Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmills For Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

The missus has previously had a couple of York treadmills and both failed quite early (motors). She's lightweight, but a heavy user (about 45 mins daily). After the Yorks, she switched to a Nordic Track C200, bought from McSport. She had the Nordic Track for 4 years, but 2 consoles failed. The first was fixed under warranty, the second we paid to have fixed. When this console failed, she ended up buying a new treadmill from Gymfix. This model [URL=]http://www.gymfixireland.ie/sprint-7.php[/URL]

She's delighted with it and has had it one year now, in daily use. Gymfix were excellent. We moved house one year ago. Gymfix came to the old house, dismantled the Nordic Track and took it away, giving us EUR 150 trade-in against the new machine. They then followed us to the new house and installed the new treadmill there. Great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thanks pm9999... I was looking at Nordic Track and they are a particular favorite in the price range and seem to be getting good reviews too... but food for thought there, thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Related question: I want to get a treadmill for home but I was told that suppliers won’t move the item to an upstairs room which is my only free space. Has anyone run into this problem and overcome it?

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Related question: I want to get a treadmill for home but I was told that suppliers won’t move the item to an upstairs room which is my only free space. Has anyone run into this problem and overcome it?

I’m just wondering would the first port of call be to ask why they won’t move it upstairs ?

Could it be be health and safety issue for their staff ?

Wary of damaging carpet, walls, furnishings during moving / installation ?

Could be wary of being liable for installing a very heavy machine upstairs and impact on the floor over a period of time ? A treadmill weighing say 100 kgs plus a user of 90kgs, the pounding impact over time could potentially damage floorboards I’d guess. That’s a gross of 190kgs / 420 lbs, utilized regularly upstairs over a relatively small space.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Strumms wrote: »
    Could it be be health and safety issue for their staff ?
    I’d say that’s definitely the reason.
    And the delivery company has it in their terms.

Could be wary of being liable for installing a very heavy machine upstairs and impact on the floor over a period of time ? A treadmill weighing say 100 kgs plus a user of 90kgs, the pounding impact over time could potentially damage floorboards I’d guess. That’s a gross of 190kgs / 420 lbs, utilized regularly upstairs over a relatively small space.
    Nah, there’s no way they be liable for anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Same when we got ours delivered they would bring it to the ground floor only. Getting it up the bloody stairs was a nightmare!

Here’s the issue: if the company’s health and safety policy means they do not deliver to the room required then they should advertise that with the advertisement for the treadmill. “Can only be delivered to a ground floor room”. Alternatively they could invest in a motorized stair climbing dolly but that would require mental effort. H&S is just the lazy excuse to make a sale and dump and go.

So for other users it would make a good sticky.

I needed treadmill for health reasons so I got it and got professional moving firm to deal with it. They told me they were getting more calls like mine and that I was lucky they didn’t leave it outside house.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Here’s the issue: if the company’s health and safety policy means they do not deliver to the room required then they should advertise that with the advertisement for the treadmill. “Can only be delivered to a ground floor room”. Alternatively they could invest in a motorized stair climbing dolly but that would require mental effort. H&S is just the lazy excuse to make a sale and dump and go.
    Would make no sense to include that with the advertisement as there’s nothing stopping it being installed upstairs (No motorised dolly needed). But you need to pay for that service, can hardly expect them to do it fir free.

Mellor wrote: »
    Would make no sense to include that with the advertisement as there’s nothing stopping it being installed upstairs (No motorised dolly needed). But you need to pay for that service, can hardly expect them to do it fir free.

They need to make clear that THEY don’t bring it upstairs.

I needed treadmill for health reasons so I got it and got professional moving firm to deal with it. They told me they were getting more calls like mine and that I was lucky they didn’t leave it outside house.

Food for thought, thanks all for your inputs here. Luckily I don’t have space upstairs and where I do, kitchen come dining room it will slot in nicely next to the exercise bike without the area being too cramped, well cramped a bit but hey...

• Advertisement
Advertisement