Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I've still to get the monitor sorted but I did get a number of other little jobs done. I sanded down the coin door and the brackets as they weren't the best condition. Note: use an electric sander if possible as it's seriously tough getting these down to the metal again! Luckily there's no shortage of face masks these days :p

I tried a few different paints before settling on a Matt black spray paint from Halfords, definitely came up looking good match-wise. Unfortunately there's nothing to be done for the scraped chrome around the coin slot, once chrome is gone it's gone. But I did manage to get a decent shine out of the bolts without stripping the chrome.

Have been in contact with the Swiss dude too about archiving things. Once I get a camlick for the door I think that's it done for all aesthetic stuff.

And of course I didn't take any "before" pictures for comparison because that would've been too sensible!

IMG-20200808-201322-0.jpg

IMG-20200809-161427-6.jpg

IMG-20200826-161145-7.jpg

IMG-20200815-180904-8.jpg

IMG-20200814-203448-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Upgraded my outrun cab board to Enhanced version 2.02 . 3 more tracks from the 3ds version , new track layout otpions, driving options, cheats and more. well worth it.
    The new tunes are fantastic. Camino a mi Amor is my new musical obsession at the moment. very clever "modern" composition reminiscent and derivative of the previous tunes : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uQKvROvU8M

been obsessed with it lately and making a midi for a future cover since none is available

If you need one of the acrylic dust washers for the radar scope let me know, I picked up a few from the states for the dk when getting other stuff, couldn’t find them anywhere else and didn’t fancy making them

If you need one of the acrylic dust washers for the radar scope let me know, I picked up a few from the states for the dk when getting other stuff, couldn’t find them anywhere else and didn’t fancy making them

Oh that's cool, I appreciate it. I'm not sure if they ever came with one, it took some hell of an effort to remove the balltop, was probably never moved before.

At some point I might grab one of you all right , thanks :)

Putting feelers out for a 24/25" monitor+chassis. Not too bothered about make

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So had my mortal kombat 2 pretty much ready to go.

Just wire the cp, test and service buttons and clean up some hack wiring. The audio board was working 100% but had a crappy connector. Made up of joined insulated wires and 2 different connector heads.

So got a pair of new 9 pin connectors and rewired it with all new stuff......no power to the audio board now. Double checked everything was wired properly and it is and there's 5v coming out of the psu. No idea what's wrong now. Speakers and everything are fine.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the new wire I used is crap, I reused wire from an arcade crt connector.

This machine just does not want to be finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭geotrig

So had my mortal kombat 2 pretty much ready to go.

Just wire the cp, test and service buttons and clean up some hack wiring. The audio board was working 100% but had a crappy connector. Made up of joined insulated wires and 2 different connector heads.

So got a pair of new 9 pin connectors and rewired it with all new stuff......no power to the audio board now. Double checked everything was wired properly and it is and there's 5v coming out of the psu. No idea what's wrong now. Speakers and everything are fine.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the new wire I used is crap, I reused wire from an arcade crt connector.

This machine just does not want to be finished!

just checking that you checked the -5v line as mk2 sound runs of that ? and that all pins on the loom at sb connector side getting the voltages 12vs -5 and +5 ?

Check continuity on all the connections from one board to the other and see how far the voltage goes before disappearing

Yeah I'll test it some more tonight when I'm home.

There was a clean 5v coming out of the psu anyway. It was getting close to 12 last night and I was in a mess of wires so I called it a night.

I'll hopefully get back to it tonight. Downloaded a manual so I'll get into that too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh Audio needs -5v I had that same issue on my MK2. I used a “Negatron adaptor” on the Jamma connector. That worked too.

• Advertisement

There's some Nicholas Cage film coming out that revolves around a yearly martial arts tournament held between humans and aliens to control earth. It doesn't sound familiar at all.

That first "ohhhhhhhh" is Mr Burton with his mortal kombat board woes :p

Gradius wrote: »
    There's some Nicholas Cage film coming out that revolves around a yearly martial arts tournament held between humans and aliens to control earth. It doesn't sound familiar at all.

That first "ohhhhhhhh" is Mr Burton with his mortal kombat board woes :p

Just said I'd give everyone an update.

Testing the voltage on the MK2 board to make sure it wasnt a voltage issue with the audio board before I bought a new one......it isn't a voltage issue

And now the screen has garbled graphics too.

This is the biggest heartbreaker cab I've ever dealt with

Just said I'd give everyone an update.

Testing the voltage on the MK2 board to make sure it wasnt a voltage issue with the audio board before I bought a new one......it isn't a voltage issue

And now the screen has garbled graphics too.

This is the biggest heartbreaker cab I've ever dealt with

There are many mysteries, many unanswerable questions, even in a life as short as yours, Mr Burton :p

Just perseverance will get it there in the end, as bloody annoying as it can get!

Gradius wrote: »
    There are many mysteries, many unanswerable questions, even in a life as short as yours, Mr Burton :p

Just perseverance will get it there in the end, as bloody annoying as it can get!

I'd say egg shen has been in my arcade
    bigtroublechina4.jpg?w=500

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it's one of those annoying boards that needs -5v alright, are those Negatrons still being made I wonder?

Id say they are. I needed a negatron for my MK2 years ago. Took me ages to figure that out. Think it was Steve who put me onto negatrons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Id say they are. I needed a negatron for my MK2 years ago. Took me ages to figure that out. Think it was Steve who put me onto negatrons.

I think it was one of the lads over on AO that made them wasn't it? If I remember correctly, I needed one myself many moons ago for a Raiden PCB.

Yeh that’s right I think that’s where I got mine. Not sure where you would get one now. Maybe he still sells them.

Yeah it's getting the -5v directly from the PSU.

I must just recheck the edge connector for that though. Running the test the other day it's saying that the sound board is fine, but it's not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dav09

-5 is definitely needed for most if not all of those Midway boards. I've had lots of these and have another 2 coming to me Monday for something and I'm dreading it, always give trouble. They always seem to give trouble, make sure the chips are pushed in and reseed them if you have to. Soundboard commonly goes on them, particularly the main sound chip, it will still boot without the sound board attached

I'd presume your not getting the boot diagnostic ?screen so? It could be a case it's not getting enough juice still, id suggest measuring the voltage from a chip on the board , midway mk boards suffer a lot with cold solder joints so might be worth having z light press on some chips to see if anything changes.

I always hated these boards the most.

Yeah it's booting and playing fine it seems.

Apart from the low punch and kick buttons not registering, bit that's another problem. And the blue on the game running super low.

Might be worth my while to whip out and board and send it off for a service to someone who knows what they are looking at

Yeah it's booting and playing fine it seems.

Apart from the low punch and kick buttons not registering, bit that's another problem. And the blue on the game running super low.

Might be worth my while to whip out and board and send it off for a service to someone who knows what they are looking at

Give me a shout if you find someone who'll give them a full service. Working with these boards is never easy and if I could get them done once and for all I would instead of messing about with quick fixes. Have 2 more coming Monday (and one more slightly newer version) along with a NBA Jam PCB (with a weird error yet runs fine), hate having to work with those boards the most too.

Ah i thought it wasn't booting at all /o , is there a setting in the test menu for sound that can be turned up down .. Or am I thinking of another game?

geotrig wrote: »
    Ah i thought it wasn't booting at all /o , is there a setting in the test menu for sound .. Or am I thinking of another game?

Yeah almost sure all MK2 PCBs has that test menu, it should test the ROMs on boot up, the -5 is used specifically for the soundboard too by the way I'm fairly sure as it's for the sound oscillation I believe, typically for these soundboards to go and is usually the main chip on it which can be replaced, is there any sound or anything when turned up loud?

Will do dav, I have a replacement audio board sourced and all bit I have a feeling that it's not the problem. Service menu tests are telling me it's running fine and there's static on the speaker and I can hear the signal change when the music changes so there's just something stopping it. I replaced the crystal but that didn't do anything.

Turned on the audio etc in the menus.

It's definitely a hardware issue.

Will do dav, I have a replacement audio board sourced and all bit I have a feeling that it's not the problem. Service menu tests are telling me it's running fine and there's static on the speaker and I can hear the signal change when the music changes so there's just something stopping it. I replaced the crystal but that didn't do anything.

Turned on the audio etc in the menus.

It's definitely a hardware issue.

Yep I'm fairly sure I have ran into that exact issue before and it was either that big main sound chip, u37 or U2 I think (whatever the main sound rom chip is that's always problematic), makes a high squealing noise and changes noise when a sound is triggered. The sound in this video is what it gave off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUCfF0FDSOI helped with me if it's the same

Also low punch and kick buttons might be the kick-harness needed as it uses only 3 buttons jamma per player and needs the harness for the extra, or if not related to the processing of this if those are the kick harness buttons? Might be a cap or something small

That's great video. Just had a watchd it there

So my LED doesn't light up....but I think it lights up for the test tone, which I get when I go into the sound menu, 1 tone means everything is good.

I replaced the crystal and my ribbon cable is seated properly.

I think that chip might be the answer, he says it's linked to the LED etc so no harm in replacing it and seeing. My soldering skills leave a bit to be desired though haha

• Advertisement

dav09 wrote: »
    Yep I'm fairly sure I have ran into that exact issue before and it was either that big main sound chip, u37 or U2 I think (whatever the main sound rom chip is that's always problematic), makes a high squealing noise and changes noise when a sound is triggered. The sound in this video is what it gave off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUCfF0FDSOI helped with me if it's the same

Also low punch and kick buttons might be the kick-harness needed as it uses only 3 buttons jamma per player and needs the harness for the extra, or if not related to the processing of this if those are the kick harness buttons? Might be a cap or something small

Not sure about the kick harness. I got a loom made specifically for this board but didn't even think really about that. I'll check it out too. Thanks dav

Advertisement