Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Dempsey

Options
  • 05-06-2008 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

What are people's views on Damien Dempsey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

He is an incredible talent.

I understand why some don't get him but imo he is the best singer and songwriter this country has producd.

Colony is an utterly immense song, and without throwing too many superlatives around, it is probably the greatest song I have ever heard.

A stunning musician, seeing him play live with his band is a real joy.

He's the people's champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

^^^ Jeez a bit OTT

He's average at best. His voice goes through my head, mainly because of his pronunciation. I wouldn't say he's a good singer. He does write the odd decent song but 'best singer and songwriter this country has producd'? Lol gimme a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

He is an incredible talent.

I understand why some don't get him but imo he is the best singer and songwriter this country has producd.

Colony is an utterly immense song, and without throwing too many superlatives around, it is probably the greatest song I have ever heard.

A stunning musician, seeing him play live with his band is a real joy.

He's the people's champion.

+1 Damo's a legend, excellent songwriter, this generations Luke kelly or Christy Moore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

Ledgend :) .. yeah i can see also why some people don't like him but i think hes quality... He's definatly at his best when hes live. Saw him in Vicer st there in November quality stuff played for a good long time aswell you dont really get that alot nowadays at concerts/gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dempsey doesnt come within an asses roar of christy moore or luke kelly, He's an awful pastiche of both of them, and as for that "dublin" accent he sings with....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

jaysus...
    if I wanted to be shouted at relentlessly I'd get married!!

not for me I'm afraid...

g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Huge Fan here

It was not untiul I saw him live that I really got hooked, since then I have spent a small fortune following him around the country.

Please reserve judgement until you have seen this man live

He played the closing night of Electric Picnic last year and had the tent hopping and had to have the power cut in order to stop him playing

People complain about manufactured bands and artists, this man is the exact opposite - such an unbelievable piece of homegrown talent that we should be proud of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Damien is one of the most exciting and orignal artists this country has produced in the last 10 years.
    I haven't had the pleasure of seeing him live yet but his live CD is one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    ^^^ Jeez a bit OTT

He's average at best. His voice goes through my head, mainly because of his pronunciation. I wouldn't say he's a good singer. He does write the odd decent song but 'best singer and songwriter this country has producd'? Lol gimme a break.

His pronunciation? He's the only dublin singer that actual sings like he's from Dublin, where as the rest of them sing with that american accent, no that does my head in.

Damo is superb, you have to see him live to really appreciate his stuff. For the type of music he sings trad-ish/dublin he has a good variety of songs.

neil_hosey wrote: »
    His pronunciation? He's the only dublin singer that actual sings like he's from Dublin, where as the rest of them sing with that american accent, no that does my head in.

Damo is superb, you have to see him live to really appreciate his stuff. For the type of music he sings trad-ish/dublin he has a good variety of songs.

He doesnt sing like he's from dublin, he sings like he's putting on some weird overblown dublin/oirish accent. Love the way every lyrics a rhyming couplet that a 12 year old could come up with and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Tbh, i wouldnt really put him in the Trad genre at all, you wouldnt exactly expect someone to sing a Damien Dempsey song at a sesiun?

i think this should be moved to a pop forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Bambi wrote: »
    He doesnt sing like he's from dublin, he sings like he's putting on some weird overblown dublin/oirish accent. Love the way every lyrics a rhyming couplet that a 12 year old could come up with and all.
    +1.

Puts on the accent. Drive you crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Flanum - have you heard his latest album of trad/folk songs. Damo is a modern day balladeer - our generation's Luke Kelly.

i just listened/watched a few stuff of his on youtube.. pop tbh!
    although i actually know the flute player in his band (eamon de barra), but seriously, hes not trad, maybe folk, not trad! i wouldnt be expecting to see him on geantrai in between clips of seamus ennis and kilfenora ceili band.

hes folk!!

find the appropriate forum!

he aint folk either, he's christy dignum without the heroin and backing band.

Just for balance: I hate ceili bands. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

neil_hosey wrote: »

Exactly, like that wally from the Thrills, oohing and aahing like he was one of the original Beach Boys, so false :mad: Damo's all right in my book

am i on the wrong forum?? i thought this was the traditional irish music forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

He doesnt sing like he's from dublin, he sings like he's putting on some weird overblown dublin/oirish accent..

+2 The OTT accent and pronounciation drives me mad. He has a new album out and even hearing the ad makes me want to switch stations.
    Love the way every lyrics a rhyming couplet that a 12 year old could come up with and all.

Mary loves the grouse, hides the bottles round the house,
    She watches chat shows and the soaps, broken-hearted but she copes,
    Michael's out of work, feels he's sinking in the murk,
    He's unshaven and a mess, finds it hard some days to dress
    Stevie smashes the delf, 'cos he can't express himself,
    He's consumed by rage, like his father at his age,
    Rita's little child, has a lovely little smile,
    This means nothing to her father, because he's never even seen her.
    Joey's off the gear, he's been clean for half a year,
    He gets bored out of his mind, but he's tryin' to toe the line
    Maggie's in a chair, 'twas joyriding put her there,
    She puts the kettle on the boil, and she's always got a smile

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I was never a huge fan of Damien Dempsey to be honest... I saw him live in a small venue in Philadelphia a few months ago and I have to say he was excellent live...

A great performer and definitely someone who needs to be experienced live to be properly appreciated I think.

Bought the Rocky Road album yesterday and I have to say I really like it. Some classic Irish song on there, which are beautifully arranged... I think this album will go down as a classic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I love Damien Dempsey, although I can understand why other people don't. His voice is a bit marmite-ish, and it's not going to leave too many people on the fence.

Accent and accentuations aside, I think his voice is unique. He isn't note perfect, but does have some vocal gymnastics that are very unusual for a singer of his genre (or any genre outside of a small few e.g. R & B). I wish I could achieve some of those tricks with my voice.

As for his accent, I think people are being very unfair to Dempsey on this thread. He stamps his own exaggerations and emphasis on syllables and words. Firstly, so what? Secondly, strip them away and it is undeniably a working-class Dublin accent, and for people here to suggest it isn't is crazy.

Like I said, I understand how his voice and style divide people, but to hone criticism specifically on his accent, when he is one of the only popular artists in Ireland today singing in his own accent, is galling. It goes to show how desensitised and conditioned people are to the generic, pseudo-Americana accent that 90% of English-speaking artists sing in. In a just world, Damien would be lauded (or at least left alone) for having the guts to sing in an accent representing where he is from (most people don't), and it would be the Americana sheep who would be criticised instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

Great songwriter, Sh!te Singer...Just like Bob Dylan.

this is a waste of a thread! does this guy sing traditional irish songs? why are we talking about him on the traditional irish forum??

Time to put this thread to bed!!

Damien (non irish traditional guff):

Irish traditional singing:

stop with the "damien dempsey" on the traditional irish music forum please!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Flanum warned for consantly going off topic and reposting.

Remember to stay on topic and dont insult other posters just because you dont agree with their opinion.

This thread can stay here. As the title of the forum says:
    Traditional
    Traditional, Irish and folk music.
    Anyone else posting entirely off topic will also be warned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Flanum warned for consantly going off topic and reposting.

Remember to stay on topic and dont insult other posters just because you dont agree with their opinion.

This thread can stay here. As the title of the forum says:
    Traditional
    Traditional, Irish and folk music.
    Anyone else posting entirely off topic will also be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Gina Brel

Damien is feckin' great in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Im a big fan of Dempey.
    For those that think his accent is put on, I can tell you it's not!
    I went to school with him, we palled around at lunch time and was as Dublin as could be, he sounds exactly the way he does now as when he did then. Even in school he was a deep kind of fella.
    His new album is fantastic, he has to be seen live to appreciate his music fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

I'm also a huge fan. I think he's at his best on his own with the guitar or accompanied by the flute.

I know a bunch of people who decided they didn't like him and I've convinced them on various occasions to go to a gig. Every one of them now has multiple Damien Dempsey CDs in their collection.

Damien is who he is, and doesn't put anything on. If you can't relate it doesn't mean its put on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

I forgot to recommend Damien's performace in Dingle for Other Voices which is available on the RTE web site.

With regard to the comment on his simple lyrics, I think intelluctualism does not equal wisdom. I think there's a lot of wisdom and morality in his lyrics and a lot of his songs strike a chord with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Is his new album worth getting? His version of ''The Rocky Road To Dublin'' is getting a lot of airplay on Ray D'Arcy lately, and I quite like it
    I don't mind him myself, although he can get a bit annoying after over-listening. No more than anyone else though

Advertisement