Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Do you believe any of them are effective without a complete redesign of the slaughterhouses and processes.

Honestly, I’ve no idea. I know nothing about the industry and I know little about this virus. But painting owners as pantomime villains who have completely disregarded public health to line their own pockets seems a bit simplistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

DeanAustin wrote: »
    By all accounts, there have been extensive measures implemented in meat factories. Stop polluting the discussion with supposition and hyperbole.

Meat factories are a genuine source of these new clusters, and they consist of in many cases foreign workers who are working very closely next to each other, thats even been said by people who work there, that 100% social distancing just isnt possible, given the nature of the work that goes on there.

I find it very surprising that the owners can get away with simply doing "a deep clean", which is a fuzzy description anyway, and then open as usual the next morning. They clearly couldnt give a fcuk about public health as long as the meat is rolling out the door, and since I have yet to see any teeth from the HSE and these agencies that threaten "severe sanctions" on businesses who flout the guidelines, i dont blame them for not caring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Then I'm sure as all resources are being thrown at this, the area of lock down will be quickly refined down over the course of the next few days? No? Didn't think so. IMO my point still stands, no intelligence to this plan.

We're like a cancer patient still getting chemotherapy when the cancer is localised and can be cut out with a scalpel. The mistake here is having an arbitrary larger lock down area with weak enforcement. We should be smart and surgical about this with maximum enforcement.

It may well be refined. We don't know. This is the first local lockdown that's had to be imposed and we'll learn from it.

It's not a simple solution and evidently a lot of people will be pissed off no matter what decision is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

It’s not stupidity. You may not agree with it and there may be other options but there is a logic to it.

We don’t have the following data to hand:

1. Where do the infected people live?
    2. Where do the people they have been in contact with live?

I also have never tried managing populations before. So you’ve got to consider the above two points and also make this easy to understand for the general population.

You have a decent argument but dismissing the current lockdown as “stupidity” just undermines that argument.

I expect better from our government. Some personal information about me - my other half is from Hong Kong, so I was being personally lectured on this and getting information way before any lock down in this country on how Hong Kong has been handling it. All I'm saying is, there is no vaccine currently and even the people behind the most promising vaccine candidates say there is a possibility we may never have an effective vaccine. So we need to learn to be smarter and faster about this.

If we did take county borders as the starting point, then we have to move faster with contact tracing and be a bit more intelligent and dynamic about where the lock downs actually occur. But all I see from our government is a well intentioned monolithic approach. We could be dealing with this for years, we need to be better. That is all I want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

By all accounts, there have been extensive measures implemented in meat factories. Stop polluting the discussion with supposition and hyperbole.

Whose accounts? Where?

At the least all these clusters in meat factories since the start of the pandemic right up to yesterday's indicate that whatever measures have been taken were inadequate.

We also have these accounts, granted almost three months old by now, that there were no measures and staff had to pay for their own PPE: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/14/everyones-on-top-of-you-sneezing-and-coughing-life-inside-irelands-meat-plants-covid-19

Honestly, I’ve no idea. I know nothing about the industry and I know little about this virus. But painting owners as pantomime villains who have completely disregarded public health to line their own pockets seems a bit simplistic.
    You are naive. It isn't just a problem with slaughterhouses in Ireland but elsewhere too. The German meat processors were just as feckless and hotspots are around their factories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The problem is the minimum wage sweat shops in Ireland’s meat factories but rather than just close them until they conform the government protect Larry Goodman and other backers by closing three counties of Kildare , laois and Offaly instead .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

gv6jv6h58rf51.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

WJZdzbq.jpg

Is that a photo of a 1940`s concentration camp? if it is it`s absolutely disgraceful that you should even try to make a comparison between that and the situation in the midland counties. You should hang your head in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I've seen the name Larry Goodman mentioned by a few people. Don't know him but see he involved in the meat business. By reading what people are saying here he comes across as a particularly nasty individual. Looks like he'd sell his grandmother if he thought he'd make money out of the deal.

Funny thing is that he has nothing to do with any of the facilities that have caused this lock down.

But some people get their views from rag tabloids and mimic fools such as Paul Murphy and his type and anyone earning decent money is not tolerated despite Murphy coming from a well off background and fee paying education.

Goodman is a big operation. His company makes about 2%-3% net profit.

Compare that to the profits of Apple, or penny's, or tk maxx and its miniscule, but because his operation is huge, it's a large amount in physical cash.

Still miniscule in comparison to some others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Darc19 wrote: »
    Funny thing is that he has nothing to do with any of the facilities that have caused this lock down.

The rules clearly state anything and everything has to be the fault of at least one of; Larry Goodman, Dennis O'Brien, Bill Gates or George Soros

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Is that a photo of a 1940`s concentration camp? if it is it`s absolutely disgraceful that you should even try to make a comparison between that and the situation in the midland counties.

Ah don't be so sensitive, if you don't find it funny just refrain from laughing.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    County lines allow no buffer for people in unaffected areas like Maynooth, Celbridge and Leixlip from Timahoe.

Why are people in those towns with no problems being left exposed to people from where the outbreak is?

They're not. There are restrictions (hence the thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Is that a photo of a 1940`s concentration camp? if it is it`s absolutely disgraceful that you should even try to make a comparison between that and the situation in the midland counties. You should hang your head in shame.

I'm pretty sure those are actors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What’ll they do if this lockdown doesn’t work?

• Advertisement

Whose accounts? Where?

At the least all these clusters in meat factories since the start of the pandemic right up to yesterday's indicate that whatever measures have been taken were inadequate.

We also have these accounts, granted almost three months old by now, that there were no measures and staff had to pay for their own PPE: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/14/everyones-on-top-of-you-sneezing-and-coughing-life-inside-irelands-meat-plants-covid-19

It’s been recommended by the government (https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/employersemployeesguidance/Interim%20Guidance%20COVID-19%20Meat%20Factories.pdf) that, for example, screens be erected between employees and people on here have confirmed that happened in some or all of the plants.

It seems that the measures weren’t effective and I’m not arguing that point. It’s the cartoonish supervillain portrayal of the owners that I think is unhelpful.

...and yet he has a net worth of about 2.5 billion. You should learn that many companies decide via various legal means how much profit they declare and their corporation tax payments are based on their declared profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

hmmm wrote: »
    What are they looking for - parishes?

Counties make sense. Everyone knows what a county is and where the border is.

This is about risk reduction, not perfectly targeting exactly where the virus is.

Enfield in Meath is 12km from one of these clusters.No lockdown
    Maynooth is 20km away. In lockdown.
    I'd say by most peoples probabilities, enfield for example is in bigger danger.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

It's been removed. it was from a film.

But some people get their views from rag tabloids and mimic fools such as Paul Murphy and his type and anyone earning decent money is not tolerated despite Murphy coming from a well off background and fee paying education.

Compare that to the profits of Apple, or penny's, or tk maxx and its miniscule, but because his operation is huge, it's a large amount in physical cash.

Still miniscule in comparison to some others.

Is that true that Goodman hasn’t been linked? Jesus wept. Seen his name peddled around here as if he was shipping COVID ridden Eastern Europeans in from Texas to work for a handful of rice a day, chained to their work station and co-workers under perpetual threat of 20 lashes if they didn’t all while he twiddled his moustache and counted his €100 notes.

The debate on social media is poisonous.

• Advertisement

image.jpg
    move along. nothing to see here. there is not and has never been an incestuous relationship between the Meat Processors and Government.

move along. nothing to see here. there is not and has never been an incestuous relationship between the Meat Processors and Government.
    Graham wrote: »
    The rules clearly state anything and everything has to be the fault of at least one of; Larry Goodman, Dennis O'Brien, Bill Gates or George Soros

And Haughey, apologies I almost forgot

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

If you look at the border between Offaly and WestMeath it runs down the middle of the road in places.

It runs through the bar in Horseleap.

And Haughey, apologies I almost forgot

:rolleyes:

You'd excuse anything it appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

Absolute bollix, 48% of the cases are in Dublin, why aren't they locked down??

As a percentage of population, the amout of cases in Kildare, Laois and Offaly is massive compared to Dublin and its population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What role do supermarkets have in setting the price.
    I'm just thinking Germany had a similar issue with the processors.
    They have same supermarkets. Lidl and Aldi like.

Who bares more responsibility for this drive to the bottom?

I know the dairy farmers are broken by the supermarkets.

You'd excuse anything it appears.

Excuse what exactly.

Some connection you're come up with between Haughey, Coronavirus and an unrelated meat processor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It runs through the bar in Horseleap.

You know in a perfect world, with time for lots of planning, the authorities could consult geographical information systems, modeling, etc to map out a perfect lockdown zone. But they don't have time for that, they have to react quickly so the solution will not be perfect.

There will always be a few anomalies when reacting on the fly. Better this than complete inaction while a committee is setup to arrange public consultations and various proposals are mulled over for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Saw Garda tweeting about their checkpoint in Tullamore, are people not allowed to travel around their county now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Is that true that Goodman hasn’t been linked? Jesus wept. Seen his name peddled around here as if he was shipping COVID ridden Eastern Europeans in from Texas to work for a handful of rice a day, chained to their work station and co-workers under perpetual threat of 20 lashes if they didn’t all while he twiddled his moustache and counted his €100 notes.

The debate on social media is poisonous.

Didn’t take you long to add your own hyperbole. It’s easy to get sucked in isn’t it!

• Advertisement

Excuse what exactly.

Some connection you're come up with between Haughey, Coronavirus and an unrelated meat processor?

Yeah, Larry Goodman's company willingly voluntarily improved conditions and didn't endanger workers.

https://louthnow.ie/2020/03/25/abp-respond-to-80-worker-walkout-over-covid-19-fears/

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/health/coronavirus-covid19/2020/06/26/covid-19-cases-confirmed-at-county-meat-firm/

Kildare Laois Offally != Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭facehugger99

MadYaker wrote: »
    What’ll they do if this lockdown doesn’t work?

More lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

This is hard to bare. Happens far too often and makes me want to bear my soul. Bare with me now, well...unless you bearly care!

In this once off I forgive you caveat emptor, as the bottom at the end of the sentence obviously distracted you. :)

Rock77 wrote: »
    Didn’t take you long to add your own hyperbole. It’s easy to get sucked in isn’t it!

Bit of a difference between passing nonsense off as fact and exaggerating for effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They're not. There are restrictions (hence the thread).

There are no restrictions preventing people from infected areas of Kildare travelling to non-infected areas of Kildare.

Well done to all those who are responsible for public health, but refuse to protect the health of the public while proclaiming to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Bit of a difference between passing nonsense off as fact and exaggerating for effect.

Agreed, just funny how you complained about the hyperbole quite often before all of a sudden coming out with a splurge of it in one post!

Anyway I see your point..

Rock77 wrote: »
    Agreed, just funny how you complained about the hyperbole quite often before all of a sudden coming out with a splurge of it in one post!

Anyway I see your point..

Haha fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This might sound a bit outlandish but should Brady’s ham be now pulled from shelves or even boycotted?

Bradys Family Ham released a FAQ on Covid. But the answer below is a non-answer only going as far to say that the FSAI say there have been no reported cases of Covid linked to contamination of food
    Am I at risk of contracting Covid-19 by handling your product?
    All our products are produced to the highest standards following Food Safety Authority of Ireland guidelines. The FSAI reports that no reported cases of Covid-19 have been linked to contamination of food.
    Since the first cases of Covid-19 were identified in Ireland last February, we have operated with an abundance of caution and a rigorous and comprehensive health and safety policy has been implemented. Public health advice to all consumers is to maintain good health and safety practices, to regularly wash hands and follow the official guidance.
    https://www.bradyfamily.ie/covid-19-faq/

Even if there have been no reported cases I think their products should be taken off the supermarket shelves as a precaution. 80 people in their factory tested positive for the virus and the very products those employees produced are sitting on supermarket shelves nationwide right now. Even if the risk is tiny they still shouldnt be taking it just to keep selling their ham, its not worth it IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There are no restrictions preventing people from infected areas of Kildare travelling to non-infected areas of Kildare.

Well done to all those who are responsible for public health, but refuse to protect the health of the public while proclaiming to do so.

Maybe sometimes people need to behave responsibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

statesaver wrote: »

Part of the original announcement that racing would continue behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

More lockdown.

Indeed. As evidenced by the last “all in it together” one they don’t work. But let’s keep repeating it in the off chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Is the ham even held in quarantine for a few days before it goes to the shops? Ham lasts weeks unopened before it goes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Maybe sometimes people need to behave responsibly

Of course they do.

But it seems our government can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Is the ham even held in quarantine for a few days before it goes to the shops? Ham lasts weeks unopened before it goes off.

Hasn’t the whole surface transmission theory been debunked? Heard on radio last week virus only survives on a surface for 5 minutes. So could the meat not be sold anyway.

All of tHat was more of a question to anyone here that knows for certain than a statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I quarantine all my ham

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

What role do supermarkets have in setting the price.
    I'm just thinking Germany had a similar issue with the processors.
    They have same supermarkets. Lidl and Aldi like.

I know the dairy farmers are broken by the supermarkets.

Consumers. You, me and all the social media warriors and barstool experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

MadYaker wrote: »
    I quarantine all my ham

Amazing thread, isn't it. Plenty of great ideas here. I'm after kicking my ham out the door, better to find new safe home :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement