Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

20silkcut wrote: »
    One thing I have vowed to myself is never look up grinder or welder accidents etc on the internet.

Somebody sent me a WhatsApp of a poor guy getting pulled into a lathe. Jesus I can’t be seeing this stuff.

As for grinders I had a red hot chip of metal straight in the eye from not wearing goggles. Major panic to have it removed in hospital. I was so lucky not to loose the sight in my eye and had a scar visible on the eyeball for about ten years afterwards. Very painful and very scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

_Brian wrote: »
    Somebody sent me a WhatsApp of a poor guy getting pulled into a lathe. Jesus I can’t be seeing this stuff.

As for grinders I had a red hot chip of metal straight in the eye from not wearing goggles. Major panic to have it removed in hospital. I was so lucky not to loose the sight in my eye and had a scar visible on the eyeball for about ten years afterwards. Very painful and very scary.

That lathe incident was horrific!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reusing milking gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

A new one is the same reusable mask worn until its manky dirty

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    A new one is the same reusable mask worn until its manky dirty

With a hole in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That lathe incident was horrific!

You can’t unsee things like that

whelan2 wrote: »
    Reusing milking gloves.

Ooooh! Look at you Mrs moneybags!
    ;)

The auld lad did a new one the other day
    Opening bales with a tenon saw!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

_Brian wrote: »

I have become much more eye protection aware.

Had another close miss last week when a piece of barbed wire that I was tying snapped and flew. Hit me in face and I escaped.

Heed the warning. Safety glass now part of the fencing kit for tensioning wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

My old lad can’t mind a knife. He is forever with old blunt blades of old mowers. Hardship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

893bet wrote: »
    My old lad can’t mind a knife. He is forever with old blunt blades of old mowers. Hardship.

Seen that all too often. Total rooting, taking 5 min to cut a bit of plastic.
    I use a spring loaded Stanley blade, I.e. the blade retracts .
    I try to deter people from d Stanley blade though....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats wrong with a stanley knife

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I did the very same thing yesterday evening. I couldn't find the stanley knife and my pocket knife was in a different pair of trousers. I found a tenon saw in the back of the jeep and it worked perfectly :)

One slip and its fairly serious. A tight corner , over reaching or getting a fright from a cow/ bull at the barrier ....
    A new Stanley blade , u may not even feel the cut.
    Plenty stories of bad injuries , but worse nerve damage from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

One slip and its fairly serious. A tight corner , over reaching or getting a fright from a cow/ bull at the barrier ....
    A new Stanley blade , u may not even feel the cut.
    Plenty stories of bad injuries , but worse nerve damage from them.

That's not the knives fault. You shouldn't be using a knife like that.
    A sharp normal knife is just as sharp as a stanley blade if not sharper.

Non retractable ones are banned on many sites, with good reason, you can do huge damage quickly by accident. Self retracting options are less likely to do damage.
    That's not the knives fault. You shouldn't be using a knife like that............

Most accidents are caused when someone does something they shouldn't do.

Ooooh! Look at you Mrs moneybags!
    ;)

Ah come on now. Covered in crap from one milking and then reuse them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Augeo wrote: »
    Non retractable ones are banned on many sites, with good reason, you can do huge damage quickly by accident. Self retracting options are less likely to do damage.

Most accidents are caused when someone does something they shouldn't do.

I've often had a retractable stanley knife open in my pocket to expose the blade. Could do serious damage down there. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

There's also the piece of old cutlery or a sharp stone on tilled ground which I on occasion had to use.

Cutting twine or plastic pallet straps with a saw can be a very slow job. :D

I never said it was the knives fault. Its not a chainsaws fault if it cuts someone either !!! I feed at 5 barriers at all sides of my yard. I am not putting an "normal" knife in my pocket, and go walking around. d yard was fine and slippery this morning at 6am, n d dark.
    There is nothing to cut plastic and net from hay like a Stanley blade, I not saying it d best or safest, but its what I use. I wont let my daughter use it for e.g. I have a few edged mower blades in d tractor for her. !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I never said it was the knives fault. Its not a chainsaws fault if it cuts someone either !!! I feed at 5 barriers at all sides of my yard. I am not putting an "normal" knife in my pocket, and go walking around. d yard was fine and slippery this morning at 6am, n d dark.
    There is nothing to cut plastic and net from hay like a Stanley blade, I not saying it d best or safest, but its what I use. I wont let my daughter use it for e.g. I have a few edged mower blades in d tractor for her. !!

Why not get a pocket knife?. Never have nay issue with using one once i give it a sharpen every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Reusing milking gloves.

We are not milking cows here. but they blooming well aren't single use here unless they've sprung a leak, disinfectant wash, and a rub all over of a surgical spirit wipe when injecting animals.

893bet wrote: »
    I have become much more eye protection aware.

Had another close miss last week when a piece of barbed wire that I was tying snapped and flew. Hit me in face and I escaped.

Heed the warning. Safety glass now part of the fencing kit for tensioning wire.

even without tension that barbed wire seems to have a life of it's own waiting to spring back and slap you in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

even without tension that barbed wire seems to have a life of it's own waiting to spring back and slap you in the face.

Always towards the face, never away.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Why not get a pocket knife?. Never have nay issue with using one once i give it a sharpen every so often.

I have one,not a bad one either, but the locking mechanism didn't work once, it allowed the blade close in on my fingers, no injury at all , but it would have been a different story , with a bit more force and if it was edged

NcdJd wrote: »
    There's also the piece of old cutlery or a sharp stone on tilled ground which I on occasion had to use.

Cutting twine or plastic pallet straps with a saw can be a very slow job. :D
    A bit of newly broken roof slate off the old shed was my back up knife for many years - as sharp as a stanley blade.

Base price wrote: »
    A bit of newly broken roof slate off the old shed was my back up knife for many years - as sharp as a stanley blade.

Even a stone sharpened off a concrete wall

Base price wrote: »

Rolling out 9 strand el fence wire I've had to resort to banging it between 2 stones to split it, when nothing else was to hand. Works a treat.

Even a stone sharpened off a concrete wall
    We reuse disposable gloves here all the time. It's only when one gets torn is it thrown away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

worked with a butcher for years.

He always always said that you would cut yourself quicker with a blunt knife compared to a sharp one as your forcing the blade and more chance of it slipping.

Only use the yellow Stanley fatmax knives here. blade retracts and folds in half and easy to spot or locate .

Advertisement