Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Total Recall 1990

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Fieldog wrote: »
    We watched it in primary school, our teacher scrambling across the room to fast forward that scene as he was oblivious to it and had never seen it before someone brought it in to watch...

Hilarious to think we could watch this, Gremlins, and even Nightmare On Elm Street in primary school...

Contrast to my friends child, one of their teachers brought in a Nightmare before Christmas and there was letters home and teachers getting reprimanded for it...

We lived in simpler time's! :)

You couldn't write this but I went to an Altar Boy party (many moons ago) in the local parish and the priest put on .... Predator.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yippee ki-yay, Kimosabe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched Total Recall (again!) last week too and it's still a great movie, but not his best by any stretch.

That honour would probably fall to Predator or T2, but I love The Running Man myself.

Still, "see you at the party Richter!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Watched Total Recall (again!) last week too and it's still a great movie, but not his best by any stretch.

That honour would probably fall to Predator or T2, but I love The Running Man myself.

Still, "see you at the party Richter!"

Ah the running man. Classic movie too.
    For some reason wasn't shown for many years on TV..then I buy the dvd in 2007 and it's always on haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

sugarman wrote: »
    I remember RTE showed Titanic at 1 or 2 o'clockin the day over the Christmas one year completely unedited.. there was a thread on After hours about it!

..and funny enough, I only noticed Channel 4 censoring Simpsons episodes recently. The scene where Moe opens a new trendy / hipster / European bar and the models Moe is sitting with say "all this yelling is taking away my horniness" and "ever since Chernobyl, my penis is falling off" was cut out. Made no sense because the Argument / Conversation between Homer and Moe was gone / didn't happen.

TG4 broadcast Cliffhanger in the middle of the day years back after some GAA match was called off. Never actually realized how violent the movie was until your watching it in the middle of the day pre-watershed lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

TG4 broadcast Cliffhanger in the middle of the day years back after some GAA match was called off. Never actually realized how violent the movie was until your watching it in the middle of the day pre-watershed lol.
    I remember watching Buddy Buddy on RTE once at about 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon, must be a charming comedy about a pair of mismatched friends, right?
    Wrong, Jack Lemmon kept trying to kill himself and Walter Matthau played a foul mouthed hitman. Lots of off colour talk about sex throughout too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

***all-time classic scene***

we had a geography teacher just like her which made it extra hilarious in school:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I remember watching Buddy Buddy on RTE once at about 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon, must be a charming comedy about a pair of mismatched friends, right?
    Wrong, Jack Lemmon kept trying to kill himself and Walter Matthau played a foul mouthed hitman. Lots of off colour talk about sex throughout too.

Well that's crazy
    As I too remember watching bits of it one Saturday afternoon and at one point Walter Matthau goes to grab jack lemon while screaming "you p***k!"

I was like "did rte just let they through?" - imagine that got loads of grannies calling in.

Probably the same showing you watched. Going back about ohhhhh 15 years ago or something.

Edit
    It appears jack lemons character was that on a TV censor. The irony. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Well that's crazy
    As I too remember watching bits of it one Saturday afternoon and at one point Walter Matthau goes to grab jack lemon while screaming "you p***k!"

I was like "did rte just let they through?" - imagine that got loads of grannies calling in.

Probably the same showing you watched. Going back about ohhhhh 15 years ago or something.

Edit
    It appears jack lemons character was that on a TV censor. The irony. Lol.
    He called him an asshole a few times and told another character to **** off :D
    I reckon RTE saw the film title and the two actors and thought it would just be like the Odd Couple part 2 and didn't bother checking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When it comes to acting, I think Arnie was also very good in The 6th Day. It wasn't an Arnie vehicle, it was originally supposed to star Kevin Costner, but there was a scheduling conflict.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pixelburp wrote: »
    Do stations still censor? I don't have a TV connection anymore, and last time I recall (see what I did there?) it was Sky sniping racier jokes from Simpsons episodes - or the occasional swear (such as the U2 episodes use of "w&nker"). Airline flights are the one situation you still get lame censoring on films for sure. Still as clunky and arbitrary as you can imagine, especially with cussin' . It's one reason why I tend not to bother watching anything on longer flights.

Yeah, still happens. Typically because of the time of day it seems though. I was flicking through the higher-numbered stations a couple of days ago (Bored) and Sony channel had The Waterboy. Just at the bit where he pokes a guy in the eye. As it was coming up I thought "Surely not. Not at 2PM" and, sure enough, they cut away.

C4 absolutely lays waste to TV shows during the day. How I Met You Mother is constantly on in the morning but a good 20% must be cut out. I mean, it's a win win for stations. They can show the programmes they want and heavily cut them, y'know, for the children (Won't someone think of the children) then they have a nice extra min or two to sell ads.

As for TR. God, it hasn't aged well but it is still a fun guilty pleasure. Much more so than the "Remake". Ironically the remake was (very slightly) more true to the short story. But it was still tosh. (TBH, much of Philip K dick's short stories, like many Sci-Fi writers of the time, were more like episodes of The Twilight Zone and wouldn't hold up if faithfully adapted
    In the original short story the cops catch him and they basically say "OK, the problem is that your life was TOO boring so you were tempted to do this which resulted in discovering the memory block. How can we stop this happening again?" He says something like "Oh, when I was a kid I had this fantasy that I found some aliens and helped them fix their crashed ship. They were going to invade and destroy earth but said they wouldn't while I was alive 'cos I helped them. Can you put that in?" As they were implanting the memory they discovered it was actually there and real. Mike Drop!

Advertisement