Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Den on RTE TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It's a Rumour

From the Rumour Room?! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

From the Rumour Room?! :p
    Katie and Jarlath are spreading them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Same stuff, different package. As long as Mary "well hello thar, boyes and guurls" Kingston isn't doing it.

I notice they've got RTEjr fun under sixes and TRTE for teenagers, are they ignoring kids in between then?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

The fcuking Rumour Room?! What kid can even manage to say that properly?! And TRTE and RTEjr, they even look horrible written down!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

coyle wrote: »
    The fcuking Rumour Room?! What kid can even manage to say that properly?! And TRTE and RTEjr, they even look horrible written down!
    ''The Womber Womb''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

This thread has brought back some very happy memories. I'd forgotten that Ray used to fight Ted. I've been laughing away and trying to explain the den to my kiwi OH but you really had to grow up with it.

I remember once Socky ran away because Dustin any Ray were mean to him and me and my friend wrote a letter telling them off! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

As far as i know.

Dustin and socky are John and Joe Morrison.

and Zig and Zag, Podge and Rodge are same voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

You know when you look at repeats of old kids tv shows you used to watch and in retrospect you realise they were rubbish?
    After watching videos of the Den on YouTube, it was fantastic; so witty and fun- there was a great freedom to what they could do and say and it appealed to all ages, ala the Simpsons in their prime. RTE get criticised alot, rightly so most of the time, but when they get things right, they get them spot-on.
    Stuff like Podge saying that Peig Sayers actually had 75 children and Dustin taking the p1ss out of everyone were amazing- but RTE has gone the way of BBC now, full of disclaimers and afraid to offend anyone.
    Kids are too nannied these days, transported to and from school in SUV spaceships, everything timetabled... they should be open to as much lunacy as possible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I loved the Den in the nineties, These kids nowadays don't know what their missing!:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhuNhGMiuWA&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

I was on the den:D highlight of my life:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Denzil2222 wrote: »
    Does anybody remember Francis boylon jr the final presenter of the normal den ?

God yeah! He had red hair didn't he. Really jolly chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i have to say i'm a tad emotional reading this thread.

i loved the den, christmas specials were so exciting, and the ted fights were brilliant. i always wanted a zuppy all my own too, it used to break my heart that i couldn't have him for real! :D

my daughter doesn't have anything remotely like the den to watch and i feel sad for her tbh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Grew up on the Den during the Ray Darcy and Damien Whatshisname years. Christmas and Halloween specials were gas, and Podge freaked the fcuk out of me. I remember Dustin going mental at Zig and Zag saying they betrayed the children of Ireland by going to Channel 4 , and Socky and Geri May... twas quality programming at one stage then it went to crap. Or maybe I'm just old and cynical now.

Does anyone remember Dustin's radio station and when he ran for election?! Ah, memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Omg I can't believe its finishing :( Absolutly loved it :D those were the days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Den was deadly. I remember it used to be on after Bosco, but I just loved it. No commercials or ads when shows were on too I think, so you were able to watch the episodes without interruptions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Me and a friend used to do a sort of comedy/punk fanzine thing years ago.

Running jokes that we had as well as chunks of material were appearing on The Den and we had to contact RTE and threaten them with legal action if they didnt stop ripping off our material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Degsy wrote: »
    Me and a friend used to do a sort of comedy/punk fanzine thing years ago.

Running jokes that we had as well as chunks of material were appearing on The Den and we had to contact RTE and threaten them with legal action if they didnt stop ripping off our material.

That's interesting. Did they stop? Do you remember what they took?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 caroiline

Can't believe its ending even though it got ****e over the past few years !!

Loved the days with ray n the gang .. !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ahh thats a shame i have fond memorys of that show drawing zig and zag back in the late 80's early 90's. But Frankly if it means less kids having dustin the nacker as a role model the better !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Ahh thats a shame i have fond memorys of that show drawing zig and zag back in the late 80's early 90's. But Frankly if it means less kids having dustin the nacker as a role model the better !
    Dustin has not been on the den for a couple of years, things went down hill for him after going to the eurovision song contest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

Zig and Zag were great, always used to talk about them in school. But Roland Rat was their first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

The worst thing about the den the last couple of years is that it showed nothing but repeats repeats and more repeats, sabrina the teenage witch for example was always being repeated for years, no wonder kids these days are only watching the digital stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

the day that zig and zag left the den i stoped watching it, they broke my heart when they went back to zog..

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Does anyone remember the Make Me Smile bit on the den?
    I was on it! Myself & my friend wrote in and got picked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I was reading about the replacement show today and apparently that blonde one will still be on it and they'll have new puppets.

I doubt it will be ever as good as the den was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i listen to Ray in work everyday and anytime he talks about the den or talks to zig and zag or dustin he gets right back into 'mammy ray' character!

awww i loved running home from school to watch the den, first tv addiction.

Reckon they'll make a best bits dvd?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This thread has nothing whatsoever to do with toast

Unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

"A Tijuana gypsy stole my personal stereo, no more REM or Elvis Costello!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Anyone remember the Yes/No gameshow. used to play the game all the time with my friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The rumour room sounds like a ****ty nightclub to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement