Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machine Knitting

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mag123

Laurenisme wrote: »
    Hi there.

I would definately be interested in this but as i live probably a large distance from everybody else, i might be able. Where are you based. If it was in dublin or kildare i might be able to go when i head to my family home.

or I live in donegal on case you live anywhere close to their.

Lauren
    Hi Lauren,
    Thank you for your reply, I live here in kildare . I teach crochet hand/machine knitting on a regular basis. Do you have a machine, I am also a agent for Silver knitting and Sewing machines. If you would like to get in touch you can personal message me and I will get in touch with you. Regards Margaret

Hi all just reading the posts , I supply machine knitting wool on 500gm cones in superwash, acrylic for baby wear and also cotton. I also stock a variety yarn for hand knitting. If anyone wants accessories for machines or buy a new machine I can supply.
    as well as classes. Margaret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

mag123 wrote: »
    Hi all just reading the posts , I supply machine knitting wool on 500gm cones in superwash, acrylic for baby wear and also cotton. I also stock a variety yarn for hand knitting. If anyone wants accessories for machines or buy a new machine I can supply.

Hi mag1234

Just a friendly warning, we do not allow direct selling/advertising on this forum as per the charter. Please have a read of it and refrain from posting only to advertise your goods/services.

Thanks,
    Cork_girl

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

ooops Mags123, I would be interested in prices, postage costs etc. can you PM more details?

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Hi mag1234

Just a friendly warning, we do not allow direct selling/advertising on this forum as per the charter. Please have a read of it and refrain from posting only to advertise your goods/services.

Thanks,
    Cork_girl
    Just new to the site So sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

mag123 wrote: »

this is useful to know, margaret, there aren't so many suppliers of Machine Knitting accessories in Ireland, as far as I can see, at least.
    i'm a bit away from you, i'm in limerick, but it's not too far up the road if i really needed something,
    thanks
    liz

would you possibly have an idea of a website or pattern company that woulld do more modern kinds of jumpers like a womens tight fitted one.

hi Lauren,
    may i suggest the Ravelry site for help with both machine and hand knitting queries, advice, free patterns, huge bank of resources, some free, some you pay for, downloads and at least 4000 knitters on it, albeit mostly handknitters,
    there's a Machine Knitters group on Ravelry, and a very helpful group of people and photos of their machine knit projects (FO and WIP, ie finished objects and work in progress),
    i have learnt lots there,
    try this: http://www.ravelry.com/ and
    http://www.ravelry.com/groups/machine-knitting,
    "A place to discuss machine knitting where machine knitters of all persuasions are welcome",

ps Winding the wool over the wax onto the woolwinder means also that the wool has even tension and you can feed it from the inside of the 'yarn-cake' you get when you wind the wool with the winder, also called Central Pull,
    as opposed to using wool from a normal ball of wool that you would use for handknitting, (a) it's not waxed and will not machine knit as well as waxed wool and (b) the ball will inevitably jump around and be under uneven tension and cause difficulties in the machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenisme

duckling10 wrote: »
    hi Lauren,
    may i suggest the Ravelry site for help with both machine and hand knitting queries, advice, free patterns, huge bank of resources, some free, some you pay for, downloads and at least 4000 knitters on it, albeit mostly handknitters,
    there's a Machine Knitters group on Ravelry, and a very helpful group of people and photos of their machine knit projects (FO and WIP, ie finished objects and work in progress),
    i have learnt lots there,
    try this: http://www.ravelry.com/ and
    http://www.ravelry.com/groups/machine-knitting,
    "A place to discuss machine knitting where machine knitters of all persuasions are welcome",

ps Winding the wool over the wax onto the woolwinder means also that the wool has even tension and you can feed it from the inside of the 'yarn-cake' you get when you wind the wool with the winder, also called Central Pull,
    as opposed to using wool from a normal ball of wool that you would use for handknitting, (a) it's not waxed and will not machine knit as well as waxed wool and (b) the ball will inevitably jump around and be under uneven tension and cause difficulties in the machine...

Hi Duckling 10.

I used Raverly before, i must get back on to it (Haven't been knitting in a few months). Yay i had some succesful knitting over the weekend after i eventually figured out what tention the wool needed. However i have found that it can be very akward to machine knit ribbing, you have to knit the whole thing and then unravel where you want ribbing. Is there some easier way to do this without a pattern card, im not even sure if you can do it with a pattern card.

One thing i have found is that the carraige can still be hard to full especially towards the end of the row, even after messing with the tension and using the wax on the wool.

Im machine knitting some squares for a blanket so that i can get used to the machine as well as have something useful to use. The problem is that i don't have any pattern cards and the purl side and plain side is very boring. Is there anything else i could do to make it more interesting. Even an indiction to a website that would give me tips for such squares would be great.

Thanks for all your help. I'll eventually get the hang of it.

Hello Everybody,

I just bought some pattern cards for my knitting machine but i didn't realise that they don't automatically come pre punch. Such a pain especailly seeing as i don't have a proper thing to punch the cards with.

I was wondering is there something else that i could use to punch out the holes, i dont particualry wont to go and buy a punch seeing as they are quiet expensive. Ive seen them for about €30, but as well seeing that i have just spent money on buying some pattern cards and then realising that i already had that set. (also not punch).

oh and seeing as i have a knitmaster machine would i have to buy a knitmaster punch? I think i might have to buy one that allows for 24 stitches, i dont really understand. i thought you just punch one hole at a time but i guess maybe not.

Thanks for your help,

Lauren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

God that's a pain, are there no holes in the sheets at all or just no holes along the edge?
    Do you have a link?

No there are no hole in it at all, and whats worse i have two of the same bloody pattern.

I think the way it might go is that i have to buy some plastic blank cards and transfer them that way. its quite expensive when you put it all together.

hi, lauren,
    so what is it you have, a packet of blank punchcards, with no holes punched in them at all?
    i do not know really what to advise you to do, have you searched on youtube for tutorials in preparing punchcards for your type of machine, youtube can be very good.
    regards
    liz:)

No there are no hole in it at all, and whats worse i have two of the same bloody pattern.

I think the way it might go is that i have to buy some plastic blank cards and transfer them that way. its quite expensive when you put it all together.

I have seen blank punch cards before, with holes in them, never knew what they were for, that could be it.

I just found out on Raverly that those paper patterns what i bought are practically useless. Only used for figuring out which holes to punch out on the vinyl cards that you use in the machine.

Hi Clooney George,

I recievd an email that you had posted here but the message does not seem to be showing up for me.

Do you live in Letterkenny. At the moment i need to get a new thumb screw for the sinker arm before i can get back to using the knitmaster.

just to make sure are you offering me a lesson in learning how to use the machine?
    and how much would that cost?

Lauren

• Advertisement

Hi Laurenisme

Clooney George's post has been deleted as it was spam.

Cork_girl

ah i see. Thanks for telling me.

Lauren

hi everyone,
    how's the machine knitting going?
    I bought a secondhand Brother Chunky machine and ribber this past summer. Sadly I have not yet had the time to get the machine fully set up and actually going. sigh...
    I noticed in September in the booklet of continuing education courses that there was a Machine Knitting course being given in the Limerick Senior College, which amazingly is the same place as mentioned in the very first post in this very thread. Unfortunately, i couldn't sign up for that either, due to lack of time again.
    Here's a link to the Limerick Senior College (now known as Limerick College of Further Education apparently) website to the information about the course:

http://www.lcfe.ie/EVENING-PROGRAMMES/Parttime-Courses--Art,-Beauty,-Craft,-Leisure--(1)/Knitwear-Design---Machine-Knitting---NEW-FOR-JAN-2.aspx

not sure if this is of any use to anyone, but wouldn't it be great to be able to take the course and learn more about our machines!
    and there is also a continuation course in Machine Knitting, drool......

i hope ye are getting to grips with your machines, i can only wish for more time at some point to ba able to set the machine up and get started properly!
    I'm a bit daunted at the prospect of setting up machine and ribber!
    There is a man who used to service knitting machines in Shannon, who has already helped me, i bought new Sponge bars from him and he serviced the machine too. So if i get stuck, I know who to go to!
    regards
    duckling
    ps i'm off to start a thread about spinning , if anyone is interested...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Hi duckling10
    That course in Limerick Senior sounds good. I have a Silver Reed LK150, which I bought 2 years ago. So far I have only done small items on it, and would love to learn to do a bit more. If they run the course again in the New Year, I would definitely sign up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liadainb

i do knitting machine classes in rathcoole,just off the n7 to dublin- so anyone beginning or needing a refresher course can contact me by PM for further details:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 fabrico

Hi
    I have just started to use my machine again after awhile.

I did a bout 2 rows and now it is jammed.

I used to know how to release the carriage, but just cant remember.

Can anyone help ?:confused:

can you unscrew the 2 knobs by the handle and lift the carriage off? Then i usually snip the yarn and pull it clear and put everything back together and kint the yarn back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fabrico

Thank you. I have it sorted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Great to see some of machine knitters alive :)

All questions here been answered so I just show few things I've made on my machine:

Miittenblueandred.jpg
    (made two pairs, borrowed one from each for foto)

Green-greyvestmeon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Hi all machine knitters, just to keep the thread going as I would have saved myself a lot of time and phone calls looking for a wool supplier if I had checked here first.. I have now thankfully found both and am the owner of a shiny new sponge bar..

pm me if anyone needs details..

A new super-thread was opened for all knitting related posts - here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056194624&page=34

Thread locked :) All discussions welcome on the super thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement