Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Dempsey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

Everyone of his albums truly are powerful pieces of work, which showcase perfectly his gift for searing social commentary about contemporary Dublin, sung in a curious fusion of folk and reggae that works far better in practice than it ever should in theory. An unashamed champion of the working classes, Dempsey's songs burn with a righteous anger -- but his equally keen sense of grace prevents them from descending into bitter rants. G'WAN THE DAMO!!
    He is an incredible talent.

I understand why some don't get him but imo he is the best singer and songwriter this country has producd.

Colony is an utterly immense song, and without throwing too many superlatives around, it is probably the greatest song I have ever heard.

A stunning musician, seeing him play live with his band is a real joy.

He's the people's champion.

+2
    flanum wrote: »
    hes folk!!

find the appropriate forum!

Boards.ie hasn't got a folk forum :confused:
    Is his new album worth getting? His version of ''The Rocky Road To Dublin'' is getting a lot of airplay on Ray D'Arcy lately, and I quite like it
    I don't mind him myself, although he can get a bit annoying after over-listening. No more than anyone else though

I think so, but then I'd say all his albums are worth getting LOL :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Bambi wrote: »
    he's christy dignum without the heroin and backing band.

Nonsense. For whatever reason some people are very quick to lump Damien Dempsey in with Aslan. Northside of Dublin? Check. Acoustic driven songs? Check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Rithim

I Bought his new trad album "Rocky Road"with the dubliners behind him.I have to say its not bad.I bought one of his non trad albums 2 years ago,and back then it was just ok.For some reason I was really waiting in anticipation of his new Trad album as I thought he might have the voice for it and the new cd confirms this.I am going to have to find that earlier cd and have another listen to it.I think its the pronounced Dublin accent that makes him a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Dare I say it, Dempsey's version of 'A rainy night in Soho' is better than the original!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Rockee wrote: »
    Nonsense. For whatever reason some people are very quick to lump Damien Dempsey in with Aslan. Northside of Dublin? Check. Acoustic driven songs? Check.

You just countered your own argument there :pac:

also: dire lyrics. Check

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

His new album is well worth getting; I am really enjoying and he must be commended for bringing trad music to a wider (and younger) audience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I went to see Damien playing with Christy Moore in the Tripod there last night. It was my first time to see him live, or have a serious listen to his work. I have to say, he was a lot better than I expected - in fact I've since bought his new album.

A Rainy Night In Soho is excellent, he sings it in a very delicate way which really suits the song. (The Pogues version is quite different, so I'm not going to comment on which I think is better!).

I previously would have quite disliked his singing accent. I considerd it too forced or something - I mean I have nothing wrong with people singing in their own accent, in fact I'd encourage it, but not when it's an over-the-top parody of an accent. However, last night, whether he's mellowed it a bit or I've just become used to it I found it quite easy on the ears. And I've come to realize that perhaps it's not forced at all...

So I'd have to agree with leaba and anyone else who says go to one of his gigs, then decide.
    You just countered your own argument there

also: dire lyrics. Check

No, I think you made his point for him. If you're saying that just being from the north of Dublin and having an acoustic style is critera enough to consider him and Aslan one and the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Jon wrote: »
    Dare I say it, Dempsey's version of 'A rainy night in Soho' is better than the original!

tut tut... disgracefull comment ;)

Personally I absolutely HATE Damien Dempsey... god when he sings 'one two tree four foiave'... a jaysus,.. it, it makes me weep.

No need to hate the guy over that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

lol yeah, hate is a strong word but he does really irritate me. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

He really irritates me. Never liked his music mainly because I could never really understand what the **** he was saying! But now I dont mind him so much after living in Dublin for a while I can understand it now. Still not a fan though and ouldnt really consider him Traditional or folk. More pop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

fitz0 wrote: »
    Still not a fan though and ouldnt really consider him Traditional or folk. More pop

Listen to his new album , The Rocky Road To Dublin, and see if you still think he's pop. He's done some really good cover's of songs like rocky road to dublin, hot asphalt, night visiting song and kelly from killan. Theres even a bit of trad irish music tied into them songs like the teetotaler and monaghan jig.

I would consider this album more of a crossover into traditional music froma pop artist than a traditional artist exploring his roots. I do like some of his songs, just not many of them. Rocky Road to Dublin is a good song but its getting way too muchairtime from Ray Darcy.

I appreciate that DD is getting this music out to a younger audience who would never have considered it before and I admire what hes doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Haven't heard his new stuff but his other albums seem more trad influenced than traditional, but still generally good. Maybe his new album goes more into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

He really irritates me. Never liked his music mainly because I could never really understand what the **** he was saying! But now I dont mind him so much after living in Dublin for a while I can understand it now. Still not a fan though and ouldnt really consider him Traditional or folk. More pop

Yeah Pop, good one. He's there with Westlife and Boyzone. What are you on about?

Every band and singer is there with Westlife and Boyzone in being classed as popular music. I dont consider him a traditional musician. Even with his new album Id say he's experimenting with traditional music. Perhaps I was too hasty to say he's not a folk musician. He is. But he fits into the pop category as well.
    "Folk music can also describe a particular kind of popular music which is based on traditional music" Taken straight from wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

"Folk music can also describe a particular kind of popular music which is based on traditional music" Taken straight from wikipedia

"Damien Dempsey is an Irish singer and songwriter who mixes traditional Irish folk stylism with contemporary lyrics to making social comment on the positive and negative aspects arising from Ireland's Celtic Tiger society."

Thats also taken from wikipedia.

I suppose we'll just have to keep our own differing opinions. Ill admit he is a folk singer but also a pop singer. However I dont count him as a traditional singer even though some do. End

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I shouldn't have raised this whole genre thing. I don't really give a sh1t about genres. I listen to Dempsey and I think he's brilliant, I don't care if people classify him as Trad or Folk, or Pop, or Death Metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PS Gamer

I think Damo is an absolute legend. When experienced live something magical happens. Saw him in Clonmel last Thursday. The atmosphere and energy was something else. Was at the Morrissey gig in Kilmainham last night and he sang a few lines from a Damo song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

From what I've heard, hes a fecking legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

I think he's legend too, saw him a few times, always a great gig.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I was never sure about him but his new stuff has impressed me so much I will pick up The Rocky Road when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Please die immediately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

This thread will be locked if people can not refrain from personal abuse.

Learn to discuss musical differences with manners! fh041205 warned.

I politely but vigourously disagree with the fact that The Pogues version of A Rainy Night In Soho is in any way inferior to this one. Despite the fact that Shane MacGowan wrote the song, Damien Dempsey has successfully managed to remove it completely of any life and feeling and instead fill it with an immense boredom. He is forever in the shadow of the artists whose glory he insists on leeching off. His version are passionless, drab and overwhelmingly insipid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Far more eloquent my dear fh041205. If everyone else could do the same my job would be a lot easier.

fh041205 wrote: »
    Please die immediately.

Interesting reaction to a different opinion ;)

Interesting reaction to a different opinion ;)

Sorry for the overreaction but i just think that statement is proposterous. The only original element he contributes to this song is his style of singing it, which IMO is just painfully heartless and devoid of any emotion. Not only did the pogues write the lyrics and the music but they performed it much better aswell.

• Advertisement

Sound, I respect your opinion on that, I just prefer Dempseys version.

Advertisement