Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with cmod actions

Options
  • 02-02-2020 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I have two related issues with the actions of a cmod.
    1. Selective deletion of posts resulting in a distortion of what was actually said
    2. Calling the deleted posts defamatory. This is in effect calling the posters (including myself) liars.

As it was a cmod whose actions I am disputing, I would like to request an admin to look at this at this point.

This is the thread in question:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057636811

Several posters, including myself, made negative posts about one of the doctors. These posts were deleted by MarkR.

I contacted MarkR suggesting that it was inappropriate to leave positive posts about the doctor up but to remove the negative ones. This distorts what the consensus actually was.I explicitly said I wasn't looking for the negative posts to be restored as I took it that there might have been legal issues with doing so.

MarkR responded by referring to the posts as defamatory and that there was nothing wrong with the positive posts.

I said if the negative reviews for a product were deleted but the positive ones left up, you would say that is dishonest. I said that this was in effect the same thing. I took exception to the description of the posts as defamatory as it was effectively calling the me and the other posters liars.

MarkR said he would not respond further.

It is my view that it is improper to leave positive reviews of a service in place if negative ones are being removed and would like the thread to be changed accordingly - or just deleted altogether if that is simpler.

I also did not appreciate being effectively called a liar. I am not. I was quite polite and I expected the same in response. I would have thought moderators should maintain a neutral tone in general.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This forum deals with cards and bans. As neither have been applied here I'm moving this to Help Desk

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, in his forum anyone can contribute, but replies are pre-moderated. Hence either of the relevant CMods can contribute should they wish

Posting negative comments about anyone can be potentially defamatory. The starting point on this site is to remove such comments to protect both site and indeed poster from potential legal action. Hence if the mod exercised discretion in removing posts that is entirely within their remit

In terms of yourself blergh I suspect that may not be your real name and indeed you have a right to anonymity. My own understanding is defamation only applies to identifiable individuals therefore implying a non-identifiable poster as a liar is not, on the face of it, defamatory

Regardless of all the above though - only mods can see you have had posts deleted and until you started this thread others would have been non the wiser. Equally the description of posts being possibly defamatory does not mean they are, and indeed for all I know you comments may have been accurate. Hence posters should not assume that because their posts are removed they are actually defamatory, or they are being accused of lying - it is the risk they may be considered defamatory that concerns the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I wasn't accusing anyone of defamation. I just don't appreciate someone accusing me of it - at least twice via PM as well as the comment on the thread.

I understand your position which is why I never looked for the negative posts to be restored. However I think my amazon reviews analogy holds true too, and the current fake positive impression communicated by the thread is not desirable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement