Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Coastline is open to all.

Options
  • 17-02-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

So a 250ft abandoned container ship drifts closer and closer to Ireland and washes up on the South Coast only to be discovered by a fella out jogging. This is truly shocking. This happened only a few miles from the main Naval base in Cork harbour yet it wasn’t picked up by radar or sea patrols etc. This ship could have been carrying anyone or anything.

It makes you wonder how many smaller boats are coming ashore here without any fear of being caught. Other articles talk about how Ireland and Europe is awash with drugs. It’s easy to see why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

It kind of goes with the territory of being a small island nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So a 250ft abandoned container ship drifts closer and closer to Ireland and washes up on the South Coast only to be discovered by a fella out jogging. This is truly shocking. This happened only a few miles from the main Naval base in Cork harbour yet it wasn’t picked up by radar or sea patrols etc. This ship could have been carrying anyone or anything.

It makes you wonder how many smaller boats are coming ashore here without any fear of being caught. Other articles talk about how Ireland and Europe is awash with drugs. It’s easy to see why.

How do you know it wasn't picked up by radar or sea patrols?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm more amazed that it was allowed to drift from mid-Atlantic all the way to the Cork coastline for 15 months without being hit by something!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

kippy wrote: »

And what is the connection between an abandoned ship washing ashore in a storm and Europe's drug problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They knew about this ship a long long time ago.

Abandoned.

The last known point was about 200 miles off the coast last week.

Seems they knew generally where it was and what it was until the last few hours.

As it had been noted as abandoned and not in working order, it was not going to have a shipment of drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Agree fully with you

Many years ago now in a different county, I was picking blackberries down a narrow lane that led to the shore and a pretty quay. I went there often, parked the car by the quay and it was always deserted and quiet

This time however when I parked and got out of the car? There were two cars parked, one half hidden, and some men, and a small boat heading in. The place was totally hidden from any public view.

When I was seen? The man on the shore and the man on the boat got on their phones to each other, very agitated and glancing at me . I was scared! Tried to act normal so started picking berries, praying hard and hoping no one was going to have to tell my family I had met a sticky end. Thought that if I got back in the car and drove off they might react badly?

One of the cars headed off at speed and the boat went off..

I waited a while then did likewise; one car was left hidden in trees,

I did not know what to do; they could have taken my car number. I went to the local village Post Office and told what had happened and from the reaction? Do not involve, was the strong advice.

Could have been drugs, an illegal entry?

when I told family they said I did right just to leave. So easy with such a coastline

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Truly shocking :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Darc19 wrote: »

Abandoned.

Seems they knew exactly where it was and what it was until the last few hours.

True. They've been tracking it for sometime ever since the crew abandoned her over a year ago, even British vessels investigated a while back.

Although, the OP does have a point. I think we should be greatly increasing our naval capacity to ensure the security of our coastline and prevent smuggling of drugs, people, weapons, etc.

Edit: nice catch Corner of Hells

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

kippy wrote: »

I would like to think if the Navy knew about it they would put out a warning and maybe a few tugboats could have been sent out to it.

What would happen if this had collided with a ferry or if it floated into Cork harbour and collided with the refinery jetty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

True. They've been tracking it for sometime ever since the crew abandoned her over a year ago, even British vessels investigated a while back.

Although, the OP does have a point. I think we should be greatly increasing our navel capacity to ensure the security of our coastline and prevent smuggling of drugs, people, weapons, etc.

Nice thought, I agree wholeheartedly, but highly unlikely in the short term....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/naval-staff-shortage-may-see-ship-tied-up-while-ireland-awash-with-drugs-981933.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm curious, how have they been tracking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Although, the OP does have a point. I think we should be greatly increasing our navel capacity to ensure the security of our coastline and prevent smuggling of drugs, people, weapons, etc.

My belly button is fine , thank you.
    Doesn't need an increase in capacity.

What would happen if this had collided with a ferry or if it floated into Cork harbour and collided with the refinery jetty.

What do you mean "what if"

You can't go through life thinking "what if"

The ocean is gigantic. Ships have radar. Very easy to avoid mishaps.

This ship has been wandering around for a couple of years. It hasn't hit any ships in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Abandoned.

Seems they knew generally where it was and what it was until the last few hours.

As it had been noted as abandoned and not in working order, it was not going to have a shipment of drugs.

That is not the point. They did not know it had come here; any boat could come and go unseen with any cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It came ashore during a storm, There’s probably not a lot could have been done about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thatsmaths.com/2013/12/12/irelands-fractal-coastline/amp/
    Our coastline is very long - how much would it take to adequately patrol it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's grand. The Ghostbusters knew all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

What do you mean "what if"

You can't go through life thinking "what if"

The ocean is gigantic. Ships have radar. Very easy to avoid mishaps.

This ship has been wandering around for a couple of years. It hasn't hit any ships in that time.

It’s not really a good look when it takes a lad out jogging to FIND a 250ft ship here when the lads cross channel can track a 20ft rib coming towards the sound coast of England with a few illegals on board. My point of the tread is that it’s a bit of a serious own goal by the lads meant to be keeping watch on our coastline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I doubt if this was being tracked at all, if it was, it wouldn't have been allowed drift randomly up through a busy shipping area off the south coast and into the Irish sea, and unless it had power and was emitting a signal it would be difficult to track.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There is an unknown quantity of large stuff floating around out there, from boats to containers that have fallen off ships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Would love to explore it I know there's probably nothing of value on it but just to see the state of it after drifting this long

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Does the jogger have salvage rights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

smurfjed wrote: »
    Does the jogger have salvage rights ?

I’d like to think he spent a while wondering if it was there yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It’s not really a good look when it takes a lad out jogging to FIND a 250ft ship here when the lads cross channel can track a 20ft rib coming towards the sound coast of England with a few illegals on board. My point of the tread is that it’s a bit of a serious own goal by the lads meant to be keeping watch on our coastline.

We haven't had coastwatchers since the "Emergency".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sensationalist headline is sensationalist.

The coast is far from open. It's patrolled by the navy and they a bloody good job of it too despite being undermanned.

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is not the point. They did not know it had come here; any boat could come and go unseen with any cargo.

It's difficult to dock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sensationalist headline is sensationalist.

The coast is far from open. It's patrolled by the navy and they a bloody good job of it too despite being undermanned.

Ah Jaysus, 9 ships to patrol something like 3000km of coastline. They can't be everywhere at once.
    Some of them can't even go out they're so undermanned. Jokeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

This hunk of junk gets through, but my shipment of half a ton of high-quality Peruvian blow was intercepted.

Typical.

Over 1,000 migrants a week are estimated to arrive in Britain undetected.

You’ll hear about the odd capture here and there. But the dozens of ribs that land undetected simply don't make the news.

Not exactly something to aspire to by the authorities here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I wish I had enough free time to spend some of it worrying about little things like this.

Advertisement