Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

See you Jimmy! Aye you, ya bawbag!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

Texas might not be cool but they have some very catchy pop songs. Halo, Summer Sun, Black Eyed Boy, I Don't Want A Lover and Inner Smile are great I think. Although the rest that I've heard are pretty bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

The Frames. Better than anything with a guitar that ever came out of Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

50 replys in and no mention of prefab sprout

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why are all the greatest rock bands Scottish?

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .

Why are they so far ahead of us with class bands when we ruled their asses for thousands of years? It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?

Have you been drinking on a school night?
    Are you 60 ? :P

He's old, alone, with just his wee lucky for company, and not much to entertain himself with in the wilds of Donegal.
    They're popular, give them their dues!:pac:

I consider Texas to be a great rock band but I didn't include them in my OP because people think I'm weird for that opinion,:)

Texas are better than half your original list.

Wet Wet Wet ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The Humblebums (Gerry Rafferty and Billy Connolly) had some very nice tunes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I disagree.

When it comes to music we have Scotland well and truly trumped.

Food on the other hand, its easy to see who had the famine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

50 replys in and no mention of prefab sprout

i dont think they're scottish.

according to wiki newcastle based. deffo not scots. but anyway who gives a hoot

somefeen wrote: »
    I disagree.

When it comes to music we have Scotland well and truly trumped.

Food on the other hand, its easy to see who had the famine.
    I don't get why people say food is terrible in Ireland - there are countless great restaurants!
    emo72 wrote: »
    Aye, they're English, from the very far north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

theres my new thing learnt for today

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »

according to wiki newcastle based. deffo not scots. but anyway who gives a hoot
    They seem Scottish too - they remind me of The Blue Nile, or a much better Deacon Blue. Plus their singer has a very Scottish sounding name.

Either way, Prefab Sprout are fecking brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .

Why are they so far ahead of us with class bands when we ruled their asses for thousands of years? It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?

It's true, it's true.

I feel sorry for them what can't see that Wet Wet Wet are great.

Ah well, their loss.

Skid X wrote: »
    It's true, it's true.

I feel sorry for them what can't see that Wet Wet Wet are great.

Ah well, their loss.
    Wishing I Was Lucky - great tune. After that, it went downhill in my opinion, and continued to do so for many years.

What's with the airbrushing of Texas?

They were dire. They started off with one catchy song "I Don't Want a Lover" in a lame album, and hawked it for a few years. About 10 years later they popped up again, but lo and behold they ditched the look and the sound, put a guna on the lead singer and started hawking breathy love songs that sold by the million but were the aural equivalent of wet toilet paper. It was music for Cold Feet fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Wouldn't agree that all the best bands are Scottish but lots of good ones, some mentioned here. My favourite would be Camera Obscura

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Please don't force me to remember Deacon Blue.

Ever.

• Advertisement

They were dire. They started off with one catchy song "I Don't Want a Lover" in a lame album, and hawked it for a few years. About 10 years later they popped up again, but lo and behold they ditched the look and the sound, put a guna on the lead singer and started hawking breathy love songs that sold by the million but were the aural equivalent of wet toilet paper. It was music for Cold Feet fans.
    That comeback song was abysmal, and I presume Marvin Gaye's estate got royalties for the "When I get that feeling" bit but I stand by my view that they had some very catchy songs outside of the bland ballads (the latter of which constituted most of their stuff for sure).

I once read a description of them, in their original incarnation, as being 'wretchedly airbrushed shit-kickers' which was pretty perfect.

Please don't force me to remember Deacon Blue.

Ever.

I'll say one thing for Deacon Blue. Saw them live, supporting Simple Minds - also saw Texas support SM too - and they had the whole place bouncing. Upbeat pop. But...lightweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They're all f**king ****e except the jesus and mary chain. Yeah Primal Scream are ****e lads.

You left out the Blue Nile and The Cocteau Twins too ya bag o pish

jooksavage wrote: »
    Mogwai, Franz Ferdinand, Teenage Fanclub, Jack Bruce, half of AC/DC, Biffy Clyro (if you're into them - I'm not)

Alright, ****e, ****e, Ledge bag, technically aussies, ****e

• Advertisement

Some of those bands are grand, but pirate metal is Scotland's best contribution to music.

Slave Raider and Running Wild did pirate metal long before pishstorm

And they were all ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Travis had their moment in the sun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Travis were shít, pal. You a Stereophonics fan as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

WarZ wrote: »
    The coronas
    Scotland would never produce a band as dire as them. Ireland's current rock scene is appalling compared with the Scots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

kneemos wrote: »
    Misery =creativity.

A link I've never accepted.

Post-war U.S. boom brought rock n' roll music to the world. Motown came from the prosperity of the car plants in Detroit.

When hard up with no income, rushing to the local instrument shop to get a bass and amp ain't top of the list for anyone. Nor is buying someone else's new LP for that matter.

Money may be the root of all evil. Sadly it has to be there at the root of music and indeed creativity too.

But then again, there are other miseries. Like my parents don't understand me misery...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Why does it always rain me?

Because you're a soppy pr1ck - that's why!

Edit: Not you, Fran Healy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

edbrez wrote: »
    Scotland would never produce a band as dire as them. Ireland's current rock scene is appalling compared with the Scots.

Maybe if your head is in the sand

and so on..........

The scene is thriving, tons of excellent bands out there if people would actually go see them rather than wait to be told what they should like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Surprised nobody's mentioned David Byrne yet. The Vaselines and The Exploited are two other good bands to come from Scotland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stiff Little Fingers
    The Undertones
    Gary Moore
    The Divine Comedy
    (Snow Patrol)

The Stunning
    An Emotional Fish - Celebrate
    The Blades
    The Boomtown Rats
    Bagatelle
    Microdisney

I remember buying 'the man who' back in 2000/01. The only four decent songs were the songs they brought out in the charts. Rest was dog shít.

• Advertisement

Stiff Little Fingers
    The Undertones
    Gary Moore
    The Divine Comedy
    (Snow Patrol)

The Stunning
    An Emotional Fish - Celebrate
    The Blades
    The Boomtown Rats
    Bagatelle
    Microdisney

We'd be here all night if we started naming great irish bands

"Best little country in the world to make music in"

Travis were shít, pal. You a Stereophonics fan as well?

Agree on Travis but the first two Stereophonics albums were decent. Kelly Jones has quite a voice too.

When they hit America for for the third album thats when it all went pete tong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Ireland wins this hands down.

We had a band from Sligo, I think, called Those Nervous Animals - they had a song about one of their old teachers, titled Sliding Up Seamus.

Follow that you tartan wearing, deep-fried mars bar eating, Irn Bru drinking pole tossers.

Oh, and btw, WE invented whiskey.

Don't forget Orange Juice, The Associates and Altered Images as well.
    Suas11 wrote: »
    Surprised nobody's mentioned David Byrne yet..

Moved across the water as a small kid.

Don't forget Orange Juice, The Associates and Altered Images as well.
    Mentioned the third one, but annoyed at myself for forgetting the first two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Ireland wins this hands down.
    Here's a list of well known bands from Scotland:

Arab Strap
    The Associates
    Belle and Sebastian
    Biffy Clyro
    Big Country
    Cosmic Rough Riders
    Dawn of the Replicants
    Deacon Blue
    Del Amitri
    18 Wheeler
    El Presidente
    Goodbye Mr. Mackenzie
    Hipsway
    Love and Money
    Mogwai
    Octopus
    Orange Juice
    The Pastels
    Runrig
    ****disco
    Skids
    Speedway
    The Supernaturals
    Teenage Fanclub
    Texas
    Travis
    The Vaselines
    The View
    The Waterboys
    The Zephyrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

^ Didn't want to do this, but as this has descended into who can post the longest list of music acts from their country, I'm reaching for the nuclear option.

Big Tom And The Mainliners.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Remind us, how many times has Scotland won Eurovision ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭PJD

Bay city rollers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Ice Maiden wrote: »
    I don't get why people say food is terrible in Ireland - there are countless great restaurants!

There is but we don't really have a cuisine like the Scottish though.

Haggis, Battered Mars bars, Stovies, Cullen Skink, tattie scones etc

Versus

Tripe, Drisheen, Crewbeens.

Thats said having lived there for 6 years the quality of food is higher here just not distinct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

You forgot Big Country. Pure class.

Give the thread an oul bump so i can put this up. Stuart Adamson in his hey day. Gifted. Gone before his time.
    https://youtu.be/K939gnROUPQ

every single one of those bands bar the J&MC are pish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Rezillos kicked ass in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Actually think Travis were pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

But Simple Minds were outstanding. Not the stadium thumping post 85 political stuff, but the more synth and dance output prior to then. Theme for Great Cities is one of the greatest tracks ever...

https://vimeo.com/11682017

There's some great stuff on the early Simple Minds albums. It's a shame they continued making music after the mid 1980s because it's pish in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Missed the Sensational Alex Harvey Band

There's some great stuff on the early Simple Minds albums. It's a shame they continued making music after the mid 1980s because it's pish in comparison.

Yep, Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call, New Gold Dream, Sparkle in the Rain..all excellent. Liked Once Upon a Time and Street Fighting Years, but they had crossed over into anthemic stadium busting stuff by then and Mick McNeill's influence was waning. Real Life was okay, Good News From the Next World was awful, never bothered buying anything by them after that, though did like the odd effort like Cry.

Now, when I think of Scottish music, I think of Boards of Canada.

Advertisement