Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

they have a new yoke where they tell you exactly what to do for NCAD, it's kind of put me off :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hello!
    Ok i'm new on this, much help appreciated!!!
    Larianne you are a god send!

Have only decided recently that becoming an art teacher is what I want to do. I'm in 6th year now and freaking out because the brief is due for February! AGH!

And I haven't even started!! One of my Art teachers recommended doing a portfolio course for summer 09 but would that be wasting time? As in, this time next year would I be sitting at home twidling my thumbs?

Anyone know of any art teacher that does grinds in portfolio courses in the Kildare/Dublin region?
    Have emailed Draíocht today, their course starts tomorro for portfolio prep.

Any help much obliged!!!

See if you can get onto the Draiocht course. You definitely need advice with how to get your portfolio together and which way to go with it. Would any of the Art teachers in your school take you afterwards for help with a portfolio? You could do a full time portfolio preparation course next year (which is what I did). It will give you more time to prepare and make a good go of it. You will do modules such as photography, 3d craft, and graphic design as well as the usual paint, colour, life drawing etc. There's no point stressing about a portfolio as well as the Leaving Cert!!! (unless you feel you could manage it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sophisticated6y

Larianne wrote: »
    See if you can get onto the Draiocht course. You definitely need advice with how to get your portfolio together and which way to go with it. Would any of the Art teachers in your school take you afterwards for help with a portfolio? You could do a full time portfolio preparation course next year (which is what I did). It will give you more time to prepare and make a good go of it. You will do modules such as photography, 3d craft, and graphic design as well as the usual paint, colour, life drawing etc. There's no point stressing about a portfolio as well as the Leaving Cert!!! (unless you feel you could manage it.)

Thanks Larianne! I think I will do a portfolio prep class next year.
    No point stressing myself out too much! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I recently applied to National Gallery's Portfolio Prep Course, don't know what to expect, but the organizer of the whole things is apparently an old friend of my mother's, hah.
    I've been considering NCAD, IADT and Ballyfermot, but I think I'm knocking NCAD on the head now because it doesn't look too exciting, and the Brief is rubbish!
    Hoping to do Animation, but before that a one-year Portfolio Prep Course, probably ADS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mateivena

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice about the forthcoming portfolio submission in feb for ncad core course!
    Is it possible to complete a good one from now to feb with some tuition or grinds?I'm a recent graduate of a design course and unable to find work at the mo but planning to work part-time at anything for the meantime....i love art and have loads of ideas after reading the brief...unfortunatly Ive only decided to pursue this course recently so ive missed the boat in terms of applying for a year long portfolio course...would it worth it/possible to try and cram a year in to a few months:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357937
    ^
    has loads of advice on portfolio advice.

you can make one up in time... but it really depends on how you work.

Do you need tuition or grinds? Just start working on the ideas you have already and see how it goes.

Start working on your ideas and post in that thread above for feedback on ideas etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mateivena

Thanks ThenComesDudley...got some helpful info there, will just ave to find a tutor now
    Thanks again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 VERY DESPERATE

Hey, (don't mind the name, comes from my only other post 4 years ago lookin for gig tickets!)

I'm in Ballyfermot now, definitely recommend doin a portfolio course. Ballyfermot is brilliant.

That being said, I'm still confused about the brief. Mainly the practical stuff,

like are you supposed to just do a load of different brainstorming ideas on a worksheet?
    Does that mean you have a big a2 sheet with lots of little drawings on it? Its that was section a excersise 1 means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭vines

Hey,

just wanna say thanks to all for all the great info, really helpful! So much work eh?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Only started portfolio now.....will I get it done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Thanks ThenComesDudley...got some helpful info there, will just ave to find a tutor now
    Thanks again
    -Mateivena

Hey, not sure if I'm late or anything but where do you live? I've got a friend who lives in the wexford area who works with students from the Gorey Community School.
    -HouseHippo

Hiya, damn you people really like to work a tight shift :p. I worked a little bit in 5th year [animation portfolio course @ IADT during the summer after 5th yr], and all the way through 6th yr on my portfolio [didn't do my LC any justice, then again I wasn't too pushed]. I think anybody can work on it over a few months intensively but whether the quality of work is of almost perfection is another matter. I believe that these people need to get help asap from college students or portfolio prep courses that maybe on during the winter time.

Please don't leave it too late guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

HouseHippo wrote: »

It's worth a try, you've nothing to lose! Are you doing the Ncad brief?
    I'm only just finshed the first section. :confused:

Yep,i'm finished forst section and one of the design/invent pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sysbase

I think it looks nice but I'm not one to give advice.. thanks for sharing!001_cool.gif

I'm nearly finished working on the portfolio brief,just wondering how rigidly i should stick to it

I'm nearly finished too, well, I think so :(
    I basically stuck to the brief, but I did skip some small parts and let some ideas develop to outside the brief.
    I'm a bit worried that I don't have enough different media in it though...I have painting, print, textiles, photography but very little sculpture.

I'm nearly finished too, well, I think so :(
    I basically stuck to the brief, but I did skip some small parts and let some ideas develop to outside the brief.
    I'm a bit worried that I don't have enough different media in it though...I have painting, print, textiles, photography but very little sculpture.
    Ah i only did one sculpture. I strayed too just o show some development of ideas. In just have section 3 to do now workin on that at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kodonohoe673

i went to the ncad open day and talked at lenght with one of the core year instructors. i asked about adding extra work that didnt exactly meet the brief but bits i kind of developed in doing the set parts of the brief. she replyed it would that it would look nervous. and to stick to the brief exactly.
    so from what i gathered do exactly what is in the brief and in the notebook(s) expand on your ideas. the main point is to meet the brief. as they will have a marking scheme for each section.

hope everyones doin okay. im no where near finished. its a 30 hour estimate. im the worst procrastinator in the world but sure. im getting there and it seems to be going fine.

also people applying to portfolio prep courses. i do not recommend colaiste dhulaigh. if your aiming for ncad that is. i was there and quit after little over a month and alot of others aiming for ncad did too. i was told ncad wasnt the best, and we were also told noone would be getting into ncad. thats because they didnt follow the brief. these courses should cater for all art courses their students are interested in not whichever is easiest for them i felt severely let down. as rumors have it ballyfermot is at the same bull**** this year. but im not one to comment on this really because i didnt go there.

good luck!!!

also people applying to portfolio prep courses. i do not recommend colaiste dhulaigh. if your aiming for ncad that is. i was there and quit after little over a month and alot of others aiming for ncad did too. i was told ncad wasnt the best, and we were also told noone would be getting into ncad. thats because they didnt follow the brief. these courses should cater for all art courses their students are interested in not whichever is easiest for them i felt severely let down. as rumors have it ballyfermot is at the same bull**** this year. but im not one to comment on this really because i didnt go there.

good luck!!!

I went to Colaiste Dhulaigh and maybe you're right about NCAD. Only one girl from my class got in. Although I dunno how many were aiming for NCAD. I suppose it's hard as the brief for NCAD is so specific and the course has to aim for all courses. The course was a bit shakey at the start, I wanted to quit too but I stayed on and they do help you towards the course you want. I got into DLIADT and everyone in my class got in somewhere.

I'm very impressed at the people doing the portfolios by themselves! Fair play. When it's all done and dusted it'd be great if you could post up some of your pics.

i was told ncad wasnt the best, and we were also told noone would be getting into ncad. thats because they didnt follow the brief. these courses should cater for all art courses their students are interested in not whichever is easiest for them i felt severely let down.
    -kodonohoe673

That's a pity. I know people in my course that studied on a PLC course in Gorey, Wexford and one of them got NCAD but stuck with our course (he's doing really well at the moment). He hasn't been the only one to reject NCAD.

Just to inform those who don't know much about the other courses out there...the PLC course that I am talking about is this one >>>

http://www.gsa.ie/art&design.htm
    http://www.gsa.ie/digitalmedia.htm

My course (originally located in Gorey, now Wex Town):

http://www.itcarlow.ie/wcsad_course.asp?top_section=2&lower_section=9&uid=itcarlow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

!

Really? Wow they really changed their tune. I went there 8 years ago and was given a very hard time because I was not applying to NCAD. I had no interest in doing core so I didnt want to apply there. The course at the time was solely based on the NCAD brief and about 10 got places in NCAD. Very surprised to hear that, especially as NCADs brief is one of the easiest to follow!

Oh God I'm so scared now after reading everyone's comments :o:o
    I'm almost finished the brief but I still have alot of work to do and I'm not really hopeful about getting in, I think I just messed it up with the brief! I feel like the stuff I did at the start, Section1 and that, is really awful and substandard compared to what I'm doing at the minute.
    My second choice is Limerick, but will I ruin my chances/offend them by presenting what is fairly obviously a portfolio aimed for Ncad?

but will I ruin my chances/offend them by presenting what is fairly obviously a portfolio aimed for Ncad?
    -Weekend Warrior

Doubt it! If you cover their "brief" or what ever they ask for...then I wouldn't see a problem. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Apologies, had a look at the NCAD brief. Its far more specific than it used to be I guess this is to cut down on the number of generic portfolios. Its also very open, and similar to the types of assignments you'll get from day one in art college.

On the different colleges, I tweaked my portfolio for each college I was applying too. Obviously aim for the college you really want but the deadlines are different dates (correct me if this still isnt the case!) so you can keep working on your portfolio. Good luck!

lady_j wrote: »
    Really? Wow they really changed their tune. I went there 8 years ago and was given a very hard time because I was not applying to NCAD. I had no interest in doing core so I didnt want to apply there. The course at the time was solely based on the NCAD brief and about 10 got places in NCAD. Very surprised to hear that, especially as NCADs brief is one of the easiest to follow!

Ya must have been there when I was there! :)

Weekend Warrior, keep going the way you are now. You never know!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kodonohoe673

there are different submission dates for all the collages. ncad being the first next friday. for other collages tweak and expand on the brief. show them you were thinking beyond the ncad brief for them. i think we have 3 weeks thereabout after submitting to ncad to do this. i wouldnt just leave it at the ncad brief for other collages. they too are looking for something. so for example. you want a vis com course. expad on the brief (providing this is the portfolio you started with) and just expand in whatever dscipline a bit more. cater for the course you are going for. good luck. 6 days aghhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

im applying this year as well. headin up on friday.so nervous but i guess whatever fate has in store is the way it'll be...
    as regards to showing your folio to other college and them noticing the obvious ncad brief , dont worry, i asked my art teacher about this and she said no point worrying cos they'll know you wana keep your options open.you cant be expected to do two folios anyway(ncad brief and normal) so good luck everyone applying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm thinking of applying to the NCAD next year, to start September 2010. On the portfolio brief page (http://www.ncad.ie/portfolio/) it says "for entry into the NCAD 2009/10. Does this mean schoolyear 09/10, or does it mean both entry in 09 and 10?

Basically, is this the brief I should be working on for entry in 2010, or will they issue a new one for next year?

Thank you for any replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

im not 100% sure but i think they bring out a new brief every year
    good luck :)

• Advertisement

Phew, so I dropped my portfolio up to Ncad today. :D At least it's finished, thank God. Thanks so much to everyone on this thread who gave advice and stuff, it was great. And good luck to everyone applying!

Advertisement