Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭jj880

It was set up by fan Kanhai Raval who wrote, “There're millions of people who want Sony PlayStation to approve Days Gone 2 and I want all fans to sign this petition. They can’t just pull the plug on such an amazing game that ended with a cliffhanger.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I started a petition for Ace Combat 8. Currently have 4 signatures, about 3 more then i expected tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Deacon St John died on the way to his home planet, The Land of Terrible Names.

There you go, cliffhanger resolved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Retrogamer, retrogam3r, retro_gamer, gamerofretro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,228 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They could set the sequel 30 years in the future, starring Deacon St. John's son; John.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luna84

Ace combat games are the worst games I never played. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Days Gone 2. John 'Deacon Jr' St. John II makes his way from the wilderness of Oregon to Portland where he encounters something far worse than zombies.

Hipsters on Segways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Electric bikes but the only way to charge them is by looting AA batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

And Retr0 as the zombie known as 'Combat'.

His arms are spread out like wings and he spins them around like the top rotor on a helicopter. Dangerous. Very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's only January and you have a contender for GotY already. 2009's game of the year has just been updated.

Dong dong never die is back baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Purchased Minecraft XBox disk version for 20 sterling on Amazon for my daughter. Comes with 3500 minecoins that .... random google ... cost 20 quid in Smyths. 😮

MS got Minecraft for a bargain price. 2.5 billion dollars. I wonder how much it would sell for today ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love the detail put into Prince of Persia's animations; face one way, then jump the other direction & the character does a back flip instead of the normal jump. It's the little things.

Yeah, have to say it's a finely crafted game. Feels on par with Ori and Guacamelee for me. Story is a bit meh, which keeps it below the above 2, but still a really well made game. They're onto a winner with this. I'm only 12 hours in but i see a trilogy coming. And I'm all for it.

I also feel weird calling these games Metroidvania, considering I've played neither Metroid nor Castlevania.

Not played Castlevania or Metroid but makes time for days gone...

In my defence, not a lot of time. Not sure why Metroid passed me by, I had a SNES. Same with Castlevania, don't know why I never got them. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hot take from a Metroidvania junkie: Super Metroid was a pile of crap a little shaky from that era of "phone this hot line to learn which indistinguishable brick is the one to shoot" game design. It walked so better games could run.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭McFly85

Agreed. I’ve played it just to play it, but it hasn’t aged well as an example of the genre - and the first castlevania that tried - Simon’s Quest - was the same. Inexplicable processes that the player couldn’t know without some sort of guide.

Symphony of the Night was the first proper Metroidvania from either series that holds up well.

Honestly think Super Metroid is one of the best designed games of all time. There's a a lot in there that developers should learn about organic ways to teach the player how to play the game. There's really nothing in there that needs a walkthrough, although saying that the noob tube did catch me out the first time I played it. I can't really think of a metroidvania that comes close to it other than Castlevania Symphony of the Night or maybe Axiom Verge although I've yet to complete that one.

What was so obtuse about it that you didn't get on with it? Honestly I'm a bit baffled by the response to the game. It would be up in my top 10 games of all time.

I mean yes, Simon's quest is a load of old nonsense that definitely requires external advice on how to beat it. Super Metroid is nothing like that game. Unless you are mistaking the first NES game which can be an ordeal unless you get the graph paper out and make a map.

All these years later, I think Super Metroid is still the game others in the genre should aspire too. For the small amount of things about it that have aged (like the aforementioned tunnel), so much of it still shines through as a near-perfect example of the form. Indeed, I can take of very few games of its era that have aged as well as it has. In terms of atmosphere in particular, it remains the GOAT.

Plenty of fun modern Metroidvanias and some with welcome modern conveniences, but yeah Super Metroid is still the boss (or should I say Mother Brain) of them all.

I felt the same when it comes to Roguelikes for a different reason. On the very first PC we had (MS-DOS), there was a game on it that I could never get the hang of playing. It confused the hell out of me. Any time I thought of it years later, I could never remember the name of it, and just thought of it as "The Kestral Game", because enemies on-screen would just be represented by a letter; E was an Emu, O was an Orc, K was a Kestral etc. For some reason that stuck with me because I didn't know what a Kestrel was.

A few years ago when all these "Rogue-likes" started appearing, I wondered "What the hell is Rogue?" So I looked it up. It was the f*cking Kestral Game!

Not only am I old enough to have played the original Rogue, I'm so old that I forgot I played Rogue.

• Advertisement

Played a while back, found it super basic and rough as hell, and its aggressive gatekeeping of progress was just antithetical to good design. Yes it does a lot of things well that many Metroidvanias don't - but TBH the genre is so flush now, I just put down to the volume of the genre creating a lot of mediocrity. And IMO there's a lot of nostalgia at play when assessing something like SM. As noted already, Symphony of the Night was the point the genre properly crystallised, Super Metroid was just a beta idea.

There's no genre I play more than Metroidvania these days & my Switch wishlist is basically mostly those kind of games - but Super Metroid? Nah, it ain't that good.

I was watching Room to Improve last night (well the missus was, I was on the couch arsing around on my phone). I couldn't believe my ears when the RDR2 loading screen music started playing on it. They used it as atmospheric background music.

Theme 3 from this link (20:51)

To be fair, I could be! It’s been ages since I went on a binge of them all at once after going through Fusion, which I loved. I might have to go back to it at some stage and try again.

In terms of Metroidvanias though, I still think SotN is king. Finding out that you’re only half done with the map when you think you’re all done was one of the most mindblowing gaming experiences back when it came out and pretty much instantly made the genre a favourite of mine.

SoTN is great as well obviously, but what I’d give SM extra credit for is how it implemented movement and platforming in the genre. If SoTN offers up the great Metroidvania map, SM to me is a masterpiece of the evolving moveset. Though turning into animals in the former is fun too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭jj880

That is cool. Never heard of this game. You learn something every day. Was 1993 before I got my first PC. Bundled game by that stage was Ports Of Call.

Ah gaming memories of the 80s/90s are still the best for me! Mother caught me playing Leisure Suit Larry when I was 13. 😆 Simpler times.

Before that it was Roland On The Ropes on Amstrad CPC.

• Advertisement

A remaster of Super Metroid would turn my head, all that said 'cos shave off the rough edges of its prototypical structure and it'd be a winner.

We has Leisure Suit Larry too. I remember you had to answer questions to prove you were over the age of 18 but after a few tries you were able to just remember which answer let you through to the next one. Think one of the questions was about Ronald Reagan 😂

We also had the original Prince of Persia, Police Quest, Classic Concentration and Granny's Garden.

I should note I only ever got around to Super Metroid on Wii, so while there may be some nostalgia at play (inevitable with games played at an earlier age) it’s a few generations later of nostalgia than having played it at launch :)

Yep I played super Metroid well after it came out. Probably early 2000s through emulation as I never had a SNES when I was younger. It blew me away how good it was.

I still think there's stuff that SM does better than any other Metroid. It teaches you relatively quickly to bomb any interesting features to uncover hidden paths. There's also the fact that it hides from the player that you actually have a very extensive Moveset from the start so when you replay you can really break the game with some of those abilities and the game actively encourages that. It's flow and how it organically teaches the player to explore and try stuff out is what sets it a part from other metroidvania's which kind of just gate stuff behind abilities.

The only games I think come close to that flow are La Mulana (which is a whole different type of metroidvania) and axiom verge with its glitch gun.

I really couldn't call it a proto metroidvania, there's lots of NES exploratory platformers and games like Wonderboy 3 that fit that. Super Metroid is kind of the first modern metroidvania but it also managed to perfect the genre on its first go.

Rogue likes are a very strange genre. There were hundreds of them on PC as they are quite simple to code. You might not have even played the original rogue as there's tonnes of games based off of it. You could well have played Nethack which is the most popular iteration.

The genre kind of disappeared in the west other than Nethack but in Japan the mystery dungeon games by chunsoft kept the genre in the public eye as the first was based on dragon quest and so was massively popular. Its kind of funny looking back on the reviews of the handful of rogue likes that came to the west and how they just couldn't grasp how they worked. They all get annoyed at lose progress and exp on death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I hope RTE paid the licensee fee for using that music.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

BTW I just want to back up Grumpypants that if you have Netflix then pick up into the breach on mobile. Fantastic game that works brilliantly on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Aria of Sorrow is a better Symphony of the Night than Symphony of the Night. Save for an utterly game-breaking exploit or two.

Also, the notion of "nostalgia bias" has become such a crutch to dismiss older media. It assumes a lot and, much like any accusation of bias, feels like it's aimed to shut down debate more than anything. It's right behind "ludonarrative dissonance" in terms of Youtube essay beats that make me tune out of a video in 2 seconds flats.

Not fair: I didn't suggest nostalgia as a catalyst for a positive reception of Metroid out of a desire to "shut down" conversation, but more than I think like Recency Bias, is a cognitive behavour that can inform one's lasting impressions on something. And is why often I'll consciously avoid old games, movies or TV from my childhood 'cos they can generally disappoint on re-evaluation.

Agreed on Ludonarrative Dissonance, though been a long while since I saw anyone seriously using that term; it seemed to get a bit pilloried not long after it cropped up.

Regency bias is definitely a thing, plenty of games suffer from it. Lots of games being held up as classics now that we're very much always regarded as mid or on re-evaluation aren't all that good. I do feel with some old games though people sometimes need to approach them on their own terms rather than what is expected from modern games. Like someone proclaiming that Megaman 2 is garbage because they started the game up and got absolutely bodied by the game on their first go.

I'm still baffled by the super Metroid slander, so much so that I think I'm going to give the Days Gone bashing a break because this is so much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed. Playing through Goldeneye now is pretty rough, but good god did that game change the industry.

Regency Bias?

Is that just someone who plays a bit too much Crusader Kings? (lookst at @ancapailldorcha )

And I'm not bashing Super Metroid, or at least "pile of crap" was possibly a bit hyperbolic and definitely retract that wording.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember having just mastered the basics of Crusader Kings II when Paradox announced Crusader Kings III. I still feel a bit salty about it but I don't really play either so much any more. Other titles sort of shoved it aside. CK2 is dead and CK3 was a bit boring as Paradox titles launch with very little flavour for each country or ruler the player chooses.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

For all the fair criticism of how modern game design trends have removed a lot of the interesting friction and challenge from games (mainly in the AAA space), it’s impossible to deny other aspects of modernisation - such as near universal control language and a vast suite of quality of life improvements - are generally a very positive thing. I think that’s why going back to many old games can be so jarring - you often have to relearn the fundamentals and endure rougher edges before even getting to grips with the thing as a piece of art or design.

While there are some limitations for anyone diving into older film (such as different visual language and more exaggerated acting styles), it’s nowhere near the learning or readjustment curve faced when going back to classic games. And no medium ages faster than gaming - the dawn of 3D graphics in particular led to a lot of stuff that has aged like unrefrigerated milk, even when doing very interesting things with the new form.

I think on goldeneye's case it's more how it aged and feels dated than it not being good at release. Its more games like earthworm Jim that looked amazing but in retrospect are a bit mediocre. Or say legend of dragoon being held up as a classic jrpg when it got hammered in reviews and regarded as being a genre low point for the longest time.

There's a lot of I grew up with this game and it's awesome and I won't listen to any criticism of it.

Being hardcore enough to enjoy contra is like being racist enough to enjoy birth of a nation.

There’s definitely games I still enjoy but would find it hard to recommend to others who never played them - like the recently re-released Golden Sun games.

I love them, they’re comfort games for me, I play through them regularly enough, but I can’t imagine many people would get as much out of them today considering the relatively simple presentation and gameplay(also the intro is interminably long and really tested my patience in my latest playthrough).

The music is still amazing though.

Yep I liked Golden Sun at the time but looking back at it it was the first new rpg for the GBA when the system was in need of RPGs and it looked gorgeous. Now I recognise it as a stealth sequel to PS1 garbage rpg Beyond the Beyond and while it's not as bad it's still very bland and crummy.

Motoi Sakuraba didn't hold back composing that soundtrack though.

One of Camelots other GBA games, Mario Golf Advance tour, is, however, a stone cold classic that’s just as good today as it was when it was released, one of the best golf games ever.

Ive bought all of the follow up Mario golf games and none of them hold a candle to it.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's brilliant. Their GBC game was excellent as well. They also did some great tennis games and it was them that worked on the first few everybody's golf games for Sony.

Advertisement