Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I think you are overestimating the importance and popularity of MMA in comparison to soccer. In particular Manchester united. I don’t know how many people in the US would know McGregor either.

WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,358 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Nal wrote: »
    Have you any idea how famous he is in America?! :confused:

Also "McTapper". Cringe.

Not a massive fan of McGregor btw but lets stick to the facts here.

And here is the man he stole the walk from.

Maybe there are doing the Mr McMahon strut he is more famous them Conor.

tenor.gif
    HealthyElderlyChrysomelid-small.gif

tenor.gif

but McGregor did add in a sprig of skanger pigeon-walk to the method of movement to be fair to him.

Yeah big Vince fan but he hasnt been on TV for years. Its "The McGregor walk" in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Absolutely loathe the guy but ffs cmon, he is clearly the most universally well known (ie: famous) Irish sports star.

This isn't a contest of who better deserves to be recognised and for what or an endorsement of the guy, it's just observing that he is more widely known amongst sports fans and everyday people than any other individual sports star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would you stop...

Katie Taylor
    Pádraig Harrington
    Brian O'Driscoll
    Roy Keane
    Robbie kean
    Sean Kelly
    Sonia O'Sullivan

Mc Gregor is infinitely more well known world wide than any of them. Easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Yeah big Vince fan but he hasnt been on TV for years. Its "The McGregor walk" in the US.

Vince was on TV a couple of weeks ago.

Exactly. Huge stadiums.

Imagine the turn out if mctapper tried to do a stadium tour of America!!

McGregor's one of the biggest box office draws they've ever had. Seriously. Get a grip.

Vince was on TV a couple of weeks ago.

I think he was on last night but hes not a big character anymore and certainly isn't doing the Vince strut like in the 90s.

I think he was on last night but hes not a big character anymore and certainly isn't doing the Vince strut like in the 90s.

Haven't watched smackdown yet 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

I think you are overestimating the importance and popularity of MMA in comparison to soccer. In particular Manchester united. I don’t know how many people in the US would know McGregor either.

Really?

He was consistently all over ESPN and Fox. He has appeared numerous times on the likes of Jimmy Fallon and Conan O'Brien.

He has NFL & NHL players copying the billionaire strut (first done by Vince McMahon, brought into the mainstream by Conor) which again would be broadcasted to millions in the US.

The whole point of Conor as a success story is that he has crossed from MMA related newsfeeds into the mainstream. It's really dismissive & ignorant to think otherwise.

Yeah big Vince fan but he hasnt been on TV for years.

Literally on TV last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Also Rory mcilroy would be far more famous than mcgregor and If we are including the entire island the king of them all in terms of worldwide fame was George Best.

Mctapper has a long long long way to go to reach those heights. Spoiler-he never will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Will his fame have any longevity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Naos wrote: »
    Really?

He was consistently all over ESPN and Fox. He has appeared numerous times on the likes of Jimmy Fallon and Conan O'Brien.

He has NFL & NHL players copying the billionaire strut (first done by Vince McMahon, brought into the mainstream by Conor) which again would be broadcasted to millions in the US.

The whole point of Conor as a success story is that he has crossed from MMA related newsfeeds into the mainstream. It's really dismissive & ignorant to think otherwise.

Don't mean to be dismissive, my opinion is that soccer is more popular internationally. Don't mean anything against McGregor at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Mctapper has a long long long way to go to reach those heights. Spoiler-he never will

As soon as I see the word Mctapper my eyes roll into the back of my head confirming your age as at most 12

Also Rory mcilroy would be far more famous than mcgregor and If we are including the entire island the king of them all in terms of worldwide fame was George Best.

George best wouldn't even come close to mcgregor. He was famous in the 60s and 70s, there was no worldwide appeal to football like their is nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭dk1982

sexmag wrote: »
    As soon as I see the word Mctapper my eyes roll into the back of my head confirming your age as at most 12

Agreed. One of the cringiest things Ive ever seen on Boards. And I can't stand Mcgregor BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 37,644 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It'd be tight between Conor and Rory for worldwide notoriety. I'd be of the opinion that Rory might be slightly ahead of him.
    He is huge though, probably top 20 in the US along with Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

George best wouldn't even come close to mcgregor. He was famous in the 60s and 70s, there was no worldwide appeal to football like their is nowadays

He also stole a liver and condemned someone to death by depriving them of the doner liver he destroyed with drink

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    He also stole a liver and condemned someone to death by depriving them of the doner like he destroyed with drink

While beating multiple women.

There certainly was. Best was known from Dublin to Vladivostok and Shanghai to Cape Town at the height of his fame at the European Cup success

A famous doctor was amazed that kalahari Tribesmen knew about him in the late 60s

There is an international airport named after him

He was known as “el Beatle” such was his fame worldwide

McTapper is nowhere near

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

People think Conor is more known than he actually is. I know a lot of Irish people who wouldnt have an iota who he is. And that is just Irish people. Mma is nowhere near as big globally as a lot of the other sports mentioned. Rugby and their world player of the year is very much known by a greater amount of people than a wwe wanna be star. A lot of people switch off or dont pay attention to news that may as well be talking about john cena in a lot peoples minds. Mcgregor is huge in the mma world but wouldnt even be on the radar of most american sports fans. A huge fish in a small puddle.

Its laughable that anyone could think that a ufc star is better know than world rugby player of the year and the former captain of the best know football side of the modern era. Keane is global to a huge scale where conor is huge to a niche market.

Dont confuse what you think with what is reality

• Registered Users Posts: 37,644 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There certainly was. Best was known from Dublin to Vladivostok and Shanghai to Cape Town at the height of his fame at the European Cup success.
    He was known as el beatle such was his fame worldwide
    George Best was not well know in the US at any stage, even when he played soccer over there.
    Great guy, I'm a huge fan but let's not delude ourselves here.
    McTapper is nowhere near
    This nickname you've come up with for McGregor is childish. If you keep using it then you'll find yourself on ignore with a lot of people and you'll notice that people stop responding to you in a lot of threads.
    Just so you know I'd be a much bigger fan of George Best than I would be of Conor McGregor.

There certainly was. Best was known from Dublin to Vladivostok and Shanghai to Cape Town at the height of his fame at the European Cup success

A famous doctor was amazed that kalahari Tribesmen knew about him in the late 60s

He was known as “el Beatle” such was his fame worldwide

McTapper is nowhere near

What a load of utter utter bollocks.

• Site Banned Posts: 101 ✭✭Sabrebo

tenor.gif
    HealthyElderlyChrysomelid-small.gif

That's a different walk, Mcgregor stole the scanger walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭dk1982

Mr.H wrote: »
    People think Conor is more known than he actually is. I know a lot of Irish people who wouldnt have an iota who he is. And that is just Irish people. Mma is nowhere near as big globally as a lot of the other sports mentioned. Rugby and their world player of the year is very much known by a greater amount of people than a wwe wanna be star. A lot of people switch off or dont pay attention to news that may as well be talking about john cena in a lot peoples minds. Mcgregor is huge in the mma world but wouldnt even be on the radar of most american sports fans. A huge fish in a small puddle.

Its laughable that anyone could think that a ufc star is better know than world rugby player of the year and the former captain of the best know football side of the modern era. Keane is global to a huge scale where conor is huge to a niche market.

Dont confuse what you think with what is reality

You're talking absolute hoop. Plus you literally don't know a lot of Irish people who don't know who he is unless those people are blind and deaf

eagle eye wrote: »
    George Best was not well know in the US at any stage, even when he played soccer over there.
    Great guy, I'm a huge fan but let's not delude ourselves here.

This nickname you've come up with for McGregor is childish. If you keep using it then you'll find yourself on ignore with a lot of people and you'll notice that people stop responding to you in a lot of threads.
    Just so you know I'd be a much bigger fan of George Best than I would be of Conor McGregor.

Ehhh I didn’t come up with the nickname

Mctapper is commonly used for him - google it

Sabrebo wrote: »
    That's a different walk, Mcgregor stole the scanger walk.

That originally was ric flairs walk anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mctapper

McTapper :D

It has a ring to it, I like it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement