Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-03-2020, 22:03   #1
Pappa Dolla

Ireland civil war book recommendations

Hi all,

With the centenary coming up, I realised I don't really know anything much about the civil war. Would you have any recommendations?

Many thanks,
Pappa D
Advertisement
04-03-2020, 10:26   #2
riffmongous

Hm afraid it's been so long since I've read any general books on it I can't really recommend anything.. but maybe a few quick questions might help others or remind me of something

How is your War of Independence knowledge? Would a book that covers both be better

Only national or also local? I quite enjoyed "Kilkenny in times of revolution" if you live nearby, although the Civil War section is small enough

Military/political, personal account/overview?
Thanks from:
04-03-2020, 13:59   #3
Ascendant

Michael Hopkinson's Green Against Green is a pretty good, comprehensive overview.

For a more personal approach, I enjoyed Meda Ryan's book on Liam Lynch.

And then you get the memoirs, Todd Andrews' and Padraig O'Connor's being my favourites - and since they were on opposite sides, you get the different POVs.
(3) thanks from:
04-03-2020, 20:08   #4
Pappa Dolla

My war of Independence knowledge would also be abysmal!thank you for the recommendations
13-03-2020, 14:38   #5
Ascendant

Almost forgot to include Seán Enright's book, which takes a legalistic - though no less dangerous - look at the CW.

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
31-03-2020, 21:03   #6
Randy Archer

Earnie O’Malley’s books would be useful, he is one of the few who wrote books and dealt with it , he was also one of the more fervent anti truce men

Agree with the above on Hopkins civil war book and would also suggest his book on the Tan War as it might open people’s eyes as to how quiet many counties were In that war and see the stark contrast with the civil war .

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion