Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 8 + 9), April 18-21, 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

doncarlos wrote: »
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/855877/

Not even a free for this challenge. Refs are getting worse in this league
    I actually thought Robinson got the ball and it was the follow through which done the damage. Think the ref got it right but would like to see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

we really arent gonna get a point :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

O'Donnell was standing and Finn came bulling through. He won the ball but straight through the man and as you can see from picture looks like he badly injured O'Donnell.

Obviously you know O Donnell is a filthy scummie player and has nailed many a player in his time.

There is karma at work here if he was nailed, again picture doesnt do it justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Obviously you know O Donnell is a filthy scummie player and has nailed many a player in his time.

There is karma at work here if he was nailed, again picture doesnt do it justice.

Thats a disgraceful post. Lad could be out for the season and you're saying he deserves it?

I dont believe there was any malice from the Rovers player but it was at least a booking if not more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I think Rovers took a little while to get going, quite a bit of passing the ball around in their own half, but once the red card was issued it was nearly all one way traffic, could have been double in the second half alone.

11? Are you sure there was even that many?

Being good Friday, and the good weather I think also contributed to the attendence, considering it was probably also competing against the funfair in Carraroe, altough got quite cold at the Old Shed end towards the end of the match.

Credit to the Guards as well on traffic duty, never got home after a match as quick before either.
    yea thats true enough, with or without the card, there was only 1 way the match would end

yea i even counted twice to be sure! i guessed the bus driver & a localish players family!

in fairness a there was a good few heading out before the end that probably helped too. probably 1000min out before the final whistle

Thats a disgraceful post. Lad could be out for the season and you're saying he deserves it?

I dont believe there was any malice from the Rovers player but it was at least a booking if not more

He is a filthy player always has been. This isnt news to anyone the "hes a **** but hes our ****" thing springs to mind. He has ended the season of a few players previously hence the karma thing.

In related news Kenna has been sent off twice for Rovers, he was never booked playing for us a season or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

O'Donnell has done it before to other players, he's not one for big 50/50s but he'll go in late on players and follow through.

That pic is in Robinsons favour anyway. Robinson got the ball and O'Donnell didnt stop his swing, hence it got caught up in his legs and injured the player. Not much Robinson could have done differently to be honest.

It's "unfortunate" but ref got it spot on. Didnt see the elbow/punch/push or whatever it was. Also not sure about the handball in the second half either. Few tough decisions for the ref

Kenna off twice and an own goal...Agent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Pighead wrote: »
    I actually thought Robinson got the ball and it was the follow through which done the damage. Think the ref got it right but would like to see it again.

That's exactly how it looked to me. Despite that the red card incident happened a few meters in front of me, I missed it completely.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Please remember the charter before posting, gentlemen. A couple of posts have been removed.

• Advertisement

Huge equaliser in Dundalk. Three points off top spot, having been away to Bohs, Cork, Pats and Dundalk with multiple red cards is a lot better than six points behind top spot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Another shocking performance from Derry apparently.

But I am sure Roddy will claim it was a point gained.

From all accounts Bray deserved to win. It was odd, I felt they could've got more from the game, its not often can say that against Derry. Missing penalties won't help either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Always love the should have buried them analysis. You didn't, against 10 men, that's the point.

Happy with the point given the circumstances.Might not be firing on all cylinders but the right attitude is back. Delighted for young heaney as well.

Hope SOD injury isn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Cracking pic by Peter Doherty, seriously this goal was ****ing special.

10257200_10154163861310131_5128585470994341753_o.jpg

All I remember is the ground went completely silent when he hit it,then went mental when it went in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cracking pic by Peter Doherty, seriously this goal was ****ing special.

10257200_10154163861310131_5128585470994341753_o.jpg

Love how Clarke just stands still and watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

2084 at the pats match my ****ing hole. Dont why clubs do it but main stand holds 1920 seats so about 250 in the rest of the ground.......
    Certainly looks like there was a thousand more at it! Probably 2084 in the main and new stand. 500 in the shed and it's hard to tell by the angle of the picture but perhaps 300 in the camac. Tax purposes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

CSF wrote: »
    Tax purposes probably.
    BOHtox wrote: »
    Certainly looks like there was a thousand more at it! Probably 2084 in the main and new stand. 500 in the shed and it's hard to tell by the angle of the picture but perhaps 300 in the camac. Tax purposes?

Gate receipts at sports matches don't get taxed in Ireland. They do in the UK, so Derry aren't as lucky as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Huge combined attendances this weekend by the sounds of it. I know it was Good Friday but hopefully this can be repeated.

I should hope to see 4000+ at the Cross again next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gonna be a long season for Bohs and with Sligo, Cork and Derry to come I really do fear for us again this season. Heary's tactics are utter poison. We've abandoned our free flowing attacking football from the first two games in favour of punts to absolutely nobody.

Hard to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Stephen ODonnell's injury :(
    Scans on Saturday morning have revealed that the club captain has torn his anterior cruciate ligament and the posterior cruciate ligament.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/odonnell-scans-reveal-cruciate-damage/

I'm sure every fair minded LOI fan will want to wish the Dundalk captain a speedy recovery from what is a potential career ending horror injury.
    Best of luck skip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

[QUOTE=doncarlos;89998780Not even a free for this challenge. Refs are getting worse in this league[/QUOTE]

Anyone got any idea why there was a Welsh referee (and I presume assistants too as I didn't recognise them either) at the Carlisle Grounds yesterday?

• Advertisement

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea why there was a Welsh referee (and I presume assistants too as I didn't recognise them either) at the Carlisle Grounds yesterday?

A Mr Iwan Griffiths officiated,assts where A.Williams & A.Jones and i believe Dave Mckeon of the LOI was 4th official.
    Some sort of an UEFA ref exchange programme i believe.God help the Welsh sides that get our lot! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

God help the Welsh sides that get our lot! :D

Be that as it may I wasn't terribly impressed by Mr. Griffith's display, I thought he missed an awful lot so perhaps it'll be much of a muchness really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Stephen ODonnell's injury :(

http://www.dundalkfc.com/odonnell-scans-reveal-cruciate-damage/

I'm sure every fair minded LOI fan will want to wish the Dundalk captain a speedy recovery from what is a potential career ending horror injury.
    Best of luck skip.

From the pic it looks horrible, I do hope a speedy recovery is in place. I do hate seeing knee injuries, even if it is other people.
    Be that as it may I wasn't terribly impressed by Mr. Griffith's display, I thought he missed an awful lot so perhaps it'll be much of a muchness really.

A Bray fan from the name? I can't imagine them being any worse than other officials in the league tbh, no reason to single them out.

lol actually forgot about Craig Walsh getting booked for diving, we got a free out it was that bad.

Pretty sure you dont get a free out when a player dives, he should be booked when the ball next goes out of play.

Fair enough.
    We've (Dundalk) had two sets of IFA officials in a couple of Setanta cup matches so far and i have to say they have been the best officials i've seen in a long long time.In fact in last Tuesdays SC match v Shamrock Rovers ref Ray Crangle only produced 2 yellow cards.That has to be a record for a match involving Dundalk & Shams.

Fair enough.
    We've (Dundalk) had two sets of IFA officials in a couple of Setanta cup matches so far and i have to say they have been the best officials i've seen in a long long time.In fact in last Tuesdays SC match v Shamrock Rovers ref Ray Crangle only produced 2 yellow cards.That has to be a record for a match involving Dundalk & Shams.

tbh the north refs just let everything go which works both ways. Our refs try to make calls that are utterly retarded.

We have had 5 absolute nailed on penos denied ( O Donnells handball for one) and one ridiculous decision (luke Byrne) i would rather the north approach as in let it go for both sides than the LOI version of calling it wrong.

fagans goal and forresters miss hidden there.

Seriously what a ****ing miss, lucky he scored a cracker to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Another lovely day for a round of LoI fixtures :) hopefully crowds for the home clubs will see an increase from the norm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Off to see Bohs-Sligo myself. Bohs were impressive the last time I saw them against Drogheda, but supposedly they've gotten a lot worse since then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

tbh the north refs just let everything go which works both ways. Our refs try to make calls that are utterly retarded.

We have had 5 absolute nailed on penos denied ( O Donnells handball for one)

Also got away with a peno in the same game for a hand ball although O'Donnell's should have been red too. Could have easily had a couple of players sent off and Towell should have walked. Thought the ref was poor for both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

SantryRed wrote: »
    Off to see Bohs-Sligo myself. Bohs were impressive the last time I saw them against Drogheda, but supposedly they've gotten a lot worse since then!

Kind of, Heary has changed the tactics. We played quick, free flowing football against UCD in the league and league cup and at home vs Drogheda. Since then we've turned to having either Dinny or Jayo up top on their own and lumping long balls up to them although the likes of Craig Walsh and Steven Beattie have tried to keep the ball on the deck

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sligo will beat us comfortably, hopefully not embarrassingly

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'd say the Derry Limerick game was a thriller...

That was an awful, awful game. As bad as we were Sligo weren't much better, thought we might have gotten something out of it but our defence let us down as usual.

We look completely aimless going forward, don't know what's going on but Heary needs to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a ****e match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Looking forward to seeing Forrester's goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Really thought we were gonna get a point, deserved one too and dundalk then score in the last min, horrible season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Half time at rovers bray, 1-0, some tidy play from us but good god bray are brutal.

Still could turn into a route as Matthews had three lads pressing high for half an hour in the first half. That and punting it long seems to be the limit of their ideas, and they visibly tired as the half wore on.

Killduff is struggling - has had a few chances now without really looking like scoring.

Went to the Drogs Pats match today. Drogs woeful. Pats as dominant as the score line suggests. Chris Forresters first goal was unreal. At least 40 yards out and he half volleys it into the top corner. His second goal wasn't bad either. Some talent ( although he was relatively quiet bar those two pieces of magic).

In other news get in Dundalk. Gotta love last minute winners.

• Advertisement

Wasnt a great game, Drogs went man for man and for a while it slowed Pats down. Once the 1st went in only a matter of time before the next.

Forrester has goal of the season in the bag and assist of the season and miss of the season, all on tonights MSN thing

Holy crap. That's even better than I initially thought. Was full sure it was a half volley but it was a full volley looking at that. Magnificent in fairness. Still haven't seen the Jason Byrne goal from last week but it would have to be absolutely ridiculous to beat that one.

That's a ludicrously good goal, had no right to even think about hitting it

Byrnes goal just on RTE cracking lob, hard luck on the GOTM :D Forresters miss :(

Love the way the bohs fans are right behind the goal, looks excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,032 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd say the Derry Limerick game was a thriller...

.... can't find the words to describe how bad it was.

• Advertisement

Prefer Byrne's measured effort tbh, a bit of hit and hope to the other one.

Had Kilduff taken his chances could've been 4-0 at half time, Bray were absolutely useless going forward all game, even at 2-1. Finn had a poor game, but you can see the understanding and trust that he and McPhail have in each other.

That's not the Sheppard Rovers sent to Reading, they did something to him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is it finally Bray's year to go down?

Matthews is toxic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dfx- wrote: »
    not the Sheppard Rovers sent to Reading, they did something to him..

Kind of player that needs to be rated /starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That Forrester goal was just a hit and hope as dfx said above. Not like the delicate chip he scored a couple of seasons back or even the goal he scored for Bohs against us in LSC before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

So much for kicking on after half time :o

A few positives - mainly being able to seal out the game, McPhail really finding his feet, a strong performance from Heaney at LB, Waters giving his former employers a torrid time and hopefully staking his claim ahead of SOC, Robbo getting stuck in (and getting away with a lot more than the likes of Rice it seems), and even Bayly looking useful when he came on.

Negatives - Kilduff again being wasteful in front of goal, Shep looking like a shadow of himself (though he improved over the course of his time on the pitch), nervousness generally creeping in again against a poor team. Just glad we didn't get punished for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement