Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014 - Mod Warning Linked in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'd have no problem signing Cesc but only and its a big if we covered the areas we need strengthening in first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd have no problem signing Cesc but only and its a big if we covered the areas we need strengthening in first.

Would make perfect sense, especially given the ages of Rosicky, Arteta and Caz.

Ramsey, Ozil, Fab and Wilshire would never all be fit at the same time, and you'd always fit three of them with an out and out DMF and Walcott.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

gosplan wrote: »

Ramsey, Ozil, Fab and Wilshire would never all be fit at the same time, and you'd always fit three of them with an out and out DMF and Walcott.

Biggest game of season all fit. We sigh cesc

What's your midfield?

On another note looks like moyes will be sacked

Don't get me wrong I'd take him and would love him but we need a DM and CF and LW much more than we need to strengthen with Cesc right now imo. Arteta's legs are gone, but Cazorla is far from gone he is only 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Seen on twitter someone suggest we offer Barca 15m plus tommy v

I like it

They can't sign new players so that can't happen.

Barca won't be selling any first team players for a year as they can't replace them, not going to happen lads.

AdamD wrote: »

Barca won't be selling any first team players for a year as they can't replace them, not going to happen lads.

In fairness I'd say it as much as a given Barcelona will get that over turned just like Chelsea did.

AdamD wrote: »

That ban def won't be help up wait and see

Biggest game of season all fit. We sigh cesc

What's your midfield?

Goes on form, right now Wilshire on the bench

Bender - Ramsey
    Walcott - Fab - Ozil

• Advertisement

Bender - Ramsey
    Walcott - Fab - Ozil

Striker??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Little fun fact- we beat Birmingham 3-0 away the month before we lost to them at Wembley.

718589.gif

Must get the precious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Top four even gonna be harder next year with Moyes gone

Bender - Ramsey
    Walcott - Fab - Ozil

God no imo, that just shoe horning Fabregas into a team that doesn't need him imo and pushing Ozil out of his best position and leaving us with the same problem we've had this season someone playing on the left who is not naturally a LW and a player who is not to fond of tracking back.

Take the fact Fabregas is an ex Arsenal player away and I think a lot of fans would be calling the idea of moving for him madness. Sign him up but sign him up not to be a guaranteed starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What are peoples gut feeling on whether Wenger will stay or go?
    I thought a few weeks back that he would go but for some reason im fairly convinced he will sign another contract

wonga77 wrote: »
    What are peoples gut feeling on whether Wenger will stay or go?
    I thought a few weeks back that he would go but for some reason im fairly convinced he will sign another contract
    Not a hope.

I think he knows it and the board know it. The heavy defeats against our direct competition made his position untenable imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

If Wenger does go (and I feel he has told the players he is leaving) then I dearly hope he does it with the FA Cup and CL spot AGAIN. He hasn't been without fault but I will always dearly love and respect the man. I just want one day to meet him and shake his hand and thank him for everything he has done for Arsenal FC.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    If Wenger does go (and I feel he has told the players he is leaving) then I dearly hope he does it with the FA Cup and CL spot AGAIN. He hasn't been without fault but I will always dearly love and respect the man. I just want one day to meet him and shake his hand and thank him for everything he has done for Arsenal FC.

Well said Maire

Not a hope.

I think he knows it and the board know it. The heavy defeats against our direct competition made his position untenable imo.

The thing is though Pappa the board is motivated by profit and not results. I think Wenger feels he has brought Arsenal as far as he can with the resources at hand but the board would be happy to keep him until he is 90 if they felt he could still keep them in the top four.

The thing is though Pappa the board is motivated by profit and not results. I think Wenger feels he has brought Arsenal as far as he can with the resources at hand but the board would be happy to keep him until he is 90 if they felt he could still keep them in the top four.

That excuse is old and tired now to be honest I know we all like to think of the board is holding us back etc but I call bull****.

The boards and owners are all successful business men who yes money is king but do you really think these men got to be were they are and as rich as they are by not wanting and pushing for the best?

These are clever people and if you think they dont realise success brings in more money then we have some delusional fans.

There were a lot of rumours last year Gaizidis said what he said to push Wenger to spend money to lay the pressure at his feet and they wanted players brought in badly.

On Wenger if he does go it will be with a heavy heart should he stay for another year I'd be ok with that. I just want us to be pro active in the transfer market for once.

That excuse is old and tired now to be honest I know we all like to think of the board is holding us back etc but I call bull****.

The boards and owners are all successful business men who yes money is king but do you really think these men got to be were they are and as rich as they are by not wanting and pushing for the best?

These are clever people and if you think they dont realise success brings in more money then we have some delusional fans.

There were a lot of rumours last year Gaizidis said what he said to push Wenger to spend money to lay the pressure at his feet and they wanted players brought in badly.

On Wenger if he does go it will be with a heavy heart should he stay for another year I'd be ok with that. I just want us to be pro active in the transfer market for once.

Dunno now i can remember the board pouring scorn at shareholders meetings at the few from the supporters club who were demanding more although that was a few years back tbf and the stadium was still being paid for.
    We'll probably never know the full truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Think he will sign a two year contract at the end of the season.

Dunno now i can remember the board pouring scorn at shareholders meetings at the few from the supporters club who were demanding more although that was a few years back tbf and the stadium was still being paid for.
    We'll probably never know the full truth

Yea I do believe for a few years finances were tight and expenditure was kept at a minimum but I also believe last summer he was told to go for it and they announced it to try put pressure on Wenger to spend it and also let everyone know we were no longer holding back as much.

But as you said I don't think we will ever know the full story unless Wenger writes a book once he retires but also can't see him going down the road of Ferguson did, Wenger carries himself to well to stoop that low I think and leave a stain on his persona.

Yea I do believe for a few years finances were tight and expenditure was kept at a minimum but I also believe last summer he was told to go for it and they announced it to try put pressure on Wenger to spend it and also let everyone know we were no longer holding back as much.

But as you said I don't think we will ever know the full story unless Wenger writes a book once he retires but also can't see him going down the road of Ferguson did, Wenger carries himself to well to stoop that low I think and leave a stain on his persona.

Such a pity he pulled out of the Higuaín deal when Real upped the price, think he would of scored bucket loads with Ozil, Ramsey, Carzola and co feeding him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah but if we signed Higuain we probably wouldn't or couldn't have signed Ozil. In the longer term Ozil strengthens us a lot more.

gandalf wrote: »
    Yeah but if we signed Higuain we probably wouldn't or couldn't have signed Ozil. In the longer term Ozil strengthens us a lot more.

Arsenal have more in the bank than all the other premier league teams combined, £123.3 million in the bank.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/club-announces-latest-financial-results

We could of signed Suarez for 60 mill if the pool accepted and still bought Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We have more in the bank but I believe we have to have a large cash reserve in place as part of the loan agreement. I remember reading a figure of around £70 million being quoted.

We have more in the bank but I believe we have to have a large cash reserve in place as part of the loan agreement. I remember reading a figure of around £70 million being quoted.

You don't pay transfers in lump sums.

If we got Suarez for 60 million and gave him a six year contract, we would pay 10 million a season for him in our books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

With the debt at manageable levels and revenue increased I don't see a need for us to be required to have 70m in reserve. However it may be true. I think our spending is entirely in the hands of wenger. I'm OK with it if he goes out and gets proper quality in the areas we need.
    II'm already looking forward to September 1st. The transfer window will be long and full of conjecture.

£24 million I believe.

"Out of the £123.3m, Arsenal must maintain a cash reserve under the financing agreements, currently around £24m"

http://angryofislington.com/2013/02/26/arsenal-financial-results-how-much-is-the-war-chest-now/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Even if we did sign Higuain, we'd still lack a world class striker, but he's certainly better then our current strikers/forwards.

• Advertisement

Even if we did sign Higuain, we'd still lack a world class striker, but he's certainly better then our current strikers/forwards.

Yes he wont make chances out of nothing but will be clinical in front of goal which would be nice.

We have plenty of creative players to make chances anyway we need more players to finish them like Podolski does and Higuain would of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Yes he wont make chances out of nothing but will be clinical in front of goal which would be nice.

We have plenty of creative players to make chances anyway we need more players to finish them like Podolski does and Higuain would of.

I agree that we don't need one because Bayern don't have a world class striker either, but it would be nice to have a striker who can pull out miracles like Henry and van Persie did.

Balotelli was shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or in 2012, something Higuain has never done, he is also cheaper and younger.

Higuain could have helped us win the title this season, but Balotelli could be a better player in the long run.

Oh, I think Josip Drmić played up front yesterday and got an assist against Leverkusen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really hope he does decide to publish his memoirs, warts and all. That would be some read.

I agree that we don't need one because Bayern don't have a world class striker either, but it would be nice to have a striker who can pull out miracles like Henry and van Persie did.

Balotelli was shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or in 2012, something Higuain has never done, he is also cheaper and younger.

Higuain could have helped us win the title this season, but Balotelli could be a better player in the long run.

Oh, I think Josip Drmić played up front yesterday and got an assist against Leverkusen

I think this kid would be worth gambling the few quid on. His touch is incredible and he has pace to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,365 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope you're all shouting for City tonight.
    We want them to be still involved when they play Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭batistuta9

£24 million I believe.

"Out of the £123.3m, Arsenal must maintain a cash reserve under the financing agreements, currently around £24m"

http://angryofislington.com/2013/02/26/arsenal-financial-results-how-much-is-the-war-chest-now/

that articles a year old though it's something like that.
    the accounts published in February showed they had 120mil in the bank & a reserve of 22m i think it was, that 120 will be 175/180 come summer

this article by swiss ramble last summer last summer states with 154m in the bank 70m was a reasonable estimate of what they could spend, maybe even up to 100 if funds from property & future commercial deals was made available

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the accounts published in February showed they had 120mil in the bank & a reserve of 22m i think it was, that 120 will be 175/180 come summer

this article by swiss ramble last summer last summer states with 154m in the bank 70m was a reasonable estimate of what they could spend, maybe even up to 100 if funds from property & future commercial deals was made available

Such a shame if we pushed the boat out last summer the league was there for the taking.

I remember Rodgers saying Suarez was just as good as Cavani and he went for £55 million, I think hinting Suarez had a price.

Such a missed opportunity when we could of bought two Suarez's without breaking a sweat in our finances.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

batistuta9 wrote: »

There is another reason for the club to hold on to all of that money, and it is to do with Stan Kroenke's empire. All very conspiracy theory now, so massive pinch of salt required.

Matt Scott has a write up on Arsenals cash piles at the start of this season which is quite interesting, as it posits that Arsenals debt is being reduced rapidly while remaining cash rich so as to allow Kroenke to offset debts in his other group companies.

Further reading on Giles Grimandi's Right Boot explains it quite nicely, so I'll quote the part here:
    There has been an excellent article published this week by Matt Scott, formerly of The Guardian, suggesting that the American is happy for Arsenal to maintain cash reserve assets high in order to bring down the overall gearing of his KSE empire. Gearing is a simple ratio of calculating assets divided by debt (leveraged bonds, for example). If you have a low gearing, such as Arsenal which has a debt to equity ratio of 0.79, it makes it cheaper to raise debt with investment banks. This, in simple terms, is just like how it is cheaper to borrow for a mortgage if you have a higher deposit, for example, as it is less risky for investors to buy your debt so they ask for less compensation.

It goes on to suggest that perhaps Kroenke was preparing (amongst other things) an extremely large capital project, but there was no news about anything of that scale at that time.

Since the time of writing those articles, something has cropped up that might make sense. He has purchased 60 acres of land in LA, near Hollywood, and may build a stadium there so as to move the St Louis Rams back to where the played decades ago, and as we well know, building a stadium is an expensive business. He is meant to be starting an MLS team in LA called the "LA Gunners", but with two other MLS teams there already, I just can't see that happening.

This is all most likely just rambling thoughts brought on by a long weekend back in Ireland, I'm never right after a trip home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Thought this is pretty great.

http://instagram.com/p/nEMyF4OJxN/#

Pod really loves Koln :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Thought this is pretty great.

http://instagram.com/p/nEMyF4OJxN/#

Pod really loves Koln :)

His tat is pretty cool too!

poldi_col_tat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

All the chat about Wenger should go, i was thinking of manager of the season. If we get 4th and FA cup i think he would be fourth choice for it despite being hockeyed a few times.

that's not saying a change would not be good but just putting his year in perspective.

1 tony pulis
    2 Brendan rogers
    3 Roberto martinez
    4 arsene wenger
    5 ????

19 tin sherwood
    20 David moyes

TUBBY wrote: »
    All the chat about Wenger should go, i was thinking of manager of the season. If we get 4th and FA cup i think he would be fourth choice for it despite being hockeyed a few times.

that's not saying a change would not be good but just putting his year in perspective.

1 tony pulis
    2 Brendan rogers
    3 Roberto martinez
    4 arsene wenger
    5 ????

19 tin sherwood
    20 David moyes

Tony Pulis at no1? He's done a good job and all but the hyperbole about him lately is crazy. No way should or would he be ahead of Rogers or Martinez.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's a tough call. I do think that Mourinho and Pellegrini have lost a lot of their shine over the year, mainly by not doing as well as they should have considering their respective resources.

Arsene has lost on by not strengthening the squad when it was clear that it needed something more than a player with a broken back.

Tony Pulis and Brendan Rogers have done amazingly well in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Tony Pulis at no1? He's done a good job and all but the hyperbole about him lately is crazy. No way should or would he be ahead of Rogers or Martinez.

Surely you remember what an absolute shambles Palace were before he arrived?

I'd have him second to Rogers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Rodgers has to win the manager of the year. Anyone else would be a joke. I'd say fourth would be about right for Wenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

My issue with Wenger staying on is that we have taken some serious beatings against the big teams this year, some of it down to bad set up and player selection. This has to change, our record against the big teams is pretty awful this year. We need to have a plan when playing the likes of City/Chelsea/Liverpool.

If we can get this and sign the players that are required to take us to the next level then I would back the manager. But we can't be back here next year with more hard luck stories about another year of so near and yet so far.

Given the developments in Manchester, I'd like to see Wenger stay.

As I see it there are two current problems at Arsenal:

1: squad depth vrs injuries

2: performances in the big games

Either of those sorted might have seen us win the league this year.

Just to note, we're unbeaten at home vrs these teams and won 2 out of 3 vrs pool. As I see it, it's about the capitulation in the Chelsea, Pool and Everton away games.

We've made consistant progress forward year on year for 2 seasons now. It's going to get more difficult now as there's not as much left to improve.

I'm guessing that those wanting Wenger gone just feel he can't improve the team again. I'd like to think he can and would be happy to give him another year.

I don't think the tactics need as much focus as people make out. Get a good balanced team on the pitch for every match and we'll challenge all the way for the league.

For the Chelsea game, our team was

Arteta-Rosicky
    Ox-Caz-Pod

For Everton, it was

Arteta-Flamini
    Rosicky-Caz-Pod

Not really good enough IMO. Get our best players on the pitch for the big games and you'll see better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭wawaman

I'm guessing that those wanting Wenger gone just feel he can't improve the team again. I'd like to think he can and would be happy to give him another year.

The thing is it wont be for one year. Either he will go in the summer or he his in the job for another 3 years. Personally i think its time for a change but now and again he will say or do something that reminds me of the manager he used to be but the heavy defeats this season have been the final straw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

dmxoat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭ronjo

Watching the game on Sunday I was torn between happiness at seeing Ramsey back playing a stormer and disappointment for what could have been if it wasnt for those bloody crucuial injuries to him, Theo and then Ozil.
    After the first 20 mins of niggle I thought we were excellent and too see Ramsey bursting to get forward miles ahead of anyone else in the last minute just shows that we really have a fantastic player on our books.

Ozil looked slick and two nice cool finishes by Pod who once again showed he is the most natural finisher at the club.

Really nice to see us play with a bit of style again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement