Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

That photo is the most glorious yet sickening sight i have ever witnessed......And mine isn't there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

Indeed, the thought is rather unsettling to say the least.

It's a pity they take so long to let us know, it's plain torture >_>

Although I must admit I'm looking forward to collecting my portfolio this weekend to see can I find any clues from the examination....
    After a meticulous comb through I'm hoping to get the sweet scent of examiner 'satisfaction' :rolleyes:

Mine was 182 so I collected it last Saturday. My sketchbooks were all in a different pocket and a painting and a worksheet were upside down :eek: I stopped short of dusting it for finger prints...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unugh

Its really interesting too see the process.With that many people viewing them there should be no reason anyones isnt looked at.I was in the 1st 200,but due to circumstances out of my control I am collecting it tomorrow so I will see then.Its too hard to tell from the pic what the portfolios look like there...they seem happy with what they see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

How many places are there in NCAD Core every year?

Got it back today.Opened it and it was a mess..hopefully not an ''ahhh this is absolute rubbishhhh!!!!?!!'' kind of frustrated mess.but a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

BlueNemo wrote: »
    Portfolio due 5th and 6th of March for D.I.T.... Wish me luck :p

Any last minute advice i might benefit from?? :D

> Ensure that everything in your portfolio is what the standard would be or what individual colleges are looking for in your portfolio.
    > "Proof-read" it; ensure that its up to its best scratch.
    > Ask for advice off art teacher or somebody who you may know is already taking part in a art college course (inc.PLC) to see what they think...they may have a good opinion on what to omit and what to keep.

That's my two cents! :)
    gl young, eager artistic mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

I am already in an art PLC course in DIFE :P

I think (fingers crossed) that i'm basically set, my teachers gonna see it all monday so lets see what he says about it all!:rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's advice on this thread, been a great help:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

Got my portfolio back to NCAD today.
    Had a quick skim through and everything seemed to have been looked at to some degree. Also, it appears they had some of my sheets out of their plastic covers. I'll take that as a good sign :pac:
    Aard wrote: »
    How many places are there in NCAD Core every year?

Last year they took in around 180, apparently that was an increase on the previous year. I'd say you can expect the figure to be around the same this year give or take a few.

Last night I dreamt that I didn't get into Ncad. :( More promising signs, I get letters from D.I.T and Limerick about portfolio submission dates etc. Does anyone know what the interviews for Limerick go like? Do they just ask you general questions about your work? :o

Be assured you are not the only one having such dreams. Thankfully there's only another couple of weeks to go now to the dreaded NCAD letters so we'll all find out soon enough :D (I'm on a bet with a friend of mine they're coming after the 23rd)

I imagine interviews for Limerick will be pretty focused mostly on your work, ideas and thought process through your portfolio etc. Maybe even a few ''why do you want to go to art college?'' type questions thrown in but then again that's pure speculation on my part :pac:

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Be assured you are not the only one having such dreams. Thankfully there's only another couple of weeks to go now to the dreaded NCAD letters so we'll all find out soon enough :D (I'm on a bet with a friend of mine they're coming after the 23rd)

I imagine interviews for Limerick will be pretty focused mostly on your work, ideas and thought process through your portfolio etc. Maybe even a few ''why do you want to go to art college?'' type questions thrown in but then again that's pure speculation on my part :pac:

Best of luck!

My birthday is the 24th :o I want a birthday present from Ncad as opposed to a birthday kick in the teeth!
    Thanks for the advice. ;)

A rejection would be a fair kick in the teeth around your birthday, here's hoping it doesn't happen ;)

Times like this I find comfort in the thought that every one in three portfolios submitted has to secure a place. Hope that helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eim07

Last night I dreamt that I didn't get into Ncad. :( More promising signs, I get letters from D.I.T and Limerick about portfolio submission dates etc. Does anyone know what the interviews for Limerick go like? Do they just ask you general questions about your work? :o

long time since i was going for my limerick interview, but youre more or less talking them through the work you have, there will prob be two or three of them, but there are no major dragons among them, theyre all ok, bit like xfactor or something hahaha, make an impression on them and youre laughing...good luck...get familiar with the type of work they do in limerick also thats important...good luck

A rejection would be a fair kick in the teeth around your birthday, here's hoping it doesn't happen ;)

Times like this I find comfort in the thought that every one in three portfolios submitted has to secure a place. Hope that helps :D
    That is indeed a comforting thought

Thankfully there's only another couple of weeks to go now to the dreaded NCAD letters so we'll all find out soon enough :D (I'm on a bet with a friend of mine they're coming after the 23rd)

quote]

Apparantly they have been out since this Monday.I have heard in college someones friend getting in on Monday and others have said some secondary school students have their letters.

I dont really know if theres much truth to do this despite what people say as its very odd not a single person in my college has gotten a letter yet.

unugh wrote: »

Apparantly they have been out since this Monday.I have heard in college someones friend getting in on Monday and others have said some secondary school students have their letters.

I dont really know if theres much truth to do this despite what people say as its very odd not a single person in my college has gotten a letter yet.

Since Monday? :eek:

There's no sign of any letter here but then again my post can be slow.
    It certainly seems a bit early compared to previous years but here's hoping there's some truth to it.
    It will at least put us all out of our misery sooner than we think :pac:
    *keeps watchful eye on letterbox*

If anybody here does happen to get a letter this week, let us boardies know how you got on!

Oh my God :eek:
    It does seem early but I hope it's true because the suspense is killing me! I don't want to be counting down the seconds until the post arrives during my orals. :p I wonder do they send all the letters out at once?

Since Monday? :eek:

There's no sign of any letter here but then again my post can be slow.
    It certainly seems a bit early compared to previous years but here's hoping there's some truth to it.
    It will at least put us all out of our misery sooner than we think :pac:
    *keeps watchful eye on letterbox*

If anybody here does happen to get a letter this week, let us boardies know how you got on!
    No sign of one yet guys.....Nobody i know has gotten their's either.

Its wierd.Someones claiming Colaiste Dhulaigh have letters and one guy got in - I find it suspect that a majority of one PLC course have letters and nobody else does?Unless you state in your portfolio what course your in I dont think they know where your coming from until the CAO officially tells you if your in.Its Wednesday now and no letter from anyone I actually know so I dont know what too believe

+ Sorry if I got anyone nervous or anxious.I was genuinly curious as I rang home straight away as soon as this ''news'' was out and nothing.Thought id post it here just too know im not alone.

• Advertisement

unugh wrote: »
    + Sorry if I got anyone nervous or anxious.I was genuinly curious as I rang home straight away as soon as this ''news'' was out and nothing.Thought id post it here just too know im not alone.

No need to be sorry; I am so glad that there are other people stressing about letters! :p I'm in sixth year so I don't know anyone else applying to Ncad. My friends can't understand why I'm waiting so anxiously for 'just a letter'. :o

No sign of any letter today too.
    I have a friend who's applying from my art class and she hasn't gotten hers either.
    Arggh the anticipation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 smashedpumpkin

Just wanted to say about the letters and such, stop worrying guys! It really isn't a big deal, particularly if you're applying directly from school. I'm in second yr ncad at the moment, and I decided to do a portfolio course first (I did it in Ballyfermot, and I absolutely loved it!) I actually don't think I'd have been ready for big scary college if I hadn't gone there first :) but basically don't worry cause there's always next year. Oh! And the number of people they let into Core had gone way up too, last yr they let in almost 200 I think, so you've all got a better chance than I would've too. lucky buggers. :P Good luck to you all though! :D

(and to anyone who gets on the waiting list, call the college and ask if they can tell you how many people are ahead of you on the list, lots of the time up to 15 or 20 people on it get in too!)

Gave the NCAD admissions office a ring today and got through to a nice lady who said the letters haven't gone out yet so we can all relax! She also said it will about another two weeks so there's still some waiting to be done :rolleyes:

Unugh, any person who's been claiming has a letter must just be wishful thinking :p
    Just wanted to say about the letters and such, stop worrying guys! It really isn't a big deal, particularly if you're applying directly from school. I'm in second yr ncad at the moment, and I decided to do a portfolio course first (I did it in Ballyfermot, and I absolutely loved it!) I actually don't think I'd have been ready for big scary college if I hadn't gone there first :) but basically don't worry cause there's always next year. Oh! And the number of people they let into Core had gone way up too, last yr they let in almost 200 I think, so you've all got a better chance than I would've too. lucky buggers. :P Good luck to you all though! :D

(and to anyone who gets on the waiting list, call the college and ask if they can tell you how many people are ahead of you on the list, lots of the time up to 15 or 20 people on it get in too!)

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    Every little helps in the nerve calming :D

Gave the NCAD admissions office a ring today and got through to a nice lady who said the letters haven't gone out yet so we can all relax! She also said it will about another two weeks so there's still some waiting to be done :rolleyes:

Unugh, any person who's been claiming has a letter must just be wishful thinking :p

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    Every little helps in the nerve calming :D
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 2 weeks ****!!!

Can anyone tell me the date of collection for portfolio's in Dit. My bag got stolen on the way back from the college and my collection recipt was in it??!!! Please help ASAP

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the date of collection for portfolio's in Dit. My bag got stolen on the way back from the college and my collection recipt was in it??!!! Please help ASAP
    My friend dropped mine off for me and they never even gave her the receipt but told her 'around the 18th'! Hope that helps!

And two weeks for NCAD?? :(:(:(

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Whoops, I just called her and she DID get a receipt. It's the 16th or the 18th :o

Whoops, I just called her and she DID get a receipt. It's the 16th or the 18th :o
    Cool thanks. Is your friend Pamela by any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Collected my portfolio from DIT today...

scary eh :P

Advertisement