Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 01:34   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17,741
See you Jimmy! Aye you, ya bawbag!!

Why are all the greatest rock bands Scottish?

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .

Why are they so far ahead of us with class bands when we ruled their asses for thousands of years? It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?
The Backwards Man is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-03-2016, 01:35   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Backwards Man View Post
It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?
The coronas
WarZ is offline  
03-03-2016, 01:35   #3
Jim Bob Scratcher
Registered User
 
Jim Bob Scratcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,038
I've never heard of any those bands, except for simple minds, and even they have about 2 good songs at best..
Jim Bob Scratcher is offline  
03-03-2016, 01:37   #4
foxy farmer
Registered User
 
foxy farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,584
You forgot Big Country. Pure class.
foxy farmer is offline  
03-03-2016, 01:39   #5
siblers
Registered User
 
siblers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 6,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Backwards Man View Post
Why are all the greatest rock bands Scottish?

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .

Why are they so far ahead of us with class bands when we ruled their asses for thousands of years? It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?
One could also argue that those bands are absolute ****e
siblers is offline  
Advertisement
03-03-2016, 01:40   #6
osarusan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,869
Don't forget Steelers Wheel.

Although they really shouldn't be stuck in the middle with...that lot.

Last edited by osarusan; 03-03-2016 at 01:41. Reason: Obligatory pun
osarusan is offline  
03-03-2016, 01:40   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob Scratcher View Post
I've never heard of any those bands, except for simple minds, and even they have about 2 good songs at best..
Are you 12?

Random fact, a far out cousin of mine played bass with Simple Minds until 1978. Before they became famous. Stupid bastard.
The Backwards Man is offline  
03-03-2016, 01:41   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
Steelers Wheel too.
That's Gerry Rafferty though. Not a band. A legend
The Backwards Man is offline  
03-03-2016, 01:43   #9
Jim Bob Scratcher
Registered User
 
Jim Bob Scratcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Backwards Man View Post
Are you 12?

Random fact, a far out cousin of mine played bass with Simple Minds until 1978. Before they became famous. Stupid bastard.
Are you 60 ?
Jim Bob Scratcher is offline  
Advertisement
03-03-2016, 01:44   #10
KingMonkey
Registered User
 
KingMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 103
you consider wet wet wet to be a great rock band
KingMonkey is offline  
03-03-2016, 01:47   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMonkey View Post
you consider wet wet wet to be a great rock band
They're popular, give them their dues!

I consider Texas to be a great rock band but I didn't include them in my OP because people think I'm weird for that opinion,
The Backwards Man is offline  
Thanks from:
03-03-2016, 01:52   #12
Ruu
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,552
Cocteau Twins as well.
Ruu is offline  
03-03-2016, 01:55   #13
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu View Post
Cocteau Twins as well.
Trust Ruu to think of the cock!
The Backwards Man is offline  
Thanks from:
03-03-2016, 01:56   #14
Hunky Monster
Registered User
 
Hunky Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 10,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Backwards Man View Post
Why are all the greatest rock bands Scottish?

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .
Jesus you've got terrible music taste.
Hunky Monster is offline  
03-03-2016, 02:00   #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 592
I don't know Nazareth and I really dislike a lot of those late 80s acts like Deacon Blue, Del Amitri and Wet Wet Wet, but I love Primal Scream and The Jesus And Mary Chain and Cocteaus. Simple Minds are popular but under appreciated critically - they did some amazing stuff.

I only know two songs by The Proclaimers - the less said about 500 Miles the better, but Letter To America is good.

Also, Teenage Fanclub, The Blue Nile, Altered Images, Belle & Sebastian - Scotland rocks!
Ice Maiden is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet