Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norway !!! Far far up North in Norway!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

Lets hope so Norway is very much on my list of counties I want to visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I am still a little afraid, so long as Norway remain level headed unlike the bufoons in Ireland that will be introducing level 9 lockdowns again soon cos 3 people are in hospital....

not looking good....

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Heading up to Tromso soon. Looking forward to it.

LEt us know how it goes with the covid theatrical nonsense...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

In fairness, 550 people are in hospital here, not 3.

That's a lot for one disease. And they infect those treating them, putting added strain on things.

Covid is still a very real issue

annnd cancelled again because of the medical EU dictatorship ....

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Can I ask how? Vaccinated travellers can visit Norway.

for now .....

I am just expecting the inevitable need a 3rd booster plus more testing etc ...

all the flags are starting to fly for this..

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Hi, did just researching for Norway- and came across this thread,... did you book it? I got flights from Oslo to Svalbard June 290 each return in June.. expensive, but def a dream to get there.. Norway has a free to roam laws for camping, so bringing a tent, similar to Scotland, so what I save down south in accommodation in Norway, I will spend up north on the islands no doubt.. booked last night to excitement is building.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement

I'm here!!

Wow ... scenery is flooring me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Camping in Svalbard is highly regulated, this is due to the wildlife, especially the Polar Bears.

Campsites, especially wild campsites must have a defence/warning systems in place, usually Trip-Wires attached to a Thunder Flash or a Flare to protect against wildlife attacks. One of the camping party must be certified in the use of Fire Arms and carry a Rifle and Flare Pistol

If you plan to leave the Town boundary of Longyearbyen walking or Driving, you must be accompanied by a Guide who is Armed or that you are certified to carry a weapon.

At least that’s how it was explained to myself, when I visited there some years back.

Longyerbyren is the main arrivals point, it has the airport, seaport, along with hotels, accommodation, restaurants bars etc. It is expensive to eat out or drink, even food in the Supermarket is not cheap. However the scenery is breathtaking and unique. There are local tours and Tour Guides ranging from the Touristy to the full-on Bear Grills type experience. Try to also get to Ny-Ålesund if at all possible, it’s especially memorable with the 3 Glaciers entering into the Köngs Fjord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

So will the price of a Pint! 🤣

If you’re in Longyearbyen, try to get to Nybyen, the river and the valley with the old mine is spectacular.

It’s a truly enchanting place, enjoy.

Post edited by Pat Dunne on

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Finally!! Remembering the amazing scenery. Enjoy.

Well I came back from what can only be described as a trip of a lifetime.. June is the perfect time to visit Norway as you have 20+ degrees down south and snow up North, we wild camped the whole time, thanks to the free to roam in norway. everywhere we found a place to pitch the tent, it was clean and safe distance from the road and safe next to rivers etc..

Norway is a hikers and campers dream destination. We drove from Cork, across, to Wales, england-> netherlands, germany, denmark, sweden, norway, and camped all the way.

Wild camping in denmark are cyclist huts that are free and clean toilets along the way, perfect for one night, the netherlands dont allow it any more... but if anyone wants links etc.. feel free to reach out.

We stayed on a hostel in Svalbard, didnt see polar bears, but saw, whales, seals, walrus, arctic fox, reindeer, and a million huskies...had to creak through ice in the water on a ship to Pyramiden - I would highly recommend getting there if it can stretch in the budget..

Also to note.. not once on the whole trip was covid/ vaccination status checked for or even discussed.. its a distant memory there/ the odd aged covid centre sign up around the place... and even in Germany, that have requirements, nothing was asked at all..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

Nice ...

Wil definetely do Svalbard in another dedicated trip, so did you fly to Svalbard from Tromso ?

Did you drive all the way up to northern norway from europe ??

some roadtrip.

We flew into Narvik.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

If anyone is interested, the young youtubers 'lost in transit' we're travelling around Norway in a campervan and uploaded daily vlogs in june. Absolutely stunning scenery. They also did the wild Atlantic way.

I drove from Cork far as Oslo and got connecting flights to Svalbard via Tromso... its very well done.. you get off one plane and get back on the same plane again, so no airport hassle. We then drove Oslo to Geirangerfjord, so thats more west than very north, but still had serious snow enroute... below is a picture of the road.. but all roads clear to drive! epic.

Svalbard is the next stop ...

Flights to Svalbard look tricky. Ireland - Oslo - Tromso - Longyearbyen for the most part with an overnight on the way over or way back or both.

• Advertisement

Yes. it won't be dublin btw, but I have the same issue, it's 3 flights ...

I haven't seen an option either of booking all the legs on 1 ticket which is putting me off. If you miss one leg or something happens you're goosed.

I‘M a little bit of a Norway veteran, have fine Hurtigruten route several times, in mid summer heat of 27C in the arctic northmost to mild Bergen which never seems to get any different whatever time of year. I’ve done the Christmas voyage, absolutely delightful with great food, great for an enjoyable low key kind of journey. I’ve done the dog sledding a couple of times, Uber friendly dogs who live all visitors. I’ve visited Svålbard in summer, 18C 24 hour sunshine, with its Russian base. Wonder how that’s going.

I’ve stayed in Bergen’s couple of times, lovely safe city, people moor their yachts right at city centre, right by quay, no bother.

Sone if the Clarion Choice hotels offer Bed, Breakfast, Supper, and afternoon waffles & coffee for overnight price, such that you get your film for the day at an affordable price.

Hurtigruten overs relatively affordable value for Norway in that there’s plentiful pretty good food. You can bring your own booze in your suitcase, they won’t be checking. It’s a stupendous price in Norway although they will keep your bottle safe from meal to meal.

I’ve enjoyed horse riding in Lofotrn Islands, which are just like Connemara on steroids. Beautiful white beaches. This is above arctic circle, but quite mild, and some people swim in the sea of 12C.

I swam in Vesteralen and Andorja (6c) this summer :)

bracing!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Advertisement