Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any knitters out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭braceface

Hi Laura
    If you scroll back through this thread there's a few recommendations:
    Hickey's on Henry street, downstairs has a good range
    Bernina on Parnell Street is a nice little shop with an amazing range and a lovely lady who sits and knits all day
    Both of these are in the City Centre of Dublin
    Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laurac2005

Thank you!

Laura x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Loretta wrote:
    Good on you. I admire anyone who lives what they believe. What is possum yarn? I'm Australian and I've never heard of it. Like angora maybe??
    Yarn made from the fur of one of these guys:
    11.jpg
    I'm not joking!!
    The probably brush them (like angora) rather than shear them.

laurac2005 wrote:
    Hi,

Sorry to infiltrate your forum, but I'm visiting Belfast, Dublin and Limerick next month and am desperate to find out where the yarn shops are!

I've heard about Springwools, but can anyone recommend any others?

Thanks!

Laura x
    In Limerick there's Lena's on William Street and then there's the Singer shop very close by in Fox's Bow. Lena's has a better selection but Lena and most of her staff are total hustlers and will hard-sell the life out of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

do they have to kill them to get the wool?!

• Advertisement

snorlax wrote:
    do they have to kill them to get the wool?!
    I have no idea. My instinct is that they brush them, like how they make angora. It makes no difference to a vegan either way.

i'm not a vegetarian, that picture's a bit gross though!

are you making anything with it at the mo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Charis

Just to let you know there are clubs meeting in Dublin for knitters. I took up knitting a year ago when a friend started a club. I know there are a few clubs meeting throughout Dublin. One is a stitch and bitch club like the books. I just knit scarves the only hat I made was a flop! Happy knitting:)

I didn't know there were knitting clubs in Dublin. Do you have any other details? where, when etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gaffney

Hi, I just stumbled on this site when looking for directions to Springwools as I too am an addicted knitter. It seems this place is well worth a visit. My biggest problem is actually finding modern patterns - I have yet to come accross a pattern for a funky jumper or jacket, all those tivoli patterns are just awful. I'd appreciate any help with this.

• Advertisement

woman's weekily often has pattern designs in it at the back, you could go into a bookshop and buy a book of them to get a good selction or you could try searching for patterns on yahoo's geocities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Charis

There is a club meeting at Moda cafe in Rathmines on Tues. btwn 7-9. Some of those ladies are part of another club and could give more details. I will ask Tues. if I am there.

Any news on the knitting clubs?? After finishing my Christmas projects I'm at a loss where to pick up again...back to dolls, try something new? anybody expecting babies?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Gaffney wrote:
    Hi, I just stumbled on this site when looking for directions to Springwools as I too am an addicted knitter. It seems this place is well worth a visit. My biggest problem is actually finding modern patterns - I have yet to come accross a pattern for a funky jumper or jacket, all those tivoli patterns are just awful. I'd appreciate any help with this.

I like www.knitty.com, i've yet to actual produce anything but i flick through the free patterns there and reading through them they're very clear and easy to follow. Lovely clear photos as well.

There's also the Stitch and Bitch books, i got the first one in anthology books in meeting house square in temple bar, haven't really seen them anywhere else. Seriously funky patterns.
    http://www.bust.com/knithappens/

However, they're American orientated, so it can be a bit of a pain figuring out which brands of wool on sale here match the brands they mention.

There's always the Rowan Big Knits patterns, i've done a few hats of theirs and there's patterns for some lovely big cardigans - and the chunky wool of theirs knits up incredibly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

knitting................nice.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 knitnight

Here's a bit of info on knitting clubs
    Knitter's Night Out meets every Tuesday at MODa Coffee in Rathmine's - downstairs. www.dublin.ie/knitting Another meets at Costa Coffee in Santry on Thursday nights. email is olannban@dublin.ie Both start at 7pm and go for a few hours.
    Stitch N' Bitch meets once a month at the Central Hotel, Library Bar upstairs. Check out www.groups.yahoo.com/group/StitchnBitchIE Hope this helps. Happy knitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

used to knit when I was younger did a bit of weaving myself also,
    Yes I am a 22 year old male

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lilaa

You could also check out this new site...

http://olannban.wordpress.com/

... which lists knitting groups and yarn shops by province.

Very handy as a resource for us undersupplied knitters :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

I love to knit! I was really into sock knitting for a while, but the real small needles started to hurt my hands, so I had to move back up to larger work.

Sock in progress

Mohair sweater

Slipstitch scarf and mittens.

Tabi socks

This is Knit is a newly launched yarn shop trading at the Blackrock market every Saturday and Sunday and soon to open an online shop.

They sell Louisa Harding, Noro, Debbie Bliss and are soon to stock Rowan and Lorna's Laces.

They also sell Addi Knitting Needles which you can't get anywhere else in Ireland.

www.thisisknit.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Is that blackrock in Dublin or blackrock in Cork?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i presume dublin, there's no market in blackrock that i know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭GoldieBear

Knitting is great, but i havent gone past the plain/purl phase. I've one jumper finished and another nearly there and the first jumper turned out fairly decent (no dropped stitches unlike my earlier efforts!) I'd love to learn new stitches but i'm a lefty and i find it hard to pick up. I'd really like to learn an aran stitch to liven up the dull jumpers!

I am a lefty too!!

My mother used knit for blarney woollen mills and she was a lefty. She used make their arans.

I'll see if she has any patterns that would be easy to teach you, and PM you if she does.

Thanks Tree.

Sorry, it's Blackrock, Co. Dublin. There's also a Blackrock in Co. Louth and probably a few more out there that I don't know of so I really should have specified :o

For anyone looking to move beyond plain and purl I find the Stitch n Bitch books are quite good. Very clear instructions and plenty of patterns to try out your new techniques on :D

Thanks for clearing it up. I suspected Dublin, and after Tree posted, i really suspected that it was Dublin, but thanks for specifying it anyway now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i run a knitting group on alternate sundays as well (well i say run, it's kinda taken on a life of its own now but i was the one who started it). it's usually in one of the members' houses, but complete strangers are welcome - pm me if interested.

i mainly knit jumpers and scarves, though i recently made the stitch n bitch cat basket for my parents' cat. made him the mouse as well which he went totally insane for. currently i'm working on a hoodie but i'm having a terrible time finding the right yarn for it - a return to springwools is definitely called for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Absolutely love knitting, it's really relaxing and you can knit and watch telly at the same time! I got lovely denim effect thread in Cork and i'm in the middle of doing a cardi at the moment. Hopefully by the time it's finished , cardi's will be fashionable once again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Absolutely love knitting, it's really relaxing and you can knit and watch telly at the same time! I got lovely denim effect thread in Cork and i'm in the middle of doing a cardi at the moment. Hopefully by the time it's finished , cardi's will be fashionable once again!

Whoops I always wear cardis! I like knitting in the winter but I never feel like it in the summer. The wool just feels too... woolly. It 's great to actually be doing something while you're watching the telly though.

• Advertisement

Hi Jane,

You could always try knitting with some of the cotton or cotton blends that are out there... I think I'd go nuts if I didn't have something to knit (even in summer).

Just in case anyone is interested, the This is Knit website has its own discussion forum for Irish knitters.

www.thisisknit.ie/forum

Lilaa

Advertisement