Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are gym instructors saying?

Options
  • 18-02-2020 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I've seen the gym instructors talking about me a few times at the gym. Looking over, talking amongst themselves. What would they be saying though?
    Once I did make out what they were saying, when 2 of them were talking, and one of them said "She's doing too much".
    But the other times I don't know. Would they all be saying the same? Would they be saying I don't have good form?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What are you doing at the time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Usually **** banter about how they'd **** some girl. Honestly no idea why people bother with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They're saying "I wonder if she's wondering what we're saying".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

ted1 wrote: »
    What are you doing at the time ?

The time the female instructor said to the male instructor that I was doing "too much", I was doing lower body strength training.
    Today, it wasn't even in the gym studio or weights room, I was at the pool with my kids and two female instructors were talking about me, made it pretty obvious too. One of them knows me from coming to the gym, I take some of her classes, the other one was a part time instructor who wouldn't know me, I'm rarely in her classes.
    Other times about the gym, I just generally see them, both male and female instructors, looking and talking and it's pretty obvious.
    It's making me feel pretty paranoid at this point.

The only way you'll get any form of answer is to ask them.

No one here is going to know what some strangers are saying to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

The only way you'll get any form of answer is to ask them.

No one here is going to know what some strangers are saying to each other.

I guess I'm just hoping they're not slagging me off for whatever reason.
    I was hoping maybe a gym instructor boardsie might have some insight into what they might be talking about :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Maybe they're talking about someone else, but they're looking at you so that the real target of their conversation won't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Most of them are scum that make fun of lads who don't have six packs or big muscles. It's the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

That's why gyms are very intimidating. All the steroid heads just look down on everybody else

I guess I'm just hoping they're not slagging me off for whatever reason.
    I was hoping maybe a gym instructor boardsie might have some insight into what they might be talking about :)

They're most likely not talking about you. And even if they were, I wouldn't worry about it.

Never worry if someone in the gym is talking about you or wonder if they are because there's zero need to care!

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Most of them are scum that make fun of lads who don't have six packs or big muscles. It's the truth

They're not but you hold onto that complex of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Work colleagues talking to each other, what sort of wizardry is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

How would people who don't know you, be privy to what people who they don't know are supposedly saying about you in hushed tones? Bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

'yerwan seems pure Paro, let's look at her while talking to freak her out".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

wow - don't tell us coaches what you really think

Putting "truth" at the end is a lazy out from a statement that holds
    about as much water as a leaky bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about,
    and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

That would be great if they were discussing your exercise with each other. In my experience they ignore people doing dangerous things like explosive compound lifts with obviously bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Joking apart, it might be time to consider your attitudes and mental health as well as your physical health.

You've no idea if they're talking about you. They may indeed be wondering why you're looking at them and why you're trying to listen to them.

Get yourself to the headspace where your attitude to yourself is guided by you and your owns thoughts about yourself, rather than the imagined comments of strangers.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It's unlikely that they talk about you frequently in front of you.
    It is likely that they might look your way if they notice you looking at them. They might wonder if you're trying to get their attention.
    Do you think you do too much in the gym? How much sleep do you get typically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

That's why gyms are very intimidating. All the steroid heads just look down on everybody else

Chill out. You can't call everyone with muscles 'roid heads. Sorry you find gyms intimidating, but that's on you and your own insecurities.

I'm by no means in great shape these days, but I love going. "THERE'S A GOOD ENERGY IN THE GYM!". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I’d run with the logic, “no one cares” People in gym gear are like workmen in hi viz vests , utterly forgettable. I doubt I would be able to help the police identify someone in a lineout 30min after.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Joking apart, it might be time to consider your attitudes and mental health as well as your physical health.

You've no idea if they're talking about you. They may indeed be wondering why you're looking at them and why you're trying to listen to them.

Get yourself to the headspace where your attitude to yourself is guided by you and your owns thoughts about yourself, rather than the imagined comments of strangers.

Good luck!

This 100%
    I used to be like you op. Paranoid about what people where saying about me or thinking about me. Counselling helps.
    But there fact is, especially in a gym, most people are there for the same thing. Get in, get it done and get out.
    As for instructors I doubt they are saying much and even if they are saying your doing to much, what about it.

Advertisement