Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Kena is a cracking game. Love it.

Looks like GoldenEye 007 is coming to Xbox, one of the achievement tracking sites has the full list and 2 people with ties to Rare have unlocked some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pretty sure that was mentioned yesterday in the Xbox thread.

Never played the original on N64 due to not having one. 🤣

It was pretty much a staple in our house at college. I never really took to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just downloaded it last night and played for about 20 mins just to suss it out, it's certainly a gorgeous looking game [playing on PC, bought from Epic store] 1440p with everything maxed and my humble GTX 1660 is handling it beautifully - love me some 3D adventure style platformers. Will give it a better go next weekend for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It seems the consensus is that Witcher 3 becomes the Witcher 3 everyone raves about at around the 20ish hour mark. While I have a lot of affection for the game and would consider a great experience, anything that needs 20 hours to get going really needs to reassess its priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't say 20, but maybe if you do everything in White Orchid before moving on. Then it's the Bloody Baron quest onwards where it starts coming into its own. That could be done in a few hours if you're not a collectionist! But I loved it from the get go. I had only discovered and played 1 and 2 on PC shortly before this came out, so I was already invested in it. Wouldn't mind a remaster of 2.

I stupidly downloaded Lawnmower Simulator on XSX. It's boring, bland, repetative and at least at the start very restricted. But I can't stop playing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do really like Witcher 3, but there’s too many caveats to that to make it one of my absolute favourite games. The mission design is typically bland, the combat is simple and repetitive, the RPG menus / loot systems incredibly fiddly etc… It really is entirely sold on its unusually strong writing, impeccable graphics and atmosphere (still one of the best looking games you can play, especially on PC), fun side activities and of course Gwent.

I think you can definitely get to the good stuff before 20 hours in - don’t get bogged down by open world stuff too early. The game people rave about is there. It’s just there’s a lot of noise involved in its big, sprawling running time 😅

If the upgrade is indeed free for existing owners of the game I'll endeavour to get past that section of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

What are the chances of Sony releasing a PS5 bundle this year? Something like a Gran Turismo 7 bundle (console and game)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If I had to guess, I'd say it's relatively unlikely until the general console shortage issue passes.

Do you have a PS5 already? I'm a Xbox fan myself and gaming PC. Never took to PS. My brother got a Gamecube years ago around when it was released and I played it more than he did. And then I picked up an original Xbox and modded it. Then moved onto the 360 and gamed on that playing nearly every game that came out on it in the early years and then stopped gaming for a couple of years. I had a powerful PC at the time so all I had to do was buy a gaming GPU and I was then a PC gamer.(that was a couple of years ago). And I then picked up a Xbox one late into it's cycle and then a Xbox One X at midnight launch and now a Series X at launch too.

Mad rant....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Is The Forest any good? I read it's right to there is you looked Subnautica which has me intrigued. Can't seem to find a physical copy for PlayStation though, is it digital only?

The Forest is great if horror, survival, base building appeals. Even better with a friend.

The less you know about the game going in, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I never played the original despite positive reviews but I'm looking forward to the sequel, Sons of the Forest, which looks fecking mad.

I see The Forest has gone down to 6 euro over the last few months, will wait for another sale. I think I'm looking for something like Subnautica but don't think I'll find anything to match. The Long Dark is another option. Think I'll just reinstall Subnautica.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Got Kena. I like it so far.

No urgency, no mountain of collectibles, simple combat, satisfying abilities. Relaxing to play.

That's what I was thinking Ori and the blind forest was going to be like(I never read anything about it so went in blind) How wrong I was. It's a really difficult game.

I stopped playing it. I'm goner beyond playing difficult games especially now with so many games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The one thing I'm not a fan of in Kena, is the health system especially during Boss fights. I'm on one now in the second half of the game and I only have 2 chances to heal, I'd say I've died at least 30 times already. It's totally wrecking my head. It's the corrupted woodsmith fight fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Lol. After bitching about that boss in Kena I just beat it after finding a much easier strategy to defeat it using bombs😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm sometimes of a similar mind. sometimes i'll play for the challenge, sometimes i dial it down to p1$$ easy and just tear through it feeling like a badass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Long Dark is great. Played it just in survival mode a couple of years back and came back to it recently for all the story stuff they've added, probably my favourite survival game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'd stay clear of the forest. It is a nice concept but got bored trouncing around an island with NOTHING note worthy on it. Some huts, some bodies, little to do but craft and build.

If you like building, have at it. But survival/horror was a let down.

Yeah, i was looking up a lot of videos and the forest seems great in concept but i think I'd get bored. I played about 20 minutes of The Long Dark, really interesting premise but i was playing on ps now and trying to try as many games as i could in my trial and never went back to it. Will keep an eye out for a sales on that.

Reinstalled Subnautica and started a survivor playthrough. I must have completed 6 times now but always with the hunger/thirst turned off so finally gonna try do it the default way. Goddamn what an absolutely brilliant game.

How many in game days did you play? Me and a buddy played the hell out of it, the game ramps up as you go, especially after day 7. Being surrounded at night is a terrifying experience unless you're well protected by your base.

There's also a story to follow with two endings, if that's your thing.

I think it's the best survival type game out there. Especially in coop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Played 7-8 hours. Not sure how many days that lends to.

Met, encountered and fought the locals many nights but there was zero to do for most of the experience. Maybe just got unlucky with the generation of the island but have zero interest going back.

On another note, got Valheim and feels like the complete opposite, with a ton of stuff to do.

Well went back to this game this evening and love it kinda. Still tricky at times. I was playing Halo 2 and after just completing Halo 1 and going into 2 after a while I said I will play something else just for a change.

I was stuck at this damn tree and it was really difficult to climb with the one hit kill spikes. Manged to get to the top and there was three enemies in wait. Got through it eventually and there was nothing to do up there so wasted a tonne of time and going there without having double jump was a mistake. I have double jump now so it would be a lot easier.

Still a tricky game at times though but manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm way behind the times, apparently an Expanse game was announced last month. That's class. It's Telltale, that's not so class but you're playing as Drummer. That's class.

But a AAA third-person/first person shooter with exploration would've been really class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is that the tree with the water chasing you up it? thats a notorius difficulty spike, once you get beyond that, you'll be flying for most of the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I finally watched that Xbox documentary (well most of it). Got to the end of the 4th episode and had enough. The first 3 episodes were pretty good, the story of the original Xbox is really interesting, but the 4th episode was basically 40 mins of Xbox propaganda. They more or less claimed to have created the FPS, dual stick controls, LAN parties, local 4-player, online multiplayer, subscription services, co-op games, 3D games and (most hilariously) social media. They sometimes note that they didn't actually create some of these things, then immediately proceed to act like they did. Someone should hire a blimp to fly over Xbox headquarters with the release dates of GoldenEye, Alien Resurrection and Timesplitters printed on the side. Also I know Halo is a beloved and influential game, but they are acting like it is the universally agreed greatest game of all time. If Ocarina of Time or Half Life were spoken about like this I would have considered it excessive.

This episode could also serve as a documentary about everything that was wrong with gaming in the 2000's, the obnoxious 'fans', media outlets that were basically PR hired by Microsoft and the ridiculous excessive announcement and launch events. These aren't exclusive to MS but they definitely were the worst for these IIRC. I don't think I can get through the last 2 episodes, even though I would have thought they would be the most interesting considering they are about the RROD and TV TV TV. Now that all the interesting talking heads are gone there are only cheerleaders left.

Advertisement