Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portfolio attepmt number two..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

sells wrote: »
    thats it Raerae.................get out......................................................kidding

Haha. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wondering

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Think of your self as a high st clothing brand (no serious) Are you New look or Warehouse? you know the difference now get a sheet of card and put images and words on it that say what you are.

To include this in the portfolio, or an an exploration excercise of your own work?

If you can put all your pieces on the floor say in the sports hall in school and look at them are they all the same are the colours the same, are the subjects a bit young/boring/too cool. Try pick 5 words that describe them, now see whats missing and do that.

I know it all comes down to personal opinion but if you have a particular style should you try and explore things, styles outside that? I would be afrais of it looking awkard or forced.

... get a plan and travel along that plan and see where it takes you. Show this with your portfolio and it will give you something to talk about as apposed to;'this is what I've done over the last year, I put them in a big bag and here it is'.

As in a theme? how you self developed? what should this plan contain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would do this excercise first and see what you get out of it, you could just have it as a page in your sketch book rather than a piece. If you make it one of your pieces you will be too careful! just slap the stuff down and have a look at it.

Don't think of your style as the be all and end of you, your only required to be aware of what direction your going in and what interests you not what you are able to do.
    Be able to say

'I then transfered this drawing into a 3d piece because I wanted to develop the idea'
    not 'I did a 3d piece because I thought you'd expect it'

When your in collage you will get briefs such as: "time"

This may start with a sketch book of 6 or 7 images from many angles
    you may go on to a serious of water colours from this
    than a mixed media collage in large scale
    then maybe a small 3d object taken from an area in the mixed media piece.

This links 5 pieces and shows you can develop an idea

You might have 4 themes running through your portfolio

If you don't know where to start go back through your sketch books and see if you could take a piece further or go back to a oiece of work you love from school and develop that.

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

RaeRae wrote: »
    OH DEAR GOD. Could you be more condescending. Jesus christ.

And your fruits? Nice. That's the last thing they want to see in NCAD, be it green peppers, pomegranates, gourds.. Anything.

Good luck dear. (:

I'd give a +1 to that. They've seen enough fruit cut open over the last few decades, hence them introducing a project to try vary it a bit more.

Also, for what it's worth, it's all well and good having some fantastic finished pieces, but art colleges want interesting notebooks. Anyone can learn how to paint a pretty picture (and even then, they probably won't teach you that in an art college), but it's when they see people thinking why and how, and where they can go with a project that they'll start getting interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

or in other words:

http://www.ncad.ie/portfolio/brief.html

(looks like a really boring project...sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

Hey hopeful girl, have you thought anymore about what you have completed already?

Have you seen this link:
    http://www.cit.ie/media/admission%20procedures%20&%20portfolio%20guidelines_design%20communication.pdf

Crawford college (part of CIT) is very well respected in relation to fine art and has a long line of artists affiliated with the course....worth a look.

ya i checked that college out and went to the interview but like i was so inexperienced i went there with my school folder and nine pieces no sketch books or anything so i wasn't surprised not to be accepted. wonderful college though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

yeah going to the interviews with the secondary school folder is a bit daunting....i felt like," im the only one with some wee crappy folder" everyone elses was huge..i still got in though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Lady Luck wrote: »
    I'm making a portfolio for NCAD. I did my leaving cert last year but took a year out to do a bit of work. I have a job now, and I love it. But I want to go to college.

NCAD is very hard to get into. I am making a portfolio according to their brief. Its hard, but I'm pretty good at art so I'm confident I'll get in. Just don't get your hopes up for NCAD baby. its a really exclusive college and they only take the best in. x x x
    What makes you so special, pretty much everyone who applies to NCAD has the skills...Nobody can be sure
    Exclusive, its not 90210 or Studio 54, its a bleeding college.
    It doesn't make you any better than anyone else.
    Drawing fruit.....cliche much

Isn't that the biggest no no in the history of no no's. My art teacher, my portfolio course teacher, people in NCAD said never draw fruit. I hadn't one piece in my portfolio and I got in....

NCAD is not only about skills, you wouldn't apply to art college if you can't draw its about your ideas, your visual perception, what makes you stand out from the crowd.In art almost everyhting has been done, NCAD want to know you are worthwhile taking on. They don't sit down and carefully look at each folio, they flip through for 10 mins. They need to see something that makes you special, better than the other 600 people who drew fruit.
    that kind of attitude will get you nowhere in college, especially not in art colllege where you will be torn apart daily having your work scrutinised, you need to be able to accept that everyone there can draw! Not only you.
    If anyone else has this attitude drop it before getting to college it will not serve you well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

DigiGal wrote: »

NCAD is not only about skills, you wouldn't apply to art college if you can't draw its about your ideas, your visual perception, what makes you stand out from the crowd.In art almost everyhting has been done, NCAD want to know you are worthwhile taking on. They don't sit down and carefully look at each folio, they flip through for 10 mins. They need to see something that makes you special, better than the other 600 people who drew fruit.
    that kind of attitude will get you nowhere in college, especially not in art colllege where you will be torn apart daily having your work scrutinised, you need to be able to accept that everyone there can draw! Not only you.
    If anyone else has this attitude drop it before getting to college it will not serve you well

what makes you so special?

like honestly.

like honestly.
    I'm sorry what is your problem

• Advertisement

sells wrote: »
    yeah going to the interviews with the secondary school folder is a bit daunting....i felt like," im the only one with some wee crappy folder" everyone elses was huge..i still got in though:)
    I had a tiny folder too, can be quite intimidating seeing everyone with their A1s , I'm not even sure an A1 would fit on my table lol...I still got in too though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

like honestly.

i believe she was talking to the other girl with the inflated ego with regard to her fruit studies. its a long running joke that colleges hate to see fruit in a portfolio (especially as a starting object), that paired with her brass confidence is very off putting.

i've an interview for gti in september. its funny, i applied and never sat the interview back 4 years ago after the leaving cert. the lure of art college was compelling but i knew i wanted to be an art therapist and i wanted a psychology background. i need a portfolio to apply for my art therapy masters. i've been working on and off since 16 years of age on a portfolio but i'm taking the chance to spend a year working solidly without distraction or interruption.

i'm actually very glad i'm doing the plc now instead of 4/5 years ago. i really appreciate the chance to work on my art and exploring new methods/subjects in an encouraging environment. i'm nervous about my interview but i've worked with art a lot over my years so i hope the interview goes ok and i get in. I was told there is three times the applications this year!

i'm pretty sure my art portfolio may be different to regular art college applications since its for art therapy. its a way of not only proving my art skills ability but also my readiness to express myself in art which is vital to art therapy being successful. i've been told i'll be competing for places with people who have been through art college already. i was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this? or am i just reading too much into this?

Advertisement