Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Old' V's 'New' no holds barred debate/arguement thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seannash wrote: »
    just to make another point.yes the technology was probably more basic that what a "twat" like me has available right now.
    so recognising this how can you still claim that the people with a very basic technology set up are creating better tracks than todays producers.
    doesnt make any sense especially when you take it at the highest level with the very best producers using the latest technology and past technology to make tracks
    Applying that logic would mean that anything Beethoven or Mozart produced would be inferior to anything that has been produced by any modern composers because they have more advanced technology at their disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Applying that logic would mean that anything Beethoven or Mozart produced would be inferior to anything that has been produced by any modern composers because they have more advanced technology at their disposal.

no because they were composers in the purest sense. If you are composing a symphony nowadays, you are pretty much going to be using the exact same tools as they did - paper, pen, ears, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Hiya, newbie here, been reading here for a while but feel compelled to post after reading this!

New Skool vs Old Skool, there simply is no comparison,here is my view.

I was in Ibiza last summer for the first time since 1998, changed so much, still lovely but the general lack of atmosphere in clubs and outrageous prices means i doubt ill be back anytime soon!

We went to DC10 as we had heard good reports about it but sorry i did now,a shocking waste of money.

This place itself does have a raw feel to it and once inside i did get excited at the prospect of it being a really good night i didn't know any of the DJ 's on the bill but it looked a good prospect,however i left after 3 hours feeling dejected and robbed of the entrance fee,the crowd appears to be exclusively over tanned Italians with some Spanish and a smattering of other Nationalities present, almost everyone is wearing sunglasses despite the daylight hours having almost passed,the place was packed and the general atmosphere was not good, i didn't pick up any positive or good vibes from anyone,people had a tendency to stare and smirk which i didn't like, the music was the main killer though, it's called minimal techno and it consists of one beat with a bleep type sound that appears to go on for several mins, the music then shuffles a bit and goes back to the one beat, this appears to be a constant thing and goes on and on and on and on relentlessly, there was no vocals and no pianos it's just the same repetitive beat almost tune after tune, there are a lot of drugs being consumed but little or no ecstasy by the looks of it, the drug of choice for these over tanned muscle type poseurs is Ketamine which in case you don't know is a Tranquilizer for putting Horses to sleep, some are taking cocaine but K as it's known is the drug of choice for these people and some are quite literally rolling around the floor in what is called a "k Hole" and it is quite disturbing to look at,others are just nodding their head to the repetitive beat of the song the DJ is playing and this goes on and on throughout,it was truly dreadful to be perfectly honest, if this is what they call dance music today i want no part of it, it's soulless music with no substance and is truly awful, you cannot compare old skool Rave to something like this,it is a no brainer, the Rave scene was innovative, fresh, and exciting, and most importantly the music was very uplifting, and atmosphere @ Raves and in clubs was always amazing, you could talk to and even hug random strangers and they would be your best friend for a few hours anyway, in fact some of my best friends to this day are people i met back in the carefree days of 1989 when i lived in England and got into the scene, if you attempted to do anything like that these days especially hug someone you would most likely end up getting a kicking or worse.

I agree with this to a point, im planning on going over to ibiza again this summer, for the summer, the k heads trippin out to minimal is a side of the island id prefer not to expose my girlfriend too. I thought magda in privilege was the best night last year (BAR sven of course) but the buffed up italian/spanish steroid heads really wrecked my head....they're the least friendly people in the world...its like godskitchen in the point for fcuk sake, u feel they could start on u for nothing at any minute. That said, i disagree with your views on minimal techno......i mean i wouldnt listen to "the sky is pink" on my ipod, but such tunes are still deadly, sound amazing on a great soundsystem......

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Resident DJ @ Retro www.retroevents.com and Pacha in Ibiza sent this message on facebook, he is of course trying to plug his own night (it's already very popular up the north of England) and without wanting to sound biast but i do think he has a valid point, ive spent a lot of time in England over the last 7 months and i can see it first hand.
    Peeps..........

Yes it’s now official, club world is turning to the past to get itself out of the ****. All over the UK there are House classics nights springing up as the failure of the creation of good new dance music is causing clubs and promoters to turn to the past in an attempt to get people back onto the dance floor as this current recession continues to bite. Even recent articles like the one in the posh Times newspaper who apparently have recently done a survey showing that more of these so called throw back to the past type of nights are in vogue these days but do little to impress the already confirmed “champions of all things classic”, the mighty Retro. We of course just sit back and smirk as we do not or never have required headlines or quotes from so called people in the know to tell us who really knows that we discovered this almost 20 years ago and have indeed continued to pioneer throughout that long period and kept it to ourselves.

It seems now that we have created a bandwagon which everyone of course wants to jump onto. Truth is sad promoters who have run out of their self indulgent ideas for a new sound have been copying us for well over a decade now.

It has been a massive week for us here at the HQ of all things Retro with our decision to go with a return to Tall Trees on Sunday 24 May 2009. We took an age to make this very difficult choice but how could we reject the overwhelming response to the thousands who partitioned and showed their true passion on the mighty Facebook to “get us back” to our spiritual home. We also negotiated ourselves into a more comfortable position with the club owners who have assured us that everything will be done to bring this great event up to the standards we ALL expect. We will try our hardest to make this another fantastic memory for all of us to savour. We simply can’t wait for this to happen now and it seems that the majority of you agree. Bring this mama on!

Let us not forget though that there is plenty of dance floor madness to be had before this including our regular monthly shenanigans (or should that be henanigans to avoid being sexist) at our jaw dropping girlie friendly LOVEFUNKY this Friday at the Empire and TWO Retro headliners at Havana, Wakey and the immense Fusion in Burnalee.

I have to say how much I enjoyed my passage to Moscow last Saturday, it took some getting to but was well worth it as I indulged in the land of vodka and **** cars at the most beautiful PACHA, and how I made it back to my adopted home of Teesside on the Sunday, well that I shall never know but hell I do know one thing I enjoyed it!

We are STEAMING ahead people, all aboard the RETRO train.

Paulski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

The funny thing is when I seen Paul Taylor in Ibiza he was pure cack.
    My mates were there 2 years ago aswell and said the exact same thing.
    His tune selection and mixing leaves a lot to be desired.

I've seen him 3 times, one time he was outstanding, the other time id say good allbeit a bit cheesy and the other time not good,so id give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

There's a fairly simple explanation for this kind of thing, mainly to do with the birth rates and incidence of a baby boomer generation hitting a certain age with a decent ratio of disposable income to net. Its the same reason why those School Daze/Back2School monstrosities are so popular.

Asides from the bare observation, that whole article is a heap of unmitigated ****e from a biased and fairly decrepit DJ - ''It seems now that we have created a bandwagon which everyone of course wants to jump onto'' - what a plonker...

jimi_t wrote: »
    There's a fairly simple explanation for this kind of thing, mainly to do with the birth rates and incidence of a baby boomer generation hitting a certain age with a decent ratio of disposable income to net. Its the same reason why those School Daze/Back2School monstrosities are so popular.

Asides from the bare observation, that whole article is a heap of unmitigated ****e from a biased and fairly decrepit DJ - ''It seems now that we have created a bandwagon which everyone of course wants to jump onto'' - what a plonker...

Agreed what a twatty self indulgent thing to say.

• Advertisement

shouldn't this be in the 'old school,no holds barred thread'?

I'm pretty sure it should be.

Although I don't think a plug for someone's night should be presented as lending any weight to any argument. Then again our Johnny seems not to be handicapped by the restraints of logic and reason in the same way others are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Lawl :pac:

Absolutely nothing to do with birth rate and disposable income (there is a recession on i hardly think most have got lots of disposable income) of course the old skool haters will jump on and say it's a crock of sh*t but there is a lot of truth in it whether or not you choose to believe it, Paul Taylor might not be everyones cup of tea but he has been around since the very beginning and contrary to what some might say he doesn't just play old skool he plays across the board, it's not just people in their 30's with grown up kids who are going to these nites there ar epeople of all ages from 18 to 45, Up Yer Ronson @ Space in Leeds (Leeds' premier club) is on this coming Saturday and i can guarantee you'll get all ages attending, Up Yer Ronson for anyone who doesn't know is the UK's longest running House music nite as far as im aware.

I agree to an extent there is a severe lack of decent new music being made and has been for quite sometime,that's not to say there isn't decent tunage being made,it's just in small proporations,and less uplifting piano House which is what many punters are crying out for (hence the reason these nites are so popular)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

The funny thing is when I seen Paul Taylor in Ibiza he was pure cack.
    My mates were there 2 years ago aswell and said the exact same thing.
    His tune selection and mixing leaves a lot to be desired.

Dude, being a top DJ in Ibiza isn't about how well you mix or even the tracks you play its about how well you network and decisions made by promotors after a serious coke session.
    John Cecchini, Ibiza legend, or so his blog says, stops tunes mid flight, doesn't bother mixing half the time and plays the cheeeziest most commercial cack you will ever hear and yet he still gets payed as a name DJ.

But man can that guy do a line.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jonny68 wrote: »
    I agree to an extent there is a severe lack of decent new music being made and has been for quite sometime,that's not to say there isn't decent tunage being made,it's just in small proporations,and less uplifting piano House which is what many punters are crying out for (hence the reason these nites are so popular)
    piano house!!!
    it because its been done to death.theres only so many times you can hear piano house tracks without them sounding samey.
    theres great music being made if you just expand your horizons a bit and not look at the same labels,artists,genres that youve been looking at for the past 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

The fact is that the majority of new dance music is aloada gick,absolutley no atmosphere,spirit and no buzz to it at all,most of it is just sh*t remix after sh*t remix,it just comes accross as bland and lacks any sort of emotion,back in the day dance music was about,getting out and having a good time,getting fcked up and dancing like a lunatic and nobody giving a sh*t of what a fool you were making of yourself,yeah there is decent new tunes,but they are few and fair between,1996 was the end of decent dance music in my view

• Advertisement

piano house!!!
    it because its been done to death.theres only so many times you can hear piano house tracks without them sounding samey.
    theres great music being made if you just expand your horizons a bit and not look at the same labels,artists,genres that youve been looking at for the past 10 years

Piano house is a whole lot better then anything thats being brought out nowadays

of course the old skool haters will jump on and say it's a crock of sh*t but there is a lot of truth in it whether or not you choose to believe it
    I like old skool music and I still think it's a crock of sh1t.

Paul Taylor might not be everyones cup of tea but he has been around since the very beginning
    Yeah but that's the point, even a stopped watch is right twice a day, and by that I mean if you stick at something for long enough it'll come into vogue again and make the people that stuck with it seem really cool and with it until the next big thing comes around.

Personally I don't really like the idea of "old skool nights" anymore. It was a novelty at first but it's just gone stale now. I'd much prefer the idea of a DJ playing a mixture of old an new banging in the odd classic here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

There is loads of really great music being made today if you can just be arsed to look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p4ddyv

I was over in Newcastle the weekend and seen Paul Taylor play in one of the bars in "The Gate" which is like a shopping center full of clubs and bars.

And Holy F*%$ing **** he was unreal... Played for an hour while we were there letting tunes play for 20-30 seconds then bang straight in with another tune. Scratching all the way.. That bloke is top class and highly recommend!

I also seen Carl Cox on the next night and it was only 12 quid in.. I think the last time he was in the POD I paid closer to 60 quid in....

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    There is loads of really great music being made today if you can just be arsed to look for it.

Its very hard to find though,like looking for a nun in a mosque

• Advertisement

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Its very hard to find though,like looking for a nun in a mosque
    Ah c'mon. How difficult is it to search for music while sitting at a computer screen?

It's not like in my day when you had to..........

raver ro, honestly, do you read your posts before you hit that button?

jtsuited wrote: »
    raver ro, honestly, do you read your posts before you hit that button?

No Im in work,and bored.and this is the only site I have access to,so I dont really give a b*llox

No Im in work,and bored.and this is the only site I have access to,so I dont really give a b*llox

ah that explains it.

ah that explains it.

Yeah the b*stards have every site barred except their own website,rte and boards,go figure

The fact is that the majority of new dance music is aloada gick,absolutley no atmosphere,spirit and no buzz to it at all,most of it is just sh*t remix after sh*t remix,it just comes accross as bland and lacks any sort of emotion,back in the day dance music was about,getting out and having a good time,getting fcked up and dancing like a lunatic and nobody giving a sh*t of what a fool you were making of yourself,yeah there is decent new tunes,but they are few and fair between,1996 was the end of decent dance music in my view
    tell the truth now,the remix after remix you are talking about are all electrohouse remixes.most people have abandoned that genre at this stage.
    start looking at tech house, techno,minimal,deep house and a whole host of other genres for new music.

or just look at the phenomenally good output of labels like sci+tec, bpitch control and my personal favourite of the moment Ostgun Ton.

tell the truth now,the remix after remix you are talking about are all electrohouse remixes.most people have abandoned that genre at this stage.
    start looking at tech house, techno,minimal,deep house and a whole host of other genres for new music.

Yeah I'll admit there are afew tunes out there(tech-house,techno,trance etc),which are decent,some are amazing,have you heard trafik by Beetech(R klinkerberg instrumental) check it out!

Yeah I'll admit there are afew tunes out there(tech-house,techno,trance etc),which are decent,some are amazing,have you heard trafik by Beetech(R klinkerberg instrumental) check it out!
    id honestly say theres more than a few out there.if people would step out of the genres the know and listen to the likes of the genres listed there wouldnt be this debate of dance music being stale.its just as fresh as before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

or just look at the phenomenally good output of labels like sci+tec, bpitch control and my personal favourite of the moment Ostgun Ton.

All my favourite labels at the moment too along with the likes of Border Community (not much released recently but new Nathan Fake should be good) and Poker Flat.

• Advertisement

and it's moved! huzzah.

I'd much prefer the idea of a DJ playing a mixture of old an new banging in the odd classic here and there.

My theory exactly, there is enough good music out there you just have to wade through the ****. Its great to hear a dj dropping the odd classic in here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Its just not the same since elvis left the building.
    And my Mega Drive is better than your Super NES.
    so there!!!:rolleyes:

Seriously, Scooter was huge pre 96 and likewise we've had to put up with cascada for the last few years. It all about personal taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Tech Trance fo lfy!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

If the music is too loud you're too old.

Grandpa Shocked used to say that the music back during WWII was the best and he flat out refused to listen to my house tracks.
    But they had no Banana's. Apparently..

Oh ya, he said there was a big underground movement in France back then too!

Zascar wrote: »
    Or get a room ;)
    They could fight it out to the death Pancho Style!!
    Minimal -v- Oldskool

Who wins??

Let the Dildo's decide!!!!

besides im on his ignore list so he wouldnt see my invite
    You're really hurt about that aren't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

They could fight it out to the death Pancho Style!!
    Minimal -v- Oldskool

Who wins??

Let the Dildo's decide!!!!

You're really hurt about that aren't you.

lmfao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

i dont see why there should be a debate between old school and minimal really, if old school truly was the peak of dance music wouldnt people still be making music in that style?

dance music is constantly evolving, this is because the music can become structured in such a way that all songs within that genre start to sound very similar after a while, producers are well aware of this, this is why the more inventive producers out there becoming pioneers of new genres as they are sick of the old sound everyone is playing, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon and the new genre is explored to its limits and then something new happens.

Minimal is a good example of this, there is a lot of cliches in the genre at the moment, a lot of producers produce similar sounds and thus some people are starting to get sick of it, there is still some room to explore within the genre, but its nearly at the end of its run, the tech house sound seems to be more on the cards for this summer.

When minimal does come to the end of its run of popularity, im not gonna complain about the good old days and complain that everyone is listening to tech house these days, ill listen to the artists that are still pushing the boundries of the genre, im not gonna waste my time by living in the past

SteveDon wrote: »
    i dont see why there should be a debate between old school and minimal really, if old school truly was the peak of dance music wouldnt people still be making music in that style?

dance music is constantly evolving, this is because the music can become structured in such a way that all songs within that genre start to sound very similar after a while, producers are well aware of this, this is why the more inventive producers out there becoming pioneers of new genres as they are sick of the old sound everyone is playing, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon and the new genre is explored to its limits and then something new happens.

Minimal is a good example of this, there is a lot of cliches in the genre at the moment, a lot of producers produce similar sounds and thus some people are starting to get sick of it, there is still some room to explore within the genre, but its nearly at the end of its run, the tech house sound seems to be more on the cards for this summer.

When minimal does come to the end of its run of popularity, im not gonna complain about the good old days and complain that everyone is listening to tech house these days, ill listen to the artists that are still pushing the boundries of the genre, im not gonna waste my time by living in the past
    steve any luck getting that track moisture bud signed.was listening to it the other day

• Advertisement

steve any luck getting that track moisture bud signed.was listening to it the other day

havent really tried sending it out to any labels man, sent it off to a few promotors and got a gig out of it

will be banging out a live set on the electribes on the 13th of june in kennedys! (sorry for the shameless plug)

havent really tried sending it out to any labels man, sent it off to a few promotors and got a gig out of it

will be banging out a live set on the electribes on the 13th of june in kennedys! (sorry for the shameless plug)
    nice one.
    you should maybe throw it up on

http://emireland.com/viewforum.php?f=1

theres a few irish labels and promoters on there.its a good track,should have no problem getting it signed

cheers sean, thanks for your advice and support, just posted it up on emireland there!

cheers sean, thanks for your advice and support, just posted it up on emireland there!
    saw that man.best to put it in the general chat part,not much traffic in the download section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Where'd you get the info for them? I'm at the stage where'd I'd like to start trying to make something out of my music but I wouldn't know where to start in terms of promotion?

jimi_t wrote: »
    Where'd you get the info for them? I'm at the stage where'd I'd like to start trying to make something out of my music but I wouldn't know where to start in terms of promotion?

Myspace seems to be the place man, they all have addresses up on there own spaces for mailing demos etc, some of them have soundcloud accounts that you can drop music to, if you cant find a place to send demos to for a particular label that usually means they arent looking for any new releases

• Advertisement

just realised you meant promotors, same logic applys really, myspace all the way

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

(EDIT: This post was in response to some bickering that i have now removed)

Lads:

As per the first post, this thread was set up to take all the old vs new idiocy away from the general forum - and it was for you to battle it out and generally be unmoderated.

Look guys, Me and Kev try to keep things as chilled as possible around here and not be mod-nazi's like in many of the other forums, but can we not all get along and stop acting like frickin children???

We all have music tastes we dislike but resorting to petty name calling is just pathetic. I'm just getting really bored of it now so take this as a warning.

I think the old vs new debate is very interesting if discussed properly - I do not want to close this thread - so can we please try to discuss this in a normal adult fashion?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thread Cleaned - now back on topic.

SteveDon, I really like that MoistureBud track - definitely get it out there...

Oh and don't appologise for the shameless plus - I'm more that happy for active members to promote themselves here.

this has nothing to do with different tastes anymore.

johnny consistently posts contradictory and imo just plain wrong statements. Ad nauseum.

constantly 'recession this, rip off that, my bird, moving to leeds, terrible remix this, you'll only find me at underground that, etc etc.'

Many posters point out why his thinking is entirely illogical/contradictory/just plain silly and he retorts in a dismissive and patronising way (he's fond of the use of the word 'son'), continuing to knock out statements that simply make no sense.

MANY MANY threads he derails by saying something like '20 euro, that's a rip off. especially in this climate, etc. etc.' and tbh MANY MANY people point out why he's wrong.

And actually if you wander over to the Rip Off Ireland forum, he's been up to the same antics over there but to a far smaller extent basically because everyone told him to shut up a long time ago.

Over here, he feels some sense of entitlement about this forum from being here so long (a mirror to his outlook on the real world imho).

If Johnny was into tech-house, minimal, techno, and was my single biggest fan, we'd still have a problem with the sh1te that he goes on here with. It has nothing to do with favourite genres or different tastes in different music.

As far as people saying 'Go easy on him', I'm afraid I'm not going to, as I believed he showed his true colours in numerous posts when he personally got abusive with both Sean Nash and me respectively.

Huge problem with people like Johnny is even when he's called out on something silly he's said, he either a)chooses to ignore it or b) fails to have the aptitude to grasp the person's point.

And so begins another thread with him spewing the same aul nonsense, and someone else trying to get their point across so he quitens down.

There are plenty of different people here with vastly different interests in massively different genres and everyone gets along no problem (for the most part).

(Before i head out) i just logged in and again have been informed about another post purely out to attack me, this has to stop and stop now, im sick of these 2 same people randomly coming out and talking absolute rubbish about me, i have both on ignore but im still being told that both these people who clearly have nothing better to do than to launch personal attacks, have come on and launched into yet another tirade and downright pathetic attack on me and it has to end,FFS seriously im sick of these people doing this sh*t enough is enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement