Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2020 Thread

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He doesn’t have any of those lads now. Hence his desire to leave. The various partnerships nearly got there, as I noted in my post. I didn’t claim he was on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I am going to guess Harden ends up with the 76rs just have that gut feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That isn't exactly that far out there since it's where Morey has ended. Based on the talk that's out there Fertitta isn't willing to deal with them. That of course, could all change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He doesn’t have any of those lads now. Hence his desire to leave. The various partnerships nearly got there, as I noted in my post. I didn’t claim he was on his own.

And Harden should shoulder a lot of the blame for that.

qwabercd wrote: »
    And Harden should shoulder a lot of the blame for that.

People may want to live in a world where stars shoulder blame and serve out years of non competitive penance on rosters they were complicit in running down. It doesn’t work like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

People may want to live in a world where stars shoulder blame and serve out years of non competitive penance on rosters they were complicit in running down. It doesn’t work like that.

I think it’s a nuanced situation
    On one hand Harden pretty much dictated a lot of the comings and goings in Houston and it never really worked out, I don’t think you can necessarily blame him for it because it’s pretty hard to win a championship, especially against the Warriors at the time.
    Harden is receiving a huge salary and if he gets injured they are obliged to pay him that money so it should also work the other way, just because you want out the franchise isn’t obliged to let you go, you are obliged to ride it out and fulfill your part of the deal

Iam all for player power and going where you want, has it gone too far where smaller franchise teams will be left out in the cold, probably but then that’s another discussion.

John Wall got through 19 mins of preseason action. Good for him to get back onto the court.

John Wall got through 19 mins of preseason action. Good for him to get back onto the court.

Saw a few highlights, looked pretty good for a guy out for so long

Giannis signing the super max. 5 / 228

Wrong move imo.

Wrong move imo.

Good for Milwaukee and good for the NBA, it’s always going to be better to have superstars spread out across the NBA rather than 5 or 6 destination cities
    And it doesn’t necessarily mean he will stay there for 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Wrong move imo.

Sure he can do a Harden and just demand a trade in a year if he wants with your full support! :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Corvo

With Giannis signing the super-max it will be interesting to see if the teams that have the cap space / assets that had targeted him now instead turn their interest to Harden - i.e. Miami and Toronto

Good for Milwaukee and good for the NBA, it’s always going to be better to have superstars spread out across the NBA rather than 5 or 6 destination cities
    And it doesn’t necessarily mean he will stay there for 5 years.

Agreed on all of that - good for the NBA and the city of Milwaukee.

But it's bad for his career imo. Going to be very difficult to build a championship roster around that contract in that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Looks like Harden to the Sixers could have legs with Simmons going the other way. Obviously more pieces would be involved too. Don't know what to make of it, the Rockets will look really weird with Wall and Simmons.

76ers would automatically become serious contenders in the East if that trade materialises. Harden plus Embiid would be something, my jaysus.

Gordon Hayward with yet another injury - this time a fractured finger. That contract is looking even worse now if that was possible.

Coneygree wrote: »
    Looks like Harden to the Sixers could have legs with Simmons going the other way. Obviously more pieces would be involved too. Don't know what to make of it, the Rockets will look really weird with Wall and Simmons.

It is by far the most logical trade from Houston's perspective. They won't get anywhere near as big a talent as Simmons from any other team and given the age differential it's a no-brainer IMO. Given Simmons position he's also the ideal guy to start a rebuild around in the modern NBA. I wouldn't bank on there being much extra involved though for a variety of reasons that I don't have time to go into now.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

It is by far the most logical trade from Houston's perspective. They won't get anywhere near as big a talent as Simmons from any other team and given the age differential it's a no-brainer IMO. Given Simmons position he's also the ideal guy to start a rebuild around in the modern NBA. I wouldn't bank on there being much extra involved though for a variety of reasons that I don't have time to go into now.

It does make sense from a business POV and Houston won't get anything better but I meant rather their team will look very weird with Simmons and Wall being their big two. I don't see how that will be effective. However the 76ers have to be favourites for the East now.

I'd imagine they might include someone like Thybulle as well.

I think if you accept that you’re not winning either way, acquiring Simmons and figuring out what to do with both him and Wall over the next while is the right long term move. It won’t work on the court particularly well, but Simmons is a good piece and maybe Wall gets back into shape and becomes something you work with or trade.

If you’re not winning, acquiring assets is the next best thing.

I think if you accept that you’re not winning either way, acquiring Simmons and figuring out what to do with both him and Wall over the next while is the right long term move. It won’t work on the court particularly well, but Simmons is a good piece and maybe Wall gets back into shape and becomes something you work with or trade.

If you’re not winning, acquiring assets is the next best thing.

Yea, I thinking getting Simmons would be a steal, not that he is such an amazing player, plenty of potential but should be a great asset to have and potentially build around.
    So many times when a superstar leaves the team is left with scraps, at least Houston would get a pretty solid asset in exchange for someone that doesn’t want to be there.

• Advertisement

Watched the nets and warriors game this evening, Nets genuinely looked really good. KD hasn’t missed a step, they will be a hard team to beat in the East.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

New thread opened now for the new regular season

Advertisement