Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

I never played Fallout New Vegas back in the day, but since Reddit proclaims it the greatest game ever made I decided to give it a shot last year. Honestly, the game was so ugly I couldn't get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can't manually save until you have your bike.

Buy the suppressors for your guns and only go for headshots, you'll kill all the small zombies and normal enemies in one and won't attract other enemies. Then just pick them off one at a time.

I repair and refill my petrol everytime I go back to a camp. It's an awful mechanic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Oh that's it!

I could never understand why Nintendo games were bright and cheerful and Xbox/ps games looked like this - grim

Another reason why I prefer something like BOTW to Skyrim for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I saved from the pause menu after the cutscene where you discuss with the camp leader. Didn't realise I was technically still in the mission. I was supposed to just go back to the mechanic and he'd give me a bike, mission over job done. Instead when I loaded the game it put me back to the radio tower where you drop off Boozer, meaning I had to take down the nearby guys with gun, then go through some freakers to where my bike should have been again etc. It might have still saved the things I'd collected/scavenged, but I'm not sure. Once I did get the bike though, the quicksave option is now there. Have made sure to complete whatever I was on before turning off just to be on the safe side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Same happend to me. The game doesn't warn you that your progress will be lost.

• Advertisement

Overly cartoon like art styles are usually off putting for me. Kind of hard to get immersed when your enemies look like Teletubbies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Colours and Sega blue skies forever. A realistic look wouldn't put me off as long as the art direction is good but there's nothing worse than playing a 'mature' game that is utterly childish. I also think letting cartoon visuals put you off games is really just letting yourself miss out on some of the best games and really narrowing your range of games you can experience. I always found Nintendo do their stylished games really well. Most competitors such as Rare just go way over board on the cute and it comes off as try hard. It's like the difference between (old) pixar and dreamworks.

I think the guardians and lynals are suitably ominous and threatening in BOTW. Sound and atmosphere also helps.

Then again, Inky, pinky, ... in pacman were ominous to me 😀😀

I think AC Odyssey is a good compromise art style wise. But as retro says, that's an icon vomit game. 😀

But I absolutely love the art style in BOTW. Because it's not trying to be real it's way more believable to me. Eg no uncanny valley.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC, there's a mod out there that removes the píss filter; makes the desert look more vibrant and attractive. Though I may be mixing it up with Fallout 3 - which also had a similar mod to strip away the green filtering. Worth getting the mod and returning 'cos Vegas has a cracking story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More games should look like Cruelty Squad IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I dub this aesthetic 90's clip art by way of a shareware game on a PC gamer demo disc that never reached full release.

CABYWSGPCGDDTNRFR for short.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So we can all agree then, that it would be **** if all games looked the same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If you're playing New Vegas without a bunch of mods, then you're doing it wrong. Fallout 3 too, for that matter.

All games look the same is the Unreal Engine 3 aesthetic.

I personally feel a game has failed aesthetically if it's not actively abrasive or migraine-inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'll take the piss filter over the Fortnite 'wacky animation' look that's currently turning me off numerous games. At least the piss filter gave us Demon's Souls.

Poor Team Fortress.

I call that one the lazy mobile game aesthetic. It's by far the most disgusting one that is bafflingly popular. It's basically this corporately mandated look that's been chosen because popular mobile games us it without realising the reason they use it is because it's easy to make cheaply and requires zero artistic talent.

It's the game aesthetic equivalent of the Dreamworks eyebrow raise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TF2 came out in 2007, which to my mind would make it a trendsetter and certainly had a unique style of its own when it came out originally. I get the "realism" angle was preferred by those clutching their copies of TFC, but there was little else like it when TF2 initially hit the scene. Might look like AN Other "wacky animation" game, but it wasn't at the time.

• Advertisement

Psychonauts 2 set a new high watermark for colourful games IMO. Some absolutely astonishing once-off level aesthetics, but most impressively is how the character design and worlds still come across as visually coherent despite the many flights of fancy. The whole art design is pitched at just the right balance between cute and grotesque. Also a good example of how better technology can improve these types of games - the indulgent details of the textures and costumes, for example, just adds that extra layer of depth to the visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Thats a great game, I need to get back to finishing it.

TF2 though is more along the lines of Pixar. It's quite stylised. Fortnite is just generic mobile phone looking ballocks.

There's a big difference between fortnite and the likes of TF2 and Overwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's incredible but there is a serious amount of jank and bullshit you have to accept to enjoy it. Can be a barrier for some people to get over.

And it really is a fugly looking game.

It's hideous, even with the mods but it has to be emphasized that it was built and shipped in 8 months. "A hasty production" doesn't come close to describing development and however janky it remains it was twice as broken on release.

Fenyx Rising tries to ape BOTW but it looks mobile phoney, at least from what I've seen. And that's enough to turn me off the game.

Also, Mario and Rabbids, which I've played does not come near the polish of Super Mario Odyssey for example, even though it's the Mario universe and a less taxing game on the same platform. It's also got that cheap mobile phoney game look in places. Especially in that dumb over world section. But, still it's a very good game and I guess the Devs had ubisoft and Nintendo watching their every move.

Likewise, New Super Lucky's Tale, in 4K, looks and plays pants compared to even Mario Galaxy on Wii.

It's amazing how amazing those Nintendo games look. I think it's because they have the legacy and Japanese video game culture of creating great art with limited resources since the 80s.

I'm wondering what that new Mario movie will look like. More run of the mill stuff or something special with Miyamoto involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What did you find wrong with New Super Lucky's tale? I played the first and the "New" that was only release a short time after the original and found them to be great games and I didn't have any issues.

• Advertisement

What I played was ok, but seemed bland compared to e.g. Mario Odyssey/Galaxy/World. The game is "free" on Xbox Game Pass, and done by a team and budget a lot less than what Nintendo has for its Mario AAA games, so I'm definitely comparing apples with oranges. Also I don't have much time to play games, so didn't run this game through fully.

Given the above ... this is where it falls down for me: flat, unrealistic animations, maybe less frames in the animations, dumb/annoying sound effects, colours that don't pop, floaty character movement, no weight to the actions, music definitely not at the same level, ugly character design, ... no surprises or mystery or magic.

I'll give it another go at some stage. It does 120 FPS I believe, so it'd be interesting to see how that plays.

Advertisement