Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your 3 favorite Desktop Environments?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rayzercork wrote: »
    oldschool linux users tend to like mate from the gnome 2 days, while recent distro hoppers tend to adopt the newer desktops unless they want a lightweight setup.

Some of us are just stuck in our ways :D

I started with KDE 3.2 I think and still use KDE to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

rayzercork wrote: »
    oldschool linux users tend to like mate from the gnome 2 days, while recent distro hoppers tend to adopt the newer desktops unless they want a lightweight setup.

I didn't like it when Ubuntu moved from gnome. At that time I started investigating many other distros and moved away from gnome 2 type desktop GUIs but really took to gnome 3 right away. It just puts the control right in the gestures and keyboard shortcuts which work well with a laptop touchpad which is what I'm mostly using.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭Worztron

Some of us are just stuck in our ways :D

I started with KDE 3.2 I think and still use KDE to this day.

Old habits certainly die hard. ;-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Old habits certainly die hard. ;-)

I have just tested as a live session, the test release of the trimmed down PCLinuxOS ISO.
    It has both KDE and IceWM on it so is useful for weaker hardware too, IceWM being very lightweight.
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/pclinuxos64-kde5-darkstar-test-2019.07.iso
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/64bit/pclinuxos64-kde5-darkstar-test-2019.07.md5sum

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

i hated unity right from the start, just felt sluggish all the time & gnome 3 i liked until they started dumbing it down.
    ended up using lxde after that then moved onto xfce when the conversion to lxqt started.
    mate doesnt appeal to me though, theres something about the theming i cant stand.
    i play around with window managers too occasionally tweaking them and making themes.
    at the moment im running mostly xfce with jwm as a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Cinnamon
    KDE
    MATE

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GNOME 2. Everything else since then has been form over function to a hideous extent; or is actually *too* lightweight

Lots of decent GTK apps started going the same way at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Cinnamon
    XFCE
    MATE

Prefer Cinnamon though, as it gives the appearance of a Windows OS.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Cinnamon
    XFCE
    MATE

Prefer Cinnamon though, as it gives the appearance of a Windows OS.

Lots would regard that as a huge negative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

For anyone running KDE or thinking of checking it out, the new 5.17 release is incredibly lightweight and snappy. Running it on PCLinuxOS on an old Macbook 2008 Core2Duo and it's absolutely delightful. Runs even lighter than XFCE does in terms of RAM usage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

1. Fluxbox (Openbox)
    2. Ice WM
    3. Mint

Puke: Unity

1. Fluxbox (Openbox)
    2. Ice WM
    3. Mint

Puke: Unity

Hi sheepsh4gger. Did you mean MATE or Cinnamon for your 'Mint' entry?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

I gave Xfce desktop a go last year on the Server but it annoyed me because it has a bucket load of dependencies. When i went to install apps that I needed or update them it started giving out about how the dependencies for this or that cannot be updated.. Back to cli, its grand.

You could though RDP to it via Windows machine which was nice.

I gave Xfce desktop a go last year on the Server but it annoyed me because it has a bucket load of dependencies. When i went to install apps that I needed or update them it started giving out about how the dependencies for this or that cannot be updated.. Back to cli, its grand.

You could though RDP to it via Windows machine which was nice.

I find Xfce to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Worztron wrote: »
    I find Xfce to be excellent.

It is, I was really impressed and liked the GUI for the Server for a change. Currently im using Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 LTS no GUI I think its great how solid the Linux boxes are...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Used to be a big fan of window maker.

Having kids has turned me into a gnome user. :pac:

Never had a problem with GNOME 3 myself. Its very functional once you get used to the fact that it's keyboard based rather than mouse based. its performance has really stepped up as well since 3.30 - I'm not one of these "the lighter it runs on RAM the better" folks. RAM is there to be used.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Using LXDE instead of Cinnamon today and I find it to be much quicker and less labour intensive. Any other Desktop Environments that have good performance?

Using LXDE instead of Cinnamon today and I find it to be much quicker and less labour intensive. Any other Desktop Environments that have good performance?

MATE, Xfce, any of the window managers such as Fluxbox, icewm, openbox etc etc

KDE5 is quite responsive these days once it is loaded, and is full featured.

KDE 5.17 runs incredibly light on resources these days.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Was actually using cinnamon and now using LXDE for the moment. So I might take your suggestion on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Never had a problem with GNOME 3 myself. Its very functional once you get used to the fact that it's keyboard based rather than mouse based. its performance has really stepped up as well since 3.30 - I'm not one of these "the lighter it runs on RAM the better" folks. RAM is there to be used.

I love GNOME3.
    I know they say every version is lighter than the last but 3.34 has been a vast improvement, much smoother and quicker.

I've stuck Lubuntu 19.10 (LXQt) on a really underpowered chromebook I wasn't using and it flies.

I started off Debian on all my other stuff but now I'm an Arch man.

And yes, I have managed to install from scratch which is amazing for me :)

I still like Debian but it's relegated to backup OS in case my Arch(es) go tits up.

Gentoo is my next experiment...

Been off Windows a good few months now and do not miss it one bit

You know, I was always a fan of Cinnamon and XFCE. I installed KDE Open Box last night and I'm only having a go now. Must say, I love it already.

You know, I was always a fan of Cinnamon and XFCE. I installed KDE Open Box last night and I'm only having a go now. Must say, I love it already.

Its very nice. And unbelievably customisable. Dead easy to install new themes through the Settings panel as well! Had it running on an old MacBook in PCLinuxOS for a couple of weeks now and it's delightful.

Will have to reinstall it again. Had to clear up some space and check what eating ram.

Advertisement