Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-08-2019, 18:32   #76
foxy farmer
Registered User
 
foxy farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,883
Tuesday 13th August: We are awaiting delivery from Germany of replacement parts for the Shannon radar this week. Some additional maintenance work and testing will be required when the replacement parts are fitted.

We will update this article on the expected resumption of service date this Friday.


God almighty what happened. Did it burn to the ground or what.
foxy farmer is offline  
Advertisement
13-08-2019, 21:22   #77
pauldry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,502
A spider went in and built a web in it.

Thats how all my rain gauges fail anyways.
pauldry is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-08-2019, 22:18   #78
Rougies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy farmer View Post
Tuesday 13th August: We are awaiting delivery from Germany of replacement parts for the Shannon radar this week. Some additional maintenance work and testing will be required when the replacement parts are fitted.

We will update this article on the expected resumption of service date this Friday.


God almighty what happened. Did it burn to the ground or what.

Maybe the giggling pin wore out or it needs some new sky hooks. In fairness it's pretty specialised equipment, it's not like they can just go to Woodies for replacement parts.
Rougies is offline  
13-08-2019, 22:28   #79
foxy farmer
Registered User
 
foxy farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougies View Post
Maybe the giggling pin wore out or it needs some new sky hooks. In fairness it's pretty specialised equipment, it's not like they can just go to Woodies for replacement parts.
Considering there's threads on the Shannon radar breakdowns on here going back yrs I think that they must indeed be buying the parts from Woodies. Would explain the frequent outages.
foxy farmer is offline  
(4) thanks from:
13-08-2019, 22:31   #80
Rougies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy farmer View Post
Considering there's threads on the Shannon radar breakdowns on here going back yrs I think that they must indeed be buying the parts from Woodies. Would explain the frequent outages.
There's a saying "you can fix anything with WD-40, duct tape and a hammer". Maybe they're buying the wrong tape?
Rougies is offline  
Advertisement
13-08-2019, 23:49   #81
Comhra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,857
Update on longer term planning

Quote:
Shannon Airport Rainfall Radar Not Operational

The Met Eireann rainfall radar at Shannon Airport is currently not operational due to a technical issue, hence the loss of rainfall radar coverage in the west and south-west of Ireland.

We apologise for this significant loss in coverage especially given the prevailing unsettled Atlantic weather pattern.

Tuesday 13th August: We are awaiting delivery from Germany of replacement parts for the Shannon radar this week. Some additional maintenance work and testing will be required when the replacement parts are fitted.

We will update this article on the expected resumption of service date this Friday.

Quote:
(Update on longer term planning: Met reann is in the development stage of a major programme to modernise and expand the weather radar network of Ireland in order to meet the State’s needs to 2040)

Last edited by Comhra; 14-08-2019 at 14:09.
Comhra is offline  
14-08-2019, 10:54   #82
LoxontheRox
Registered User
 
LoxontheRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougies View Post
There's a saying "you can fix anything with WD-40, duct tape and a hammer". Maybe they're buying the wrong tape?
Anyone got MacGyvers number😊
LoxontheRox is offline  
14-08-2019, 10:56   #83
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy farmer View Post
Complete radar installations have been built from scratch in less time than this is being repaired.
Where?
Phileas Frog is offline  
14-08-2019, 11:25   #84
munsterlegend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoxontheRox View Post
Anyone got MacGyvers number😊
Probably need the A team as well considering the time it’s taking.
munsterlegend is offline  
Advertisement
14-08-2019, 11:37   #85
arccosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 264
would be interesting to know the make and model of the radar, can guage a bit better the possible logistical issues.
arccosh is offline  
14-08-2019, 12:21   #86
dohouch
Registered User
 
dohouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,364
Have a look at this radar picture Will it rain today?

Where is the data in these images coming from?
dohouch is offline  
14-08-2019, 12:32   #87
Iancar29
Registered User
 
Iancar29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohouch View Post
Have a look at this radar picture Will it rain today?

Where is the data in these images coming from?
Thats a forecast model , not radar.
Iancar29 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-08-2019, 13:06   #88
namloc1980
Registered User
 
namloc1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comhra View Post
Update on longer term planning

Quote:
(Update on longer term planning: Met reann is in the development stage of a major programme to modernise and expand the weather radar network of Ireland in order to meet the State’s needs to 2040)
2040 being the expected delivery date no doubt.
namloc1980 is offline  
14-08-2019, 13:21   #89
ecowise
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by arccosh View Post
would be interesting to know the make and model of the radar, can guage a bit better the possible logistical issues.

It's made by Selex Gmbh (parent companyLeonardo Gmbh) in Germany, don't know model details.


http://www.de.selex-es.com/selex_de/...s/weather.html

Last edited by ecowise; 14-08-2019 at 13:33.
ecowise is offline  
Thanks from:
14-08-2019, 14:24   #90
arccosh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecowise View Post
It's made by Selex l

well there's your first issue
arccosh is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet