Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It looks a bit like a tomato to me. Or more like a cluster of tomato seeds that sprouted all together, as if a whole tomato was dropped there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 beamoflight

New Home wrote: »
    It looks a bit like a tomato to me. Or more like a cluster of tomato seeds that sprouted all together, as if a whole tomato was dropped there.

Yes, I think you're right. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I think I unleashed a monster! :eek:

I threw a mix of what I thought were pollinator friendly seeds into my grass verges last year. Now I see this popping up all over the garden, is it mint? How do I control it ASAP before it becomes a garden escapee, the last thing I want is it taking over! It seems to smother everything in its path. It’s right nest to my hedgehog burrows so I’m hesitant about weed killer but I may not have a choice? :(

525438.jpeg

525439.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think I unleashed a monster! :eek:

I threw a mix of what I thought were pollinator friendly seeds into my grass verges last year. Now I see this popping up all over the garden, is it mint? How do I control it ASAP before it becomes a garden escapee, the last thing I want is it taking over! It seems to smother everything in its path. It’s right nest to my hedgehog burrows so I’m hesitant about weed killer but I may not have a choice? :(

525438.jpeg

525439.jpeg

Looks like one of that family to me alright. I have one similar that I think was just sold in the local garden centre as flowering mint and it has spread about a bit but not really taken over and it has similar flowers but the leaf is different. If you crush up some leaf and smell it you should get an indication if it is a mint relative. I have a few mints growing in the ground and some dead nettle which is related as well and I don't have any intention on using herbicide on them since they produce good flowers for the pollinators and being nature friendly is the priority in my own garden. I also have found wild mint in the local fields so I don't think it counts as a garden escapee in the same way as Japaneese knotweed and other non native plants.

Thanks macragnil, it doesn’t smell like mint, but I have a feeling that that’s what it is. The thought of using weed killer goes against all my beliefs, but I’ve watching this plant all summer and it really smothers everything around it and it seems to be popping up everywhere now. I’d hate to be responsible for releasing something that smothers native plants around it!

I’ve just been out pulling it out, the roots are shallow so I’m hoping a good weeding should just control it. It seems to be very happy in my nettle patch so I’m going to be stung head to toe :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think that's Marsh Woundwort, usually a bit of a reek off the leaves. It can just pop up in barish soil, although it might have been what you sowed.

Just to add it's a native wildflower, does have busy rather than invasive tendencies, a rather nice addition to a wildlife friendly garden.

Thanks blaris! Google images of marsh woundwort seem to fit. It has been a huge hit with the bees, thank god it’s native, you’ve put my mind at ease a bit! Freak out over :pac:

But I think I’ll still pull it out a bit to keep on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mystery bulbs for the thread to solve

37eD9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Dug up old soil a few months ago and put down grass seed, a lot of weeds now in the grass. What would be best to put on it so the weeds die and the grass grows better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I wouldn't be using weed killer on new lawn. Just keep it cut for this year and see how its looking next spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

They look a bit like Bluebell bulbs. They're lovely in flower but can become a nuisance as they spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bluebell bulbs was my thought, but they are just too long and irregular. I have seen them before though and it will annoy me till I figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wyldwood wrote: »
    They look a bit like Bluebell bulbs. They're lovely in flower but can become a nuisance as they spread.

Cheers, I'll pot them up and see what happens. I got them from a client last Autumn (she couldn't recall what they were) and I threw them in the ground at the top of the garden where they were promptly forgotten about and I never really noticed if they did anything before clearing the site more recently. I really must start to pay attention to this sort of thing and make a map of what's planted where.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭standardg60

Surely that's an orchid of some description?

Thanks macragnil, it doesn’t smell like mint, but I have a feeling that that’s what it is. The thought of using weed killer goes against all my beliefs, but I’ve watching this plant all summer and it really smothers everything around it and it seems to be popping up everywhere now. I’d hate to be responsible for releasing something that smothers native plants around it!

I’ve just been out pulling it out, the roots are shallow so I’m hoping a good weeding should just control it. It seems to be very happy in my nettle patch so I’m going to be stung head to toe :rolleyes:

Sorry I'm talking about this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Thanks. My 'Picture This' plant ID app suggested Kiwi but I wasn't sure. Might be worth looking after it, if not for fruit maybe for decoration.

Definitely looks like Kiwi (used to grow them from seed when I was a kid).

Train it to grow on a Trellis if possible. I never got flowers on them. Maybe you will have better luck.

You will need at least one male plant with any female plants to get fruit.

Surely that's an orchid of some description?

Funny, I questioned that too until blaris mentioned woundwort. A quick Google and got this

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=323&wildflower=Woundwort,%20Hedge

Love this website!

Funny, I questioned that too until blaris mentioned woundwort. A quick Google and got this

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=323&wildflower=Woundwort,%20Hedge

Love this website!

Ah i missed his post!
    Blaris is a genius on the wild stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,113 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This fella is growing under some trees in my garden, anyone able to tell me what it is?

First year I've seen it

https://flic.kr/p/2jFTGAX

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lords-and-Ladies/ Jack-in-the-pulpit/ Arum

Didn’t get this at first...😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Also known as Cuckoo Pint

https://flic.kr/p/2jFTGAX

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

macraignil wrote: »
    I think it's a type of hottentot fig which is from South Africa so would probably need plenty of light and not much water.

Growing wild above Myrtleville beach

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Can anyone ID this plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Can anyone tell what shrub this is and also can I prune it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Osmanthus Fortunei maybe. Can be pruned.

bluestone wrote: »
    Can anyone ID this plant?

I'm not sure. It looks like Burdock, but leaves are a bit congested for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell what shrub this is and also can I prune it?

Thanks

Looks like parahebe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

rje66 wrote: »
    Looks like parahebe.

That's it, thanks so much

Advertisement