Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norway !!! Far far up North in Norway!!!

Options
  • 15-02-2020 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Hi looking to go to Norway this July, I would like to head north - around Tromso - although looking at the Lofoten islands is really nice too .. but way up there in the arctic circle is my preference.
    Looking at flights and have to go via Oslo (fair enough) - but is quite expensive, I was thinking of waiting till that 6 week before sweet spot for cheaper flights and using booking.com for the accomodation (free cancellation if the flights don't work out.)
    Another option is a train from Oslo to Bodo - according to maps there is a train line that goes that far north but can't seem to book tickets on it...

Anyone been to that part of Norway, and whats the best way of getting there - will flights get cheaper ? right now looking at about 300E return ... that adds up when it's a family of 4.

Also thinking of Just staying around the Oslo area and maybe heading up as far as Trondheim with a rented car ... dunno, any experiences/advise appreciated .

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Speed limits are very low in Norway and fines for breaking them very high. It's also about 7hrs by car from Oslo to Trondheim, train would be better or just stay in Trondheim and use that as a base. Not done this but friends who live there have done a lot of travelling up north and would go from Trondheim. Have you considered Bergen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Bergen, no it looks nice, but I have this lifelong dream of seeing the 24 hour daylight ... also is Bergen near those Fjords where the Goblins finger is - with a 2hour queue to get on it ? that would depress the f*ck outta me to be honest, I'd rather go as far north and away from the crowds as possible ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I went to Bodo from Oslo by train a few years ago. I took the night departure from Oslo to Trondheim and then connected to the Bodo train. I got a return for around 60 Euro by booking in advance.

There is a town called Narvik which is more north than Bodo but that is only accessible by train via Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

We spent 3 weeks in Norway a few years ago. First half travelling roundtrip around the fjords/oslo/bergen/trondheim/alesund then flew up to Tromso and popped over the lofoten from there. Flew home from tromso via Oslo. One way car rental was prohibitively expensive, thus the two part roundtrip. We flew SAS and the flights were pretty reasonable, and that was july and august. It was one of our best holidays ever, would highly recommend. The arctic circle was amazing so would recommend going up north if possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Lofoten is spectacular. I took the train up to Bodo (via Trondheim) and got the ferry to Svolvaer, and then flew back from Leknes. It's a long journey, so I'd certainly fly one leg.

Train tickets should be bookable on the Norwegian Rail site, unless they only open 3 months in advance or something.

• Advertisement

I went to Bodo from Oslo by train a few years ago. I took the night departure from Oslo to Trondheim and then connected to the Bodo train. I got a return for around 60 Euro by booking in advance.

There is a town called Narvik which is more north than Bodo but that is only accessible by train via Sweden.
    Thanks a lot ! Good to know!

Minier81 wrote: »
    We spent 3 weeks in Norway a few years ago. First half travelling roundtrip around the fjords/oslo/bergen/trondheim/alesund then flew up to Tromso and popped over the lofoten from there. Flew home from tromso via Oslo. One way car rental was prohibitively expensive, thus the two part roundtrip. We flew SAS and the flights were pretty reasonable, and that was july and august. It was one of our best holidays ever, would highly recommend. The arctic circle was amazing so would recommend going up north if possible.

How expensive are we talking ?

We were in Iceland in 2017 and paid ~€500 for a 4x4 for 1 week ... that kind of ballpark ?

edit:- according to this seems reasonable ...

https://go.easycar.com/en/book?pickupDateTime=2020-07-16T10%3A30&returnDateTime=2020-07-23T10%3A30&age=30&clientID=521444&residenceID=IE&elID=811581610168783&_ga=2.123669131.1048047239.1581846565-1542399865.1581846565%26_gac%3D1.50377819.1581846565.Cj0KCQiA7aPyBRChARIsAJfWCgKTOCxVplurJv1VzqdU0YF7zotvmrDrf9Bwk9rzr8GVsK-jHm53JlkaAgBBEALw_wcB&pickupLocation=3998&returnLocation=3998&curr=eur#/vehicles

One-way - renting in Oslo and dropping off in Trondheim - would add a decent extra cost though if that's your plan.

cdeb wrote: »
    One-way - renting in Oslo and dropping off in Trondheim - would add a decent extra cost though if that's your plan.

ah!!! sorry, ok .. no we would do a circle ...

thnks

A circle is a long way is the problem. Plus Trondheim isn't "far far up north" really! It's less than half-way up. Oslo to Trondheim is about 8 hours by train, and then it's another 8 hours to Bodo - and that's not barely in the Arctic Circle. You could drive another 15 hours before reaching Nordkapp for example.

I think in practical terms with a limited timeframe, it wouldn't really be an option for what you set out in the first part of your OP. If you're going to hire a car, Lofoten is more compact and a better place for it I think.

• Advertisement

Booked the accomodation ... exhausted ... travelling around top of lofoten, Senja and Tromso.
    Still need to book flight and car ...

Narvik airport has good deals for cars ... flights we found some for about 260eur return , im thinking if it's this price now, they'll get cheaper in the next few months ... sweet spot is 6/5 weeks before flight ..
    Problem is Kayak doesn't advise, because it's a non direct flight...

260 seems decent enough for return flights to somewhere small and obscure-ish like Narvik I'd have thought.

It'll take a full day anyway to drive to A at the end of Lofoten. But there's stop-offs that are worth it. The Svolvaer goat leap is not for the faint-hearted, but it's definitely worth at least looking up at, or even climbing a bit of the way up to (it's a tough climb, with some parts where you have to pull yourself up by rope - maybe not family-friendly) Svolvaer also has an ice bar and a local WWII museum. Henningsvaer is famous for its football pitch and you can get some nice photos of it in a photo shop in the town. Further down, the Viking Museum near Leknes is good; try some mead, play a game of Viking chess with the staff, or go to sea in a Viking longboat. The beaches at Ramberg are almost entirely unexpected, and the climb to the Reinebringen should be open again with spectacular views of the lovely town of Reine below. Ferries from Reine bring you to towns which don't have road access on the other side of the peninsula.

For hiking, Munkebu is about 3 hours each way and brings you into the interior of Lofoten. Then you can head to the end of the road in A, and a short walk past local cod-drying stacks will bring you to look out point out to the islands of Vaeroy and Rost in the distance. You can get a boat trip out to the maelstrom - whirlpool - that often forms in the sea; Edgar Allen Poe's short story A Descent Into the Maelstrom is set in Lofoten.

The roads are narrow (often boithrín narrow) but decent, but take care passing cars and larger vehicles. The bridges will carry warnings if the wind is dangerously strong (Lofoten is one of the windiest places in the world apparently) The E10 is the main road from Narvik to A, but the side roads are nice too.

cdeb wrote: »
    260 seems decent enough for return flights to somewhere small and obscure-ish like Narvik I'd have thought.

It'll take a full day anyway to drive to A at the end of Lofoten. But there's stop-offs that are worth it. The Svolvaer goat leap is not for the faint-hearted, but it's definitely worth at least looking up at, or even climbing a bit of the way up to (it's a tough climb, with some parts where you have to pull yourself up by rope - maybe not family-friendly) Svolvaer also has an ice bar and a local WWII museum. Henningsvaer is famous for its football pitch and you can get some nice photos of it in a photo shop in the town. Further down, the Viking Museum near Leknes is good; try some mead, play a game of Viking chess with the staff, or go to sea in a Viking longboat. The beaches at Ramberg are almost entirely unexpected, and the climb to the Reinebringen should be open again with spectacular views of the lovely town of Reine below. Ferries from Reine bring you to towns which don't have road access on the other side of the peninsula.

For hiking, Munkebu is about 3 hours each way and brings you into the interior of Lofoten. Then you can head to the end of the road in A, and a short walk past local cod-drying stacks will bring you to look out point out to the islands of Vaeroy and Rost in the distance. You can get a boat trip out to the maelstrom - whirlpool - that often forms in the sea; Edgar Allen Poe's short story A Descent Into the Maelstrom is set in Lofoten.

The roads are narrow (often boithrín narrow) but decent, but take care passing cars and larger vehicles. The bridges will carry warnings if the wind is dangerously strong (Lofoten is one of the windiest places in the world apparently) The E10 is the main road from Narvik to A, but the side roads are nice too.

Thanks a lot!

The Maelstrom - I think that was the place featured in Cixin Liu's Death's End ...

All booked !!

I for one cannot wait to visit the home of Saint Tibulas!!

Two things, as Norway is outside the EU - my sons passport expires a few weeks after we leave Norway, is this a problem >?
    Like for USA your passport has to be valid for 6 months AFTER you leave the USA .... stupid rule.

Same for my driving licence, it expires a month after I leave - will this be a problem renting a car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

No issues whatsoever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Norway is in EFTA, so their rules are similar to ours.

Top tip is to use the cruise control to ensure you don't accidentally speed when on open roads. The cops and speed cameras are many and ruthless.

Well, we have an extra year at least to save and I am starting to have a nice idea of heading up to Svalbard, flights on SAS are decent prices from Tromso, idea would be to fly up and stay for 2/3 days max, not rent a car, we'll get local tour guides, don't wanna be killed by a polar bear. :)

• Advertisement

You'll really enjoy it next year after you heartbreak of missing it this year!!
    We stayed in Henningsvaer that is linked above as our base for lofoten. It was gorgeous,would recommend if you were still including lofoten in your itinerary, but you'd really need a car for there.

For sure the idea is to rent a car in Tromso/Narvik (this was all booked for next month :mad:) and go around Senja/Lofoten, maybe some of that coast below Lofoten that is supposed to be stunning - more time next year so will most definetely include that .

Svalbard is something I'm thinking of on the outside .... but getting more and more tempted ...go for 2 days maybe , and not rent a car there ...
    but again, dunno ... looks pricey , but not too bad relative, flights and hostels seem decent for Norway !!

We found accommodation pretty reasonable value, flights reasonable too. Car rental wasn't cheap and loads of ferries to add to the car costs. Food and drink were pricey. Stayed in a mixture of hotels, guesthouses and air bnb.

Minier81 wrote: »
    We found accommodation pretty reasonable value, flights reasonable too. Car rental wasn't cheap and loads of ferries to add to the car costs. Food and drink were pricey. Stayed in a mixture of hotels, guesthouses and air bnb.

Are you talking about northern Norway or Svalbard ? :)

Oh
    Norway in general, did not make it to svalbard.

...ANNNNND another year to wait, beginning to think it's never gonna happen ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It's killing, isn't it? I was meant to be going to China last spring. Instead the family members I was going out to see, as well as being my base for visiting the country, have been repatriated to Europe so in my case it will definitely never happen now. Norway OTOH - you will get a chance, hopefully. But it's so frustrating. You have my sympathies.

It's fookin on again BABY!!!!

Brilliant! Was only thinking about this thread and your trip lately. It will be worth the wait! Next summer?

• Advertisement

Yes looks like next summer since Norway seem to have opened their borders again, just so long as there is no 5th,6th,7th waves - or it least there will be but if they handle them sensibly and realise hospitals won't collapse .... should be grand...

Advertisement