Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I would recommend the mods simply keep this thread open for Thursday in to Friday for any snow potential.

Happy to add to OP...

It's still the "Greenland Express" - albeit a Dart rather than a Commuter train. ;)

Change of title should do it? Keep it all in the one place...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I would recommend the mods simply keep this thread open for Thursday in to Friday for any snow potential.

It's still the "Greenland Express" - albeit a Dart rather than a Commuter train. ;)

Change of title should do it? Keep it all in the one place...:)

So have a second thread for Thursday's snow??.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's hard to keep track of anything in these huge threads.

It's bad enough that it's huge but to cover a second event too? Let's close this sure and open a new one, Mod willing ;)

So have a second thread for Thursday's snow??.

I'm referring to Thursday afternoon - Friday evening. Not the frontal event. That's covered already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

There’s already a seperate thread for the frontal ‘event’ here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057830670
    We can tweak the title of that one to reflect the potential for Thursday/Friday afternoon. 3 seperate snow threads covering such a short time would be too confusing!

I’ll leave this one open for a while longer so that people can post further comments/images/reports etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

I Mod willing ;)

lol:)

Lumi wrote: »
    Mod Note

There’s already a seperate thread for the frontal ‘event’ here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057830670
    We can tweak the title of that one to reflect the potential for Thursday/Friday afternoon. 3 seperate snow threads covering such a short time would be too confusing!

I’ll leave this one open for a while longer so that people can post further comments/images/reports etc

I'm trying to save the bother of 3 threads.

If it's preferable to mix it with the other thread that's fine. Happy to update the OP. A mod will have to post it though as I can't edit the OP.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Boolavogue, Co. Wexford

E4RS3VT.png

Unsure where this one is from

k494Uc8.png

Wicklow

y99dFdu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I'm trying to save the bother of 3 threads.

If it's preferable to mix it with the other thread that's fine. Happy to update the OP. A mod will have to post it though as I can't edit the OP.:pac:

not sure there's much chance of widespread snow Thursday or Friday, maybe snow weak enough snow Showers for NW,West on Friday. Thursday temps during the day look too high for any settling snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think this thread should stay open for today anyway. Thaw ongoing here and gaining strength. Still about 3 or 4cm on the ground here but I don't think there will be much left by this evening. All roads around here are clear. I understand that driving conditions earlier this morning where quite difficult. I don't think we will see much more snow from this, but then again I really did not expect yesterday evening to unfold the way it did, so anythings possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Milford Co armagh 16/01/18IMAG10260_zpsrjp1aebh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Dublin airport got a right lashing last night and this morning.

7/8 cm of lying snow and lots of flights diverted to Liverpool, Shannon and Cork.

Still very cold in Dublin but the snow has all melted here in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Probably not so stunning pictures compare to the ones I had a real pleasure to see here before, but, well...

All the photos shoot from my house, I couldn't get out on that moment yesterday, sorry for that. :o

Mayo/Roscommon border yesterday afternoon heavy snowfalls:

438972.jpg

438973.jpg

438974.jpg

Rear garden:

438975.jpg

Some interestingly looking clouds:

438976.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

7/8 cm of lying snow and lots of flights diverted to Liverpool, Shannon and Cork.

No flights to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Now that's a proper yellow warning from N.I

438977.JPG

Edit: This should probably be in the other thread, snow blindness, I didn't see it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Confused now lads. Where do we post about (small) chance of widespread snow showers on Thursday afternoon & evening/Friday morning? Different from frontal snow event tonight many hundred miles north of me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Confused now lads. Where do we post about (small) chance of widespread snow showers on Thursday afternoon & evening/Friday morning? Different from frontal snow event tonight many hundred miles north of me.....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057771366

If something more interesting is on the cards, I'm sure a new thread will pop up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

7/8mm not cm?
    Was this not discussed earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

sparrowcar wrote: »
    7/8mm not cm?
    Was this not discussed earlier?

7 cm.....you don't close an airport or have snow ploughs out for 7 mm!!!!

Look at the video. There were blizzards in.many parts of Dublin.last night and early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I don't live all that far from Dublin Airport and there was no really measurable snow here, no more than a few mm., maybe a cm on the car roof. It's nearly all gone now, and it's raining. The temperature's 4.8C, DP 2.0C.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It was 7mm.

Imm or snow or ice can close an airport....aircraft don't deal well with it (braking action)!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Look at the video. There were blizzards in.many parts of Dublin.last night and early this morning.

GL said 7mm himself earlier. In fact he corrected himself and said it was 7mm.
    It was not 7cms lying there at any stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

With airports its usually not the snow quantity thats an issue at all, russia and canada get feet upon feet of fluffy dry snow and airports cope fine. Its the borderline 0-1C temps here with snow that causes constant thawing/freezing is very hard to keep airports open in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Max reported at the airport was 1 cm of lying wet snow. 7 mm was reported on the runway. Wet snow is a lot more slippy than dry snow. Friction coefficient was measured at only 11% at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Stay away form the road between Glencree and Sallys Gap Junction. Its an absolute Ice skating rink.

j08zdk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

wakka12 wrote: »
    With airports its usually not the snow quantity thats an issue at all, russia and canada get feet upon feet of fluffy dry snow and airports cope fine. Its the borderline 0-1C temps here with snow that causes constant thawing/freezing is very hard to keep airports open in

Not so much that but November to April DME for example would have a full time snow and ice clearance team working daily

They’d be clearing snow probably weekly if not daily at other icy airports

That experience rhythm and routine is impossible at DUB,so no comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Yes you do and yes they did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement