Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fabric Shops

Options
  • 28-02-2008 4:31pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apart from Hickeys (which I find has a bit of a muck range of fabrics for making clothing from) are there any fabric shops in Ireland?

It's driving me cracked, I have a load of patterns and no suitable fabrics to make anything. I was in New York recently and I bought as much as I could carry in a few lovely shops they have over there.

I've bought a few pieces from eBay & fabric.com, but you really don't know what a fabric is like if you can't touch it.

Any ideas :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭peeps78

murphy sheehys behind the powerscourt townhouse, is a good one, but they mainly sell leftovers so theres a limited amount of certain patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Dublin Woollen Mills on the Quays and there is a fabric shop on Parnell Street as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Cool! I'll check them out next time I'm up there.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 littlebee

The Fabric Gallery in Bray has an ok selection. But I too am disheartened with the array of fabric available in Ireland. I tend to get alot of mine online.... but it's so much nicer to go into a shop and see for yourself what's there and feel the fabric! :)

Yeah.

What I did recently is I ordered a load of swatches from fabric.com, you only get a little bit but it's enough really.

I ordered 3 yards of duponi silk and only paid 35 euro including delivery, I'd priced the same (albeit in a different colour) in Hickey's earlier for 96.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 littlebee

Fabric.com is truly fantastic! I have just ordered LOADS of swatches.... even with the shipping it is so much cheaper that buying fabric here... the problem is, there are so many beautiful fabrics that I could spend a fortune! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cacac

That's right, nice fabrics in Dublin is hard to find, on e-bay there is a very nice shop where there is a lot of different kind for good price:
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Totally-Kaffe
    unfortunately a part a the shop is close until end of april, but still few stuff online to get a nice idea.
    What is very nice is the bulk of small pieces there are doing for very cheap.:)

cacac
    www.chaoticcacac.canalblog.com

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm heading to London later this week, and hoping to visit some fabric shops while over there. The limited range in this country can be really annoying although I've bought some good fabric over eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hannah22

Anyone ever used any of the online fabric stores based in the UK? Looking on cheapfabrics.co.uk and fabricuk at the moment - not sure if they are any good? There's nothing in Dublin at the moment - even Murphy Sheehy doesn't have anything decent....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just an update on my trip to London. I paid a visit to Goldhawk Road (accessible via Goldhawk Road or Shepard's Bush on the Hammersmith Line or via Shepard's Bush on the Central Line). At least 10 fabric shops, mainly all run by Sikhs (spelling) or Indian. Fantastic choice and selection. I think I spent approximately €50 and got

2m fine wool suiting (pants for the other half) - £15
    2m printed satin (skirt possibly) - £6
    3m printed cotton (50's type dress) - £6
    3m linen twill flecked with gold (a skirt, maybe a suit if I can squeeze it) - £9

Well recommended if anyone is in London

• Advertisement

Oh cool! And with the current exchange rate even better. Thanks for the tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cacac

tips idea:
    for those who don't need huge pieces of fabrics.sometime check in Penny, on the rack offer, often there is cloth at 1€. Just check if any of those cloth are made with a fabric you like and then look for the bigger size. then you have to
    unstitch the piece but still a very good bargain from time to time, i use those often.:D

http://www.chaoticcacac.canalblog.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 laura flanagan

hi does anyone know where i can get illuminous (if that is how u spell it) net tulle hickys only do 3 colours in tulle if anyone could help me out asap id really appreciate it thanks :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Try upstairs in the Dublin Wollen Mills on the Quays just by the Ha'penny Bridge on corner of Liffey st. Its where i always get my neon materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

Theres TWI on Mountjoy Square, its huge and quite intimidating but has a lot more to offer than most of the other shops around Dublin. Doesnt look much like a shop from the outside and you may have to ring the bell.
    Directions from city centre: Go up Gardiner Street past the Hill 16 Pub, take a right onto Mountjoy Sq, walk to the end of that side of the square and turn left, TWI is about halfway down that side of the square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stitchlily

The Patchwork Society pretty much know where to get everything fabric wise in Ireland. If you are not in a rush, find a local group, and ask them.
    www.irishpatchwork.ie

Here's a few more...

www.dressfabricdirect.ie
    www.threadsofgreenfabrics.com
    www.fabricsireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Anouck

I went to TWI fabrics ireland and it doesn't look like a shop. it looks like something for wholesale and not for individuals. is it the case or it just looks impressive ?
    thanks.

The sales outlet is on Mountjoy Square, and the wholesale part is on Parnell Street. Thats the info they gave me when I emailed them. I've never actually been in it, as they do mail order. I think they are the biggest fabric suppliers in the country. If in doubt, give them a ring first. Tel: 01 8553777

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FICOCO

stitchlily wrote: »
    The sales outlet is on Mountjoy Square, and the wholesale part is on Parnell Street. Thats the info they gave me when I emailed them. I've never actually been in it, as they do mail order. I think they are the biggest fabric suppliers in the country. If in doubt, give them a ring first. Tel: 01 8553777

Hi Stitchlily,really sorry to jump in but I think it's the other way around.

The retail outlet is Fabric select on parnell street and the wholesalers is on mountjoy square. I've been dealing with them since college and I find TWI great, provided I know what I am looking for. It's bewildering otherwise.
    The shop on parnell street is a good place to start. TWI on mountjoy sq are used to the trade but will sell to anyone. I've even brought in a gang of my students and they were happy to help us find what we wanted. They can order literally any fabric you want from around the world but it can be very hard to choose from sample books. Great place for equipment too and excellent quality real leather which I haven't found anywhere else in Dublin.

I find threads of green really great for felt. Much cheaper than others in town. I've recently discovered the silk room at RoisinCross silks. go to www.Silks.ie The quality is second to none.
    Hope this is of some help to others on the forum.
    Happy sewing!
    Ficoco.

Sorry, got them mixed up. At least they are not far from each other!!

Thanks for the silk link, just had a look, very tempting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FICOCO

Yes..try visiting the showroom..she has some gorgeous fabrics! I could do some serious damage in that shop!! ps if you go bring cash they don't take plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Dunno if you've tried Michael Guiney's but I've seen fabric in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hoopygirl1

Does anyone know of any fabric suppliers in that sell lycra on a roll. ie by the yard???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shane_oh4

hoopygirl1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any fabric suppliers in that sell lycra on a roll. ie by the yard???

yeah i'd like to know this too. Anyone know where the best place to get stretchy material would be? lycra or otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hoopygirl1

found some in hickeys onhenry st. But at 17.95 per metre it's quite pricey, they have a variety of bright colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mac13

If u are willing to do the drive Craftswoman in kilroot industrial estate (Carrickfergus) is well worth a trip. They do all sorts of dress making fabrics and every pattern book or sewing accessory you can think of! They are always full of advice and very helpful anytime I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curtainpoles

i dont know ho wfar your willin gotgo but i know of a really good fabric stall at clonmel indoor market its on sundays. she has a HUGE amount of fabric and its all for dressmaking! she does all the different trimmings/buttons/lace/silk etc i know becouase my friends a dressmaker and she said this woman is waaaay cheaper than the shops..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 widervis

There's a great new fabric shops in Ireland. They sell really good dress fabric and unusual household fabric. Not expensive and they sell on line www.theclothshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 widervis

There's a great new fabric shops in Ireland. In Limerick. They have really good dress fabric and unusual household fabric. They also sell online www.theclothshop.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

widervis wrote: »
    There's a great new fabric shops in Ireland. They sell really good dress fabric and unusual household fabric. Not expensive and they sell on line www.theclothshop.ie

Wow :pac: Those prices are seriously good! Thank you SO much for this link, they'll definitely be hearing from me!

And holy smokes, they stock Colette patterns - how cool is that? :D

Advertisement