually be tiny.

Have you heard of sea fog?

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »
    Have you heard of fog?

Fog doesn’t make the ocean smaller though. The amount of vessels compared to the size of the ocean would make a collision a very unlikely event in the open ocean.

So a 250ft abandoned container ship drifts closer and closer to Ireland and washes up on the South Coast only to be discovered by a fella out jogging. This is truly shocking. This happened only a few miles from the main Naval base in Cork harbour yet it wasn’t picked up by radar or sea patrols etc. This ship could have been carrying anyone or anything.

It makes you wonder how many smaller boats are coming ashore here without any fear of being caught. Other articles talk about how Ireland and Europe is awash with drugs. It’s easy to see why.

How is this the first thing you think of. Your mind is poisoned.

I do find it fascinating of the ship's journey,recently I was reading about all the sunken shipwrecks you have here.It's a shame I don't know how to dive.

Most are in bits unless in very deep or sheltered areas, storms break them up in a few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Fog doesn’t make the ocean smaller though. The amount of vessels compared to the size of the ocean would make a collision a very unlikely event in the open ocean.

I know but just in response to the Marine and everything else expert telling us that it's hard not to see an object this size for several Km away

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know but just in response to the Marine and everything else expert telling us that it's hard not to see an object this size for several Km away

Never mind fog, has he ever heard of night time?

It can actually be extremely difficult to see obstructions such as this, especially unlit ones, at sea, depending on conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Just short of 5km is as far as the eye can see or if you believe the earth is flat hundreds of km.
    I'm an expert in bull**** or something like that.

Never mind fog, has he ever heard of night time?

It can actually be extremely difficult to see obstructions such as this, especially unlit ones, at sea, depending on conditions.

The point wasn’t about visibility it was about the chances of two objects happening to collide in the ocean. It’s absolutely tiny chance regardless of how well lit the objects are

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The point wasn’t about visibility it was about the chances of two objects happening to collide in the ocean. It’s absolutely tiny chance regardless of how well lit the objects are

You could say the same about rocks and reefs and small islands, yet they see fit to put lights on them despite the minuscule chance of hitting them. If there's stuff there, ships have a way of finding them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

hmmmm, was there not a rather large ship once collided with an enormous iceberg....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭thomil

I presume it would have to be fired on by a naval vessel. As it was a storm when they last knew it’s whereabouts it may have been in someone else’s water or it may not have been heading our way.

Adding to this point, even if it was spotted at the right spot to sink it, unless the ship had some vapours left in its fuel tanks, or other similar volatile materials aboard, you'd have to put quite a few rounds on target to send it to the bottom. As long as their hulls and bulkheads are somewhat intact, ships are surprisingly uncooperative when it comes to sinking.

Then there's the erratic movement of a ship without any power, steering or crew, which will make targeting it with a deck gun quite "interesting", and you'd probably end up annoying a large part of the local fish population by way of near misses before enough damage was caused for the ship to sink. Granted, a Harpoon, or a Mark 48 would do the job quicker, 200+ kilograms of military grade explosive can be quite "persuasive", but that would open up a whole new can of worms, namely targeting, avoiding civilian casualties, etc.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sensationalist headline is sensationalist.

The coast is far from open. It's patrolled by the navy and they a bloody good job of it too despite being undermanned.

You should read this and appraise yourself of the actual situation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/naval-service-forced-to-delay-mission-due-to-lack-of-crew-1.4155464

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This hunk of junk gets through, but my shipment of half a ton of high-quality Peruvian blow was intercepted.

Typical.

Quite right too; good work

Graces7 wrote: »
    hmmmm, was there not a rather large ship once collided with an enormous iceberg....

Racing into an ice field, in the dark, an ice field that they were made aware of by other vessels.
    So, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The most impressive thing to me was that an abandoned vessel stayed afloat for so long. It really shows how seaworthy ships are.

As far as destroying it goes, bad idea. Much easier to simply avoid it and let it wash up.

In 1967 the British tried to destroy the SS Torrey Canyon and ignite it's fuel load to prevent/mitigate an oil spill. Over 160 bombs (plus rockets, kerosene and napalm) over two days was inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Once no radioactive mutated giant cannibal rats managed to land there's nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

From the Universe is Awesome thread:
    Yep!
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

:P
    seamus wrote: »

Are you and Hector Savage related or the same person???

You could say the same about rocks and reefs and small islands, yet they see fit to put lights on them despite the minuscule chance of hitting them. If there's stuff there, ships have a way of finding them!

And yet none hit this ship

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are there lots of similar empty vessels bobbing about all over the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

From the Universe is Awesome thread:

Are you and Hector Savage related or the same person???

Yep. You're after uncloaking him.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

Yes and the oceans have plenty of ice bergs and plenty of ships but they rarely collide. Because in the grand scheme the oceans are huge and the ships and ice bergs are tiny.

Advertisement