Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portfolio attepmt number two..

Options
  • 27-05-2009 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

i think ill be getting into an art and design course.
    like my points are fine.

the thing is i wanted to try out for NCAD and LIT but didnt feel prepared enough.

can u do ur first year then come back and try again to enter another art course next year?

do u lose the grant?

can anyone help?

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

anyone at all, know anything at all.

pretty please.

much appricated if u have any knowledge of this topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Big difference between LSAD and NCAD, what area are you looking to go into?

Did you do any of the interviews last year, which college did you prefer?

What feedback did you get on your protfolio?

Can you describe your best 3 pieces?

In Limerick, you apply for art and after year one you can go on to do: Fashion, design, sculpture, fine art, etc.

As far as I know, you can be liable for fees if you start another course again but you can move within courses ie chose design after 1st year.

painting, photography..

i'm fairly sure i will get into gmit thi year.

i liked LIT the most. but unfortunately i doubt i will get high enough points to be accepted into there.

i finished a whole portfolio at home in three months mostly.was pretty intensive.

conte still life of fruit bowls(colour), sketch of a young girl (blavk and white) and pencil drawing of a fiddle.

yes.but do you know if its possible to actually leave a art course and apply to another one to start 2nd year elsewhere?

thanks a mil :D

Yes you can leave your course and start another one like leave art and start business, but you will have to pay fees (not registration) and you could have probs getting your grant.

You can transfer between art degrees if that's any good for example 1st year Limerick 2nd year fine art NCAD, third year LSAD fine art....

You will cover photography in 1st year but looks like you are after a fine art degree.

Did you get more than 320 points in your leaving?
    What distinguises your three 2d studies from everybody elses offerings?

Have you any 3d or mixed media pieces?

ya.
    exactly.

i'll get over 400 points like. but i wont scrape into the college at that because u have to each 800 hundred points to get into the college.
    and 700 people went for interviews in lit this year. many people after doing a plc course.

so im not going to get my hopes up.

nothing exceptional. only photographs of 3d's i had done at school.

i.m not sure... i have my own style. i dont really no what to say about my work. i like it cus its what i have created. the pieces reflet on my life in alot of cases.
    or are studies of objects/people in conte, biro, paint, charkol.

are you in art college?

• Advertisement

I did fashion in Limerick in 2000(God was it that long ago!!!!)

I didn't get in to any college on my first attempt even though I went to 5 interviews I think. I had 400 points too so I must have been useless in the portfolio. My 6th year art teacher was great but she could only give me pointers, she couldn't do it form me.

In the end I did a PLC course which was great but If I'd known what I knew in November of the year I could have made a portfolio that would have been good enough to get in.

Think of your self as a high st clothing brand (no serious) Are you New look or Warehouse? you know the difference now get a sheet of card and put images and words on it that say what you are.

Now do all the stereotypical studies that we all had to do but do them in your style and in a way that makes you stand out.

If you can put all your pieces on the floor say in the sports hall in school and look at them are they all the same are the colours the same, are the subjects a bit young/boring/too cool. Try pick 5 words that describe them, now see whats missing and do that.

As your interested in fine art painting I'd advise you to get on the net and get atleast 50 examples of different styles ie impressionism etc. Now look at what you have where does your work fit in? Or have you started a new movement?

If I do a still life and you do one, my one should be different to yours as my back round is design and fashion and your back round should be fine art. I'm not saying theres a right way and a wrong way.

I am saying get a plan and travel along that plan and see where it takes you. Show this with your portfolio and it will give you something to talk about as apposed to;'this is what I've done over the last year, I put them in a big bag and here it is'.

Don't be afraid to approach anybody you know and ask them to look at your portfolio. Put a sign up in school and ask has anybody got a relative that could help.

I hope that makes sense, though I admit when my tutors used to say this to me I used to think, what planet are they on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

you should do a fetac plc course in art and design and it will give you time to make a great portfoilio. works all the time....chances of getting into college are greater too. good luck

where did u do your plc?
    i have gti as my backup plan for a fetac course.
    my art teacher never helped either. just took a peak at it the day before the interview. gave more proof of the genuine nature of the portfolio in the interview. no outside help like.

they're really great pointers :)

did u like finish out your course completely in the same university or move around?

and fashion looks like a brilliant course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

did the plc in westport.
    abasolutely brilliant course...

where did u do your plc?
    i have gti as my backup plan for a fetac course.
    my art teacher never helped either. just took a peak at it the day before the interview. gave more proof of the genuine nature of the portfolio in the interview. no outside help like.

they're really great pointers :)

did u like finish out your course completely in the same university or move around?

and fashion looks like a brilliant course.

I left after 2nd year you can't imagine how much money you need to do fashion, materials are the killer try to get as much as possible 2nd hand Buy and sell etc.

I really did love my PLC course but by 2nd year in college I was much older than most of my mates and I had a good job at home and was made full time. At the time the money was great and was about as much as the degree year were making a few years after college, so I left.

But some day........

• Advertisement

do you really want to go back now?

you have to do the things you love in life.

otherwise lifes pretty pointless.

did the plc in westport.
    abasolutely brilliant course...
    i have never heard of a course there :D
    whats it called?

do you really want to go back now?

you have to do the things you love in life.

otherwise lifes pretty pointless.

I agree but I'm a retail fashion manager now so not a million miles away...

thats class.

so u end up doing what u want to do anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck

I'm making a portfolio for NCAD. I did my leaving cert last year but took a year out to do a bit of work. I have a job now, and I love it. But I want to go to college.

NCAD is very hard to get into. I am making a portfolio according to their brief. Its hard, but I'm pretty good at art so I'm confident I'll get in. Just don't get your hopes up for NCAD baby. its a really exclusive college and they only take the best in. x x x

ya.
    but
    ya.
    i probably won't get in.
    i'll still try for it next year tho.
    did you get accepted this year?

No but I am submitting my portfolio next february. I will get accepted though. I have the skills and I am working hard. You might get in! Hopefully I'll see you there :) x

hope so.
    want to tell me about your art stuff?

Well I mainly take inspiration from fruit and vegetables. But I always tend to cut them open and draw their insides. It all looks pretty good. I'm sorry I can't tell you any more, I know you wouldnt steal my ideas but still hehee. what is yours? x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

Lady Luck wrote: »
    Well I mainly take inspiration from fruit and vegetables. But I always tend to cut them open and draw their insides. It all looks pretty good. I'm sorry I can't tell you any more, I know you wouldnt steal my ideas but still hehee. what is yours? x

Seriously? :o Don't they advise against that exact idea, cutting up a green pepper or something, in the portfolio guidlines?

• Advertisement

Weekend Warrior, who asked your opinion? I don't cut up an peppers thank you. I use cool fruits like pomegranates and pineapples and star fruit and figs. You don't know my work, therefore you cannot judge me.

Hey hopeful girl, have you thought anymore about what you have completed already?

Have you seen this link:
    http://www.cit.ie/media/admission%20procedures%20&%20portfolio%20guidelines_design%20communication.pdf

Crawford college (part of CIT) is very well respected in relation to fine art and has a long line of artists affiliated with the course....worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Lady Luck wrote: »
    I'm making a portfolio for NCAD. I did my leaving cert last year but took a year out to do a bit of work. I have a job now, and I love it. But I want to go to college.

NCAD is very hard to get into. I am making a portfolio according to their brief. Its hard, but I'm pretty good at art so I'm confident I'll get in. Just don't get your hopes up for NCAD baby. its a really exclusive college and they only take the best in. x x x

OH DEAR GOD. Could you be more condescending. Jesus christ.

And your fruits? Nice. That's the last thing they want to see in NCAD, be it green peppers, pomegranates, gourds.. Anything.

Good luck dear. (:

Sorry for hijacking your thread there hopeful_girl. Had to be said.

I know people who've done first year in one college and 2nd year onwards in others, it's not that uncommon. However if you do first year in one place and do it again in another, you'll of course have to pay fees for the 2nd time round but that's until you go into the next year.

Best of luck with your 2nd attempt (:

RaeRae wrote: »
    OH DEAR GOD. Could you be more condescending. Jesus christ.

And your fruits? Nice. That's the last thing they want to see in NCAD, be it green peppers, pomegranates, gourds.. Anything.

Good luck dear. (:

Excuse me, but I DID NOT intend to sound condescending. Just warning peoples before they get their hopes up. And you don't know my fruits. You don't know how I draw (or even sculpt) them. But thanks for the best wishes though. x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

any more cursing or insults you´ll both get banned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

i did the portfolio in like 3 months wile i was doing the leaving aswell, got into gmit, pretty good, just walked about being lazy all year but still worked, got into second year doing what i wanted too, so great....just bullsheit through the portfolio. thats what i did. snorlax...hmmmmm

lady luck , lucky are we, confident too, maybe too confident...hmmmm ....nah just kidding, good luck to you lady luck and also to you hopefull girl. The langanator will be a tough task to please but you should do it. I did, the langanator loves me now...if you get there and thats an if, you will find out what am talkin about. goodluck, bye.

snorlax wrote: »
    any more cursing or insults you´ll both get banned :)

Sorry. No more from me. I've said what needed to be said. :)

I don't see where I threw around insults but fair enough.

• Advertisement

thats it Raerae.................get out......................................................kidding

Advertisement