Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your 3 favorite Desktop Environments?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    KDE 5.17 runs incredibly light on resources these days.

Was actually using cinnamon and now using LXDE for the moment. So I might take your suggestion on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Never had a problem with GNOME 3 myself. Its very functional once you get used to the fact that it's keyboard based rather than mouse based. its performance has really stepped up as well since 3.30 - I'm not one of these "the lighter it runs on RAM the better" folks. RAM is there to be used.

I love GNOME3.
    I know they say every version is lighter than the last but 3.34 has been a vast improvement, much smoother and quicker.

I've stuck Lubuntu 19.10 (LXQt) on a really underpowered chromebook I wasn't using and it flies.

I started off Debian on all my other stuff but now I'm an Arch man.

And yes, I have managed to install from scratch which is amazing for me :)

I still like Debian but it's relegated to backup OS in case my Arch(es) go tits up.

Gentoo is my next experiment...

Been off Windows a good few months now and do not miss it one bit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

KDE 5.17 runs incredibly light on resources these days.

You know, I was always a fan of Cinnamon and XFCE. I installed KDE Open Box last night and I'm only having a go now. Must say, I love it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    You know, I was always a fan of Cinnamon and XFCE. I installed KDE Open Box last night and I'm only having a go now. Must say, I love it already.

Its very nice. And unbelievably customisable. Dead easy to install new themes through the Settings panel as well! Had it running on an old MacBook in PCLinuxOS for a couple of weeks now and it's delightful.

Will have to reinstall it again. Had to clear up some space and check what eating ram.

Advertisement