Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Den on RTE TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Ragga Zagga doing the Birthday Roller!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

kfallon wrote: »
    The Briggan, the Brack, the Noggin & the Fermot!

Fermot and the Noggin,
    Out in Ballybrack, doin abit a snoggin'
    Floggin, joggin, out in Sallynoggin,
    Go Onnnnnnnnnnn outa dat, who are ya coddin'!

:)

It was was first class kids tv. It had the same quality as films like Shrek. It was great because it worked for young kids on one level, teenagers on another. And a good few adults too. Id probably skyplus it if it was on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Denzil2222 wrote: »
    Does anybody remember Francis boylon jr the final presenter of the normal den ?

Somebody could cough and he'd have laughed non-stop for 35 minutes. He just laughed at everything and forced me to stop watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Aw man, I'd forgotten how brilliant The Den used to be. Reading back this thread is giving me loads of great memories. :D
    I only saw Zig and Zag for a small bit before they emigrated, which is a shame. But Dustin, Snotser, Zuppy and Ray were all brilliant. (Ray D'arcy annoys me a bit these days, but he was excellent when presenting the Den.) And the Christmas specials were fantastic.

Anyone remember the "Toy Grand Prix" where they used race different toys against each other? That inspired me to play for hours in the hall racing all my different trucks and dinkies against each other.

Such a shame it's ending but it seems to have died a long time ago tbh. Maybe it's just "rose tinted glasses" and all that, but kids TV really is shit these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Ah lads & lasses, this thread has me all teary-eyed and nostalgic. Now you know why school days were the best of your life, it wasn't the actual days in school it was the coming home after to The Den!

The weird thing is i used to still watch it a good bit in secondary school- and in college now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The Briggan, the Brack, the Noggin & the Fermot!

Ah no, productivity out the window until someone posts up that song.

I had it on tape, had the books and used to watch it every evening. On a serious nostalgia buzz reading this thread.

Edit: Good on Ronnie for getting involved in this, can't believe how young he looks here. Another legend gone. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Am I showing my age to say I go back to the days of the Rotten Apple Club?

If you didn't get your weekly dose of Mr. Comedy and Ronan Delight before Jo Maxi on a Friday then weekend ruined right there. What was Zigs name again on it....? Sunny something-or-other....?

Also.. "Hello... I'm like to speak to the Yogurt!"

I think we were blessed to grow up with that, didn't know what we had.
    When I see the cartoons they have now with the PC Brigade and Pokemon with bad guys throwing cards at each other or something instead of a good oul rumble with the Foot soldiers, I'm reminded how bad things have gotten these days.

Mmm turtles were brilliant. Tuesdays were my favourite. Batman, the decent series was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Pokemon at 3:15 was the best thing ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Aww :( I loved it when Ray Darcy was presenting and Damien. I loved when they did the Christmas specials they were brilliant, Podge was evil in one as far as I remember. The past couple of years it's been terrible though. Zig and Zag rule :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Agricola wrote: »
    Fermot and the Noggin,
    Out in Ballybrack, doin abit a snoggin'
    Floggin, joggin, out in Sallynoggin,
    Go Onnnnnnnnnnn outa dat, who are ya coddin'!

:)

It was was first class kids tv. It had the same quality as films like Shrek. It was great because it worked for young kids on one level, teenagers on another. And a good few adults too. Id probably skyplus it if it was on today.

I seem to remember it as "got me mott in the back and we're doin' a bitta snoggin' ". Entirely possible both were used at various times though

Turtles, Batman and James Bond junior were my favourites of the programmes they used to show! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I loved Dempsey's Den! I remember Ian telling them that if they didn't behave santa wouldn't give them any presents! Ray was a great presenter. The fights with Ted were legendary. I still use my Z Brothers mug.

It was always the thing to rush home after school to see if you could see the opening credits and then 3 hours of laughter. James Bond jr. was probably the best cartoon they had.

I loved all the alter egos such as Johnny Cool Space Detective! I still have their tape of Never Mind the Zogabonds - and this is my favourite song along with the Bellybutton Fluff song. Hahaha I still know all the words! It was educational - it's where I learned what kleptomaniac meant "someone who robs stuff. No no that's someone who loves Kleps. Someone who robs stuff is a robber".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This has been one of the better threads in AH in a while IMO!

I'm gonna go into the attic later and find my Zig and Zag teddy bears! Loved the Den and I used to impersonate Snotzer. Dustin is something else, the things he got away with saying on air at times was unbelievable, even if ya didn't recognise it back then!

I had a table I'd pull out in front of the TV and I'd do my homework while watching The Den.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

ahhh god I'm gonna miss those days - We're never gonna see the likes again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

mars bar wrote: »

I'm gonna go into the attic later and find my Zig and Zag teddy bears! .

Still have mine on my bed in my grandmothers house! :D

I loved the Den!! Growing up with Zig and Zag and Ted, and Bosco and Dustin and the whole gang was the best EVER! I tried to explain it once to a friend of mine from South Africa and he couldn't grasp the appeal...:eek: He missed out big time!

My favourite had to be evil Ted attacking Darcy! it was always so funny! or the Christmas special shown every year :D i bought the Zig and Zag Dvd recently and watched it and tbh i enjoyed it even now!

Some cartoons today aren't too bad but there are so many out there it's hard to find good ones.

nothing will replace the likes of Power Rangers (before they were turbo'd or whatever they are now), Teenage Mutent Hero Turtles, Transformers....etc...

although i do enjoy Blues clues, Recess, Phineas & Ferb and Spongebob Squarepants! :D

The Den hasn't been as good in years though :rolleyes: and i can see why they are scrapping it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A Christmas, back in the 90s. All the family around and I was watching The Den with the kids. Ray excuses himself and leaves the studio and next you hear footsteps going upstairs, and the sound of peeing - Dustin laughing his head off and saying, we left Ray's mike on.

I couldn't believe RTE was allowing this. Me and kids were breaking ourselves laughing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ah remembering Dustin's little green jacket. Those were the days and I always say when I see these modern day cartoons, we were lucky to have the Den. A great laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

This is briiliant, I can't understand your English accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

storm2811 wrote: »
    Can't believe that, even though it has gotten seriously shite these days.

Is it still that blonde doll presenting it. Ugh she was terrible! ''round up down, round up down. Now boys and girls you know the letter A'' .....Wdf?? I know my abc's and hadn't a clue what she was on about..

Sad to see it go though. Spent the best part of my childhood watching Den2 or the Den :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

wyrn wrote: »
    I loved Dempsey's Den! I remember Ian telling them that if they didn't behave santa wouldn't give them any presents! Ray was a great presenter. The fights with Ted were legendary. I still use my Z Brothers mug.

It was always the thing to rush home after school to see if you could see the opening credits and then 3 hours of laughter. James Bond jr. was probably the best cartoon they had.

I loved all the alter egos such as Johnny Cool Space Detective! I still have their tape of Never Mind the Zogabonds - and this is my favourite song along with the Bellybutton Fluff song. Hahaha I still know all the words! It was educational - it's where I learned what kleptomaniac meant "someone who robs stuff. No no that's someone who loves Kleps. Someone who robs stuff is a robber".

That Bellybutton Fluff song is absolutely brilliant. I have that tape somewhere as well, it's just genius.

It wasn't so much a thing of loving The Den, it was just something that became part of your day the same as school & eating & sleeping did. It was so clever, and I really do honestly believe that we were so lucky to grow up in a time when it was on telly. There's so much stuff on telly now that anyone in the world could be watching- some of it really good, like Spongebob, but a lot of it is just bland.

But The Den was uniquely Irish, but without being twee. It was so funny & you could tell that they genuinely loved being there- when Ray D'arcy or Ian Dempsey started laughing, it was infectious. There's a tendency in RTE to be all "now" and "modern" etc for young people's telly, which is ridiculous because there is nothing worse than watching something that's trying too hard. That's what was so great about the Den- you felt like they weren't even trying, that they just wanted you to be part of their fun world. It wasn't cringey like those "trendy young presenters" with their trying-too-hard hair & unfunny jokes they have now. It was simple & fun.

My favourite Den moments include these:

This one is particularly brilliant from 6.50 onwards:

"I met the children of Lir before they were children", brilliant:

Ah, good times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Did Zag make a machine to turn toenail clippings into electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

They don't make children's tv like they used to. Dustin is great, I would laugh at him as a kid, and now I laugh at his 'adult' jokes. (You know the ones that you would ask your mam what they meant and she would say "You wouldn't understand.") It's all... educational... and... safe tv now. What good does that have on kids minds!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Ah The Den was epic. Ray is the presenter I remember as been the best. He always had to apologise for what dustin was saying or trying to answer awkward questions from socky! Me and my sister used to love the 'yes/no gameshow' for some reason. The christmas specials were soooooo good, there's nothing like it on the telly anymore for the young 'uns. Go on ya good thing!!!!!!!!

Also the flap flaps were feckin great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Actually, someone mentioned a reunion or something earlier...

2 Christmasses ago the Ray Darcy show did a reunion on the radio and had a lot of the old people... Ray and Ian were there, Zig and Zag, Dustin, Don, Simon Young and all them...

they pod casted it, was hilarious but not sure if it's still up on iTunes, it was a good while back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Ah no, productivity out the window until someone posts up that song.

I had it on tape, had the books and used to watch it every evening. On a serious nostalgia buzz reading this thread.

Edit: Good on Ronnie for getting involved in this, can't believe how young he looks here. Another legend gone. :(

thats my favourite thing to do with the Den ever, thanks for posting. I'm all nostalgic now

remember Dustin's big green van! There was a cd (or tape) of his where he's driving that on the cover, I'm nearly sure Spanish Lady was on that

edit: jaysus my head's not got a great attention for detail. It was a white van, and it was in the video:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

One of the TV reviewers on today fm summed it up for me earlier today when he said that even though he knew he was probably too old to watch the show when he was in his latter secondary school years he still found himself rushing home to watch the show......such mass appeal, part of several generations of Irish people, phenomenal really :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sizzler wrote: »
    One of the TV reviewers on today fm summed it up for me earlier today when he said that even though he knew he was probably too old to watch the show when he was in his latter secondary school years he still found himself rushing home to watch the show......such mass appeal, part of several generations of Irish people, phenomenal really :cool:

I used to record it when I was in college, even when I started work, just for Dustin, as I said earlier how did RTE get away with the stuff he used to come out with :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/rte-will-lock-up-the-den-for-good-2010-09/?h=671

It will always be Ray, Zig, Zag, Zuppy and Ted to me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

The Den enD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It's a Rumour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement