Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

So, my Canon 50mm 1.4 started jamming. The AF on it is not working. And, when I manually turned the focus ring, it felt like it wasn't catching the mechanism correctly in order it for it to function/turn. I found out that the lens barrel inside warps causing the lens to jam. So, I disassembled it and tried to straighten the barrel again. Put it back together. At least now I can manually focus. It's an improvement but not completely fixed. It's just too stiff for the motor to move it. With my hand, slowly, it works. I'm guessing the metal lens barrel is just too warped.

But today I was happy to find replacement barrels for around £10 on eBay. Going to buy one and replace the current lens barrel. Man, 2 years ago, I would never dream of trying to fix a lens. But with YouTube tutorials, I feel more confident. I've taken to just doing rather than being to worried about it.

Granted, this item was used before I bought it and I wouldn't get much for it used. What did I have to lose?

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, here's a post to the guide.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32DuKs3xZnk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hopefully some people in here will find this interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

So, my Canon 50mm 1.4 started jamming.....

An interesting watch. I've tinkered with things but, normally had less than a 50% success rate. I may need it soon enough ;)

On the matter of dumber things, I ended up with a gift voucher over Christmas. It put a lot of things not otherwise affordable in range of affordability - especially with a quick January sale on the go. It was only good for new equipment, bought off the shelf. Most of which is non-compatible, or just not worth getting.

I own one camera that'll work with a new lens still in production.

There's a brand new 24-70 F4 L on order from Canon to go with my ancient EOS650. Just waiting for the message from the shop to say it's arrived.

Probably small change for most folk here, but I'm especially amused by the idea of seeing how well it'll work - and I genuinely can't spend it on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Doesn't matter if people think it's small change, it's a great lens.

Effects wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if people think it's small change, it's a great lens.

It would be if it ever arrived. ;P

Last I heard the retailer's out of stock in Ireland, the distributor is out of stock and the distributor's been in contact with Canon of Europe. That was last Wednesday

At this stage it's probably gone all the way back to Japan to figure out where they can get one.

TBH, it's probably far from a priority for them. Not when there's stuff selling off the shelves for 3k and I'm unlikely to buy anything else new.

I'll ping an email next wednesday maybe.

Would've been nice to have it this weekend but so it goes.

In the meantime I might try and find somewhere to service the old P and F-1.

• Advertisement

It arrived Monday.

I sort of wanted to edit my previous post to include a shoutout to the folks at Blanch Camera Centre who ordered it for me - despite it being a bit weird to order something the way I did - and were sort of on the receiving end of some supply-chain pain through no fault of their own but were always quiuck to answer an email looking for an update, and offered my a polarizing filter due to the delay.

I've more to say on pressure and stuff - but that's not for now.

Unfortunately, I'd left my EOS650 on the other side of the country - but I borrowed a 100D to test it and I am pleased with what it can do. It's also a bit bigger and heavier than I expected and feels really good in the hand. Everything's smooth and clean and it feels solid in the way my old all-metal lenses.

And it came with a pouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

BBC4 9 p.m. Tonight Monday
    A new reality
    James Fox explores how technological advances in the early 20th century created new ways of seeing the world, making links between artists, film-makers, photographers and scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The Irish photographer who won a Pulitzer, then quit ‘the best job in the world’

An interesting read.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/visual-art/the-irish-photographer-who-won-a-pulitzer-then-quit-the-best-job-in-the-world-1.4192729?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

The Irish photographer who won a Pulitzer, then quit ‘the best job in the world’

An interesting read.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/visual-art/the-irish-photographer-who-won-a-pulitzer-then-quit-the-best-job-in-the-world-1.4192729?mode=amp

Great article, thanks for sharing..

• Advertisement

Hello there!

I'm not a photography forum frequenter but I was thinking about this whole virus apocalypse (slight exaggeration) and I thought maybe it could be fun or at least a good distraction from the gloom to have a thread where people could take a photo a day of something in their house or garden and share it.

I think usually you would go out and about on the hunt for a great photo so I thought it might be a nice challenge to find something worth taking a photo of on your home turf. Even if it's just your cat or new buds on a tree in your garden.

I'm not good at photography and I only have an exceptionally cheap and crap camera phone but I'd love to see your photos. I know there's some very talented people here.

Just this idea inspired me to wander around my own garden today and notice things I otherwise wouldn't like a bright yellow buttercup standing taller than all his little friends. It was a nice break from the worry for my mind tbh.

So yeah I don't know that my own pics would be good enough to share but I'd love looking at yours and taking a tiny sneak peek into someone elses life even just to see their cat or their houseplant! Or that jigsaw they just completed. I don't know. Maybe it's a dumb idea.

Anywho, I'll leave it with ye!

As you were!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

... but I'd love looking at yours and taking a tiny sneak peek into someone elses life even just to see their cat or their houseplant!
    :)
    Here's what I did this morning. It's a photo of me editing a photograph that I took of your post.
    I may be going a tad stir crazy.
    49729878423_f2cec8b478_c.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Hello there!

I'm not a photography forum frequenter but I was thinking about this whole virus apocalypse (slight exaggeration) and I thought maybe it could be fun or at least a good distraction from the gloom to have a thread where people could take a photo a day of something in their house or garden and share it.

I think usually you would go out and about on the hunt for a great photo so I thought it might be a nice challenge to find something worth taking a photo of on your home turf. Even if it's just your cat or new buds on a tree in your garden.

I'm not good at photography and I only have an exceptionally cheap and crap camera phone but I'd love to see your photos. I know there's some very talented people here.

Just this idea inspired me to wander around my own garden today and notice things I otherwise wouldn't like a bright yellow buttercup standing taller than all his little friends. It was a nice break from the worry for my mind tbh.

So yeah I don't know that my own pics would be good enough to share but I'd love looking at yours and taking a tiny sneak peek into someone elses life even just to see their cat or their houseplant! Or that jigsaw they just completed. I don't know. Maybe it's a dumb idea.

Anywho, I'll leave it with ye!

As you were!

Good idea but if people are going to do that we'd ask them to see most recent challenge on Photo Challenge Thread ......

Can I suggest some indoor macro photography for the next photo challenge?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've only just noticed this, having had the lens and camera for years.
    i can understand they might need something to say 'the lens was focussed at infinity', but that coming out at over 4 million kilometres seems slightly random.

510062.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

i've only just noticed this, having had the lens and camera for years.
    i can understand they might need something to say 'the lens was focussed at infinity', but that coming out at over 4 million kilometres seems slightly random.

510062.png

Maximum value for a 32bit unsigned integer :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hah, i should have guessed it'd be something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Youtube rn:
    R5 Video
    R5 Video
    R6 Video
    R5 Video
    R5 & R6 Video
    R5 Video

me no understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

me no understand.

Canon announced two new cameras.

jLlLjiV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Is there such a thing as a stick on shoe? Searching everywhere for one, ended up making one, rough cut plastic. Will probably do another thicker at the end as it tends to fall off when vertical.

519604.jpg

Bought this wireless Intervalometer but it hangs off the side of the camera. I know there is options for wireless ones that attach onto the camera but they are more expensive. €20 for this one more than half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Is there such a thing as a stick on shoe?

Do you mean something you can stick onto an accessory so that it can then be mounted on the camera's existing shoe? If so, look for a hot-shoe cover on your favourite online plastic tat retailer (e.g. like this one ) and stick it to your intervalometer with a good quality, double-sided sticky pad.

Do you mean something you can stick onto an accessory so that it can then be mounted on the camera's existing shoe? If so, look for a hot-shoe cover on your favourite online plastic tat retailer (e.g. like this one ) and stick it to your intervalometer with a good quality, double-sided sticky pad.

Yes might do the job, Cheers!

Anyone know if a tripod lens collar is compatible with a canon EF 75-300 kit lens. Is there a way to attach one without covering up the AF-MF switch. The only other place it can attach would make the camera body rotate when zooming.

Yes might do the job, Cheers!
    Just to update this works just fine. I super-glued it on. Could be a little stiffer in the shoe but it stays put even at 90°.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Very powerful photojournalism as per usual in the Big Picture of the Boston Globe - A funeral home copes with the surge during the coronavirus pandemic

(if you've been affected by Covid19 or are sensitive viewing people who have passed, then descretion is advised - nothing gratuitous, just not for everyones liking. Powerful images none the less)

When you take a copyright thief all the way (who is a company/manufacturer)

the lawyers win

youtube link doesn't work - you just want the video ID between the tags, rather than the URL.

Is it time to revisit the 800px on longest side thing on the random photo thread?

Some cracking shots in there which aren't really being allowed showcase their visual merit. Loads of examples recently but for example that one of Little Skellig is a cracking image dwarfed by the restriction.

I recall when 800px was the thing (and the lively debate around it). But i'm thinking the days of 800x600 displays being the norm may have shifted.

Of course it would be the photographers perogative to display it whatever way they want but maybe as a forum, it would be worth revisiting?

• Advertisement

agreed, even my phone has a horizontal resolution of 1080 pixels. no one is browsing at a resolution which justifies the restriction anymore.

Advertisement