Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you prepared for UBI?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Get a job ya no good hippie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Social rating will be here long before UBI, wouldn't be surprised if we see a version of that in the next government, the Children of the Quorn will call it an eco-rating or some such moniker

I've never heard that term before. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

No get away from my urinary tract!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

fryup wrote: »
    isn't that what half the country is getting at the moment with the covid payment

Yes, and I cant wait to get off it and back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

J. Marston wrote: »
    What is UBI exactly? The dole?

UBI

Unlimited layaBouts Income

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The Frank Grimes of this world would be hostile to such a thing. Working a second job in the foundry at night and living in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley. Giving themselves ulcers thinking about the imaginary army of layabouts undermining the fabric of society.

Yurt! wrote: »
    The Frank Grimes of this world would be hostile to such a thing. Working a second job in the foundry at night and living in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley. Giving themselves ulcers thinking about the imaginary army of layabouts undermining the fabric of society.

What are you doing up in the morning?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    What are you doing up in the morning?

Morning Grimey.

It's not morning where I am btw. And gainfully employed, thanks for your concern.

UBI

Unlimited layaBouts Income
    oh id like that! :)

Yurt! wrote: »
    Morning Grimey.

It's not morning where I am btw. And gainfully employed, thanks for your concern.

No need for personal attacks just because I don't agree with your opinion.

• Advertisement

No need for personal attacks just because I don't agree with your opinion.

Because your response to my initial post wasn't a personal attack right? Give over.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Clickbait title. "Prepared"? It's not coming.

Besides, we already have a version of UBI, but we call it "dole".

I want 70,000 a year please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Be great to get a few quid back in the form of UBI. I’d save it up and spend it on new golf clubs or maybe use it for the Cheltenham war chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Life will be better overall. We'll grow up through maturity and character as opposed to basing growing up on getting on the corporate ladder.

Time to embrace it. AI is coming for all jobs sooner or later. We only have a short time on the planet, can't be wasting 40 hours a week in an office or in a shop or whatever else.

I think UBI is a good idea, but I'd be careful of assuming that its arrival is even close to imminent, and I don't see what it would change about the corporate ladder. It's meant as more efficient safety net that encourages rather than discourages participation in the workplace by removing the welfare trap aspect. It's not intended to be a replacement for what someone would earn if they were pursing a career.
    I don't understand UBI fully, but I genuinely can't see how giving Irish people more money when not working will solve the issues. We already have a fairly hefty part of society that refuse to work because we make it financially viable for them to not work.

It's more a case of UBI making it viable to accept work, even a small amount, because someone would always be better off by doing so.
    biko wrote: »
    Clickbait title. "Prepared"? It's not coming.

Besides, we already have a version of UBI, but we call it "dole".

They're two very different things so no, we don't already have a version of it.

mickdw wrote: »
    Everyone gets same amount. You cant have extra benefits for some where housing is paid etc.
    I dont see it as an extra cost to government. Anyone working will have to pay pretty severe taxes to allow government to claw back the equivalent of the ubi from even low paid workers.
    Should be lots of benefits in admin for government as well as fraud detection benefits etc.

Asl long as it's done properly and everyone, working and unemployed, is paid directly and not by means of tax credits, etc. If UBI needs the same, or an extra level of bureaucracy to administer it, it's already half failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I can't see it working. The lazy in society will figure out a way to not work while keeping their seat on the gravy train. We will see a huge spike in the amount of people unable to work and going on "the sick', their partners will become registered carers. All the while, the state will have to house them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

I think it's an absolutely nonsense concept that hasn't been thought through by many of its proponents.

Some people will receive €300 a week and live very frugally and comfortably. Other people, through poor life choices, will waste the entire €300 and still end up in poverty. I just think the exact same people who waste the majority of their wages now will waste it when they get €300 they haven't even had to earn. It will also make us highly dependent on the state who will obviously use it as leverage over the population. Do people really think the state will just give free money away and expect nothing in return?

I think it's total insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Considering we're the most intelligent species on the planet it's a major Fu*k up on our part that we have to slave away for 40/60 hours per week just to survive, all while destroying the planet.
    If any other species had this intelligence they'd have made a far better job of things.

Capra wrote: »
    I think it's an absolutely nonsense concept that hasn't been thought through by many of its proponents.

I think it's total insanity.

There may be problems with it, but it's far from being "nonsense" or "insanity". There would be no more reaqson for someone in work to jack in their job to get their UBI because, as with going in the dole, UBI by itself would be a major income-drop and also, anyone in employment would already be getting UBI anyway. This is the point.

Unemployed person income: UBI+nothing

Unemployed person doing a few hours a week: UBI + some extra pin money

Part time employed person's income: UBI+part-time salary

Full time employ-persons income: UBI+full-time salary

Advantage to the individual: You're always better off working, and if employed, there's no need do apply for assistance if suddenly unemployed and then wait for ages until it comes through, as its already being received.

Advantage to the state: Much much cheaper to administer. More people in at least some work than 100% out of it.

The biggest question around it, and which doesn't appear to have been asked in this thread yet, is how it's financed.

• Advertisement

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=universal+basic+income

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Capra wrote:
    Some people will receive €300 a week and live very frugally and comfortably. Other people, through poor life choices, will waste the entire €300 and still end up in poverty. I just think the exact same people who waste the majority of their wages now will waste it when they get €300 they haven't even had to earn. It will also make us highly dependent on the state who will obviously use it as leverage over the population. Do people really think the state will just give free money away and expect nothing in return?

Governments and central banks have no bother giving free money to highly questionable sectors such as the financial and corporate sectors, so why not give it directly to the citizens, even trump has copped onto this with his covid payment!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Should we land grab all the property and put them in state control so that everyone starts off from the same level?

Doesn't matter.
    People who are better will still rise above them.
    People with intelligence, a good work ethic, people skills, creative... the cream rises to the top...

So this "grab all the property" robbery that you talk of, still won't make people equal. In fact it would be a complete disincentive for decent people to go out and work, create, take risks etc. It would drag everyone down to the lowest level.

Doesn't matter. People who are better will still rise above them. People with intelligence, a good work ethic, people skills, creative... the cream rises to the top...

Me bollocks! Wealthy people aren't better than none wealthy, there's a lot of luck with it, and many are born into wealth. many none wealthy are intelligent, have incredible work ethic, people skills and are very creative. Jesus, what planet do some be living on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

Is it backwards compatible with USB 2.0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Not a very well thought out idea from me but I was wondering if to support something like UBI, companies should have a graduated corporate tax where the more jobs they provide, the lower the rate of corporate tax. Obviously this would be scaled by size of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's the notion that if you are a citizen of a country then the country must provide you with basic income.
    It's charity without the charity feeling.

The difference with dole is that UBI isn't means tested so it includes people with good salaries.

It comes from the tax payer so if I pay tax and you don't then:
    we both get UBI
    I pay for your UBI
    I pay for my own UBI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

UBI mad to think it will ever take off

Jucifer wrote: »
    Not a very well thought out idea from me but I was wondering if to support something like UBI, companies should have a graduated corporate tax where the more jobs they provide, the lower the rate of corporate tax. Obviously this would be scaled by size of the company.

so the more wealth they create, the less tax they pay, and the more tax their workers pay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

We also need to purify the population and remove any "bad elements" that might be inclined towards sympathisers of the anti AI brigade.

It is the urban vices of the Dubs that has corrupted the country. The fix is to empty Dublin of people and send them to farms in the west to be purified by picking stones and footing turf.
    Those who cannot or will not work can still help the crops grow. If their presence is no profit, then their death will be no loss.
    Footing turf in the wilds of Mayo is the ultimate tool for ideological purification.

Advertisement