Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any knitters out there?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rabalder

one more thing !
    their is a irish knitters group on yahoo.com groups.
    Also their is a city centre meet up on the 1st and 3rd sat of every month in the curved street cafe, from 12-2p.m

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

fjon wrote: »
    Just wondering - is everyone who answered this thread a girl?
    I was taught to knit when I was in primary school. We had recorder once a week and knitting once a week. Everyone, boy or girl, eventually managed to knit a scarf.
    I couldn't for the life of me remember how to do it now, but there must be one or two guys out there who can? Perhaps the stigma attached to a guy knitting is too great though :confused:

My grandmother taught at a boys school in NZ. When she was the arts & crafts teacher she taught all the boys to knit. At the schools anniversary following her retirement, a past pupil who was one of NZs top buisnessman, came up to her and thanked her for teaching him to knit! He used it as a stress releif from work!

Loretta wrote: »
    Good on you. I admire anyone who lives what they believe. What is possum yarn? I'm Australian and I've never heard of it. Like angora maybe??

A New Zealand solution to Australian Pests!!!! :D
    Since you lot sent them nasty little creatures over to destroy our trees and keep us awake jumping on tin roofs anoying the dogs... We figured we would make something useful out of them!!!!
    They shear them using a little machine similar to a woodworking lath to hold them by there legs and shave away!!!!
    They are willing to shave ANY Ozzie they get their hands on..... Especially at the Rugby World Cup!!!!!! :D;):D

Seriously though,
    I stumbled over this thread while looking for a pattern idea. I have just started knitting again after 20years!!! Today I have just finnished a jacket for a 3year old! (Go me! Only took 9months!!! lol)
    I have now been requested by a 10year old to knit a scarf. He would love a Leinster one. I have never knitted a scarf before, so not sure where to start. I was thinking of just stocking stitching one in blue with the word Leinster in White in the middle of it, but not sure how to do the ends or how to stop it from curling up on itself. Also not sure if I need to to a double width and sew the length together or just knit single width. Any advise or patterns appreciated!
    Thanks
    Kiwipower!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Hi, I am new enough to knitting. Have knit a scarf and a hat so far so very very new!! I have some wool I want to use up and was thinking of doing an ear warmer thing (hat without a top if you know what I mean). A lot of the patterns seem to use circular needles whereas I sort of just want to use what I have, as the idea is to use up the wool, not to buy more things. Should I just knit it without a pattern or does anyone have any ideas of good stitch to use for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bee30

There's a free pattern on www.knitty.com called Calorimetry (www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html) which is knit flat. The only thing is that it uses short rows (which are easier than they sound!) to shape it. You can find tutorials on youtube for short rows. Another useful resource is www.ravelry.com. You can sign up there for free and there is a pattern search option. There are plenty of free patterns on there too. Hope this helps.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Thanks for that, got one from ravelry, just finished it and it's exactly what I wanted :-) Looking forward to warm ears tomorrow!!

I've been looking for a pattern for a cardigan. A lot of the ones I have seen are either very difficult or very old fashioned (I am only in my late 20's and want it to wear myself). I have seen bought cardigans that are obviously easy to knit but just can't find patterns. I am looking for something longish, past the bum to put it bluntly! A very basic pattern as it will be my first non-accessory to knit. I think I want something that is basically the same for most of the pattern if that makes sense. I know this is a bit vague, I have looked and can't find what I want at all. I kind of want it just straight down, slouchy kind of style. Any help would be appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bee30

I've only been knitting for less than a year and only tackling my first garment now (a jumper) so I'm not sure how much help I will be but again I'd recommend a search on Ravelry. This is a quick on that I did for an easy level cardigan: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#photo=yes&view=captioned_thumbs&query=cardigan&availability=free&difficulties=1%7C2&fit=adult%2Bfemale&sort=best
    There are a lot of filters on the side panel which you can use to narrow your search.

What you might look at for your first garment is a top down raglan cardi which you can adjust length etc as you knit. There are a few books out there on the topic which might be useful.

Have a look at some of the forums on ravelry which might be more helpful!! There are irish knitters group which are all lovely and helpful or "Patterns" is one of the main 6 boards and if you post there you're bound to find an answer.

I'm on Ravelry as Bee30 too so if you find my project page there are a list of groups there which you might find useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭boffin54321

join www.ravelry.com, very useful site for all knitters getting together. My group is "stitched up in Sallins" based in Kildare.

Advertisement