Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fabric Shops

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chicwithstix

The Yarn Room in Ashford is now selling Amy Butler fabric : ) Also, there is a shop in Dublin on Parnell Street called Select Fabric that has a varied selection. You may want to try Studio 54 in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fabrico

Hi

I know these are old posts, but if you are still interested in buying fabrics I am selling off a lot of my stash.

I have some nice retro 60's/70's stuff too.

Regards
    Martina

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭hgm

fabrico wrote: »
    Hi

I know these are old posts, but if you are still interested in buying fabrics I am selling off a lot of my stash.

I have some nice retro 60's/70's stuff too.

Regards
    Martina

Hi Martina could you pm me with more details please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fabrico

Hi,
    Thanks for responding.
    I have some of everything.: Retro 60/70's jersey, wool, crepe de chine, embroidered denim, embroidered fleece.
    I am moving house at the moment, hence the clearout.
    I can give you good prices if you tell me what you might be interested in and I will go look. Everything in boxes at the moment, but I know where everthing is.
    I can post if you like.
    I live in the West myself.
    You are very welcome to come look too if that is convenient.

Thanks and regards
    Helena

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

A reminder of the forum charter, this forum is not for sales. Visit adverts.ie the sister site.. Open a post, put link here. No more sales talk please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Frustrated_WW

fabrico wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks for responding.
    I have some of everything.: Retro 60/70's jersey, wool, crepe de chine, embroidered denim, embroidered fleece.
    I am moving house at the moment, hence the clearout.
    I can give you good prices if you tell me what you might be interested in and I will go look. Everything in boxes at the moment, but I know where everthing is.
    I can post if you like.
    I live in the West myself.
    You are very welcome to come look too if that is convenient.

Thanks and regards
    Helena

Interested in stuff suitable for patchwork and/or quilting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 elizabethmary

Just looked on fabric.com, its AMAZING lotds of really lovely things. I make all sorts of things but only just started on my own clothes and buying fabric is soooooo expensive, much cheaper to but the garment.

For patchwork I go to Limerick Quilt centre , you can find them on facebook and for household I have been buying from IKEA, you just cant beat the price but they dont change the designs often enough for me.

For linen do visit Hanlys in Nenagh, on the website they concentrate on the tweed and woollens but in the shop they sell end of lines at about €12 a metre.

Im off now to fabric.com and going to try some laminated cottons for picnic table mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Frustrated_WW

What about shipping costs from the States? have you bought from them before? Thanks a mil

Hi I havent bought from them before, I habe use pink chalk fabriucs and another site (will look it up) neither got stopped by customs, shipping is added but still works out. It I can find prices I will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭whippetgood

i'm in the same boat looking for fabrics. shipping prices from online always seems to much.
    I have a friend doing a fashion design course and it is working out sooo expensive for her!

The woolen mills upstairs has a bit of stuff.
    Apparently there is a beashty palce out near kilmainham (will try get the name)
    For embellishment / knitting / crochet - Aimee Rose in CityWest Shopping Centre is great and has a load of different types of wool.
    Got a small table loom and used some stuff I got in there on that. Very handy. http://www.buyandsell.ie/stores/AimeeRose

For embroidery stuff and sewing machine threads I buy online mainly through ebay! Works out a lot cheaper than Hickeys, absolutely.
    You can also find the odd gems on classifieds sites where people are doing clearouts. Got a shoebox full of buttons and thread this time last year for 10 euro through Buy and Sell ..very random all together !!!

oh also might be worth trying car boot sales just remembered I picked up a box of muslin for a tenner, and maybe www.etsy.com but the shipping problem will still be there!

Hi all I have just sent my first order to fabric.com. It was about $60 plus postage. I asked my brother about VAT and duty as he works in freight and he sent me the following info

I have since found out that fabric.com sent buy post rather than courier. Personal address parcels are less likely to be stopped than business address parcels.
    Anyway I will let you know when mine arrives.

Do you know if it is coming my postal post (with or without ems/tracking number) or courier post?
    If by postal post (with/without tracking number) it is a random check I think depending on how busy they are and value of goods and what the goods are.

_________ mum sent a 3 part parce (from Japan)l, 1 was stopped and 2 got through. We paid vat and duty on 1 stopped.
    For something that is only 53 usd they may not bother (I brought in tshirts at 80 usd, no problem)

We clear some postal shipments for customers and on the parcelpost paperwork it says pretty much what below link shows

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/value_added_tax.html
    If you buy online or by mail order etc.
    From outside the EU
    You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic product and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a guide to the reliefs available for imports from non-EC countries.
    If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information.

Hi All just to let you know my order form fabric.com arrived safely a week after I ordered it, wasnt stopped by customs. $53 for fabric and $15 postage for what I would pay €115 here, Im happy and would recomend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 stacey25

Giddybootz, its my favourite too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 2pink

Calico fabric shop on Lower Oliver Plunkett street cork is really nice. Very small but dig deep and you will find a few nice bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gclaire

Does anyone know wherei cud get mint green lace for a dress?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You could try Studio 54 in Sandyford. I think they do a lot of costume for theatre and film, etc: but they certainly used to have loads of dress fabrics in their previous shop in Blackrock, and there was a dressmaking service at that time too.

Not sure what the setup is since they relocated; but well worth a phone call I should think, I have always found them very helpful and specially good for things like lace and silk!

They don't seem to have a website but there is a fa**book page - not sure if forum rules allow posting links or phone numbers - PM me for that if u cant find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

gclaire wrote: »
    Does anyone know wherei cud get mint green lace for a dress?? :)
    All Dublin 1/2

Hickeys, Henry st.
    WM Trimmings, Capel St.
    Fabric Select, Parnell St.
    Murphy Sheehy, Castle Market.
    The Cloth Shop, South King St.
    TWI, Mountjoy Sq.
    Rubanesque, Powerscourt Centre.

That should get you started, if none of them have what you want, could always try ordering online depending on your timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi

Just to add to the list, I've bought a lot of fabric from efabrics.co.uk.
    Shipping is very reasonable, they post it and it depends on weight.

If I'm buying heavy material, I choose the uk postage option but get it delivered to parcel motel.

Advertisement