Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy gold in ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

adam88 wrote: »
    How sure are you thst you will be able to sell this easily if you needed to ???

From research and speaking to people, I’m of the opinion that it’s easy enough to buy gold and silver, it’s the selling of it that’s the problem

Silver and gold are very liquid assets. I can sell them on Ebay or other eCommerce websites and I can sell them to Precious metal dealers in Ireland (NationalGold,Merrion Gold etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alek4max123

I'm planning to open account in BBP. Has anyone have referral code I could use for Ireland? for free silver coin. UK codes does not work for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I've asked this elsewhere and didnt get an answer so maybe here is a good option.

Is there any reason buying gold on Degiro or etoro is a bad idea vs investing in actual gold and having the hassle of keeping it or paying fees to keep it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

pepe00 wrote: »
    where to buy gold in ireland?

I mean as investment,

from bank ? how is that work?

Perth mint.

Also silver is better if you can.

And crypto is even more because it can't be confiscated by government and is liquid. But boomers will always go for the shiny rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Perth mint.

Also silver is better if you can.

And crypto is even more because it can't be confiscated by government and is liquid. But boomers will always go for the shiny rocks.

Why silver instead of gold

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hilarious how little thinking goes into these kind of statements. If they become interested in controlling it the absolutely can, since it ultimately relies on an underlying monetary system, break the link and crypto will be tulips in a matter of minutes.

Crypto is entirely dependent on perception a very dangerous thing to rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Hilarious how little thinking goes into these kind of statements. If they become interested in controlling it the absolutely can, since it ultimately relies on an underlying monetary system, break the link and crypto will be tulips in a matter of minutes.

Could the same not be said about currency. If the world economy decided in the morning the pound was worthless, what would the result be ??

Genuine question here. Also if everyone woke up and decided apple was worth next to nothing ??

Could the same not be said about currency. If the world economy decided in the morning the pound was worthless, what would the result be ??

There could be a run on any currency, that part is true, it's also why we prefer to strong economies and central banks to back up a currency when this happens.

Genuine question here. Also if everyone woke up and decided apple was worth next to nothing ??

But that really was not the point I was making, I was challenging the idea that governments can't control a crypto currency, where as in reality they absolutely can, should they decide to do so.

You accept payment in a crypto currency because you expect to be able to use it like any other currency - a store of wealth and the ability to use it to barter for goods and services you require at some point in time. To do this, you need to be able to convert it into the currency acceptable in the economy where you wish to buy goods or services.

If the ECB, the FED or more significantly the BIS needed to control the crypto currency the obvious way would be to restrict your ability to convert it into a traditional currency. If that happened, it value would drop very quickly.

If the use of cryto currencies continues to grow in the under world, then at some point it is reasonable to assume that governments will act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 setafa6876

testing

shss

• Advertisement

dff

searching...

huh

seek

and

and

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

watch out for fake gold bars

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    watch out for fake gold bars
    Tungsten rocks :)

You need to put in work to get more currency. The database is distributed globally. Yes, there is a connection to fiat but over time I think crypto will be more of it's own thing.

What I like about it is that:
    1. The government can confiscate your money
    2. It's easy to transact in without carrying around physical stuff.

If the ECB, the FED or more significantly the BIS needed to control the crypto currency the obvious way would be to restrict your ability to convert it into a traditional currency. If that happened, it value would drop very quickly.

If the use of cryto currencies continues to grow in the under world, then at some point it is reasonable to assume that governments will act.

You seem to think that converting into traditional fiat currency is the key to using crypto. I don't get that argument. You can buy goods using crypto without exchanging to fiat. The crypto itself has value.

I think the same way as they can't stop people from 3D printing hand guns they won't be able to stop the use of currencies. Especially now with satellite ISPs. And there's also stuff like tunneling so they can't see what you're doing over a network connection.

• Advertisement

You seem to think that converting into traditional fiat currency is the key to using crypto. I don't get that argument. You can buy goods using crypto without exchanging to fiat. The crypto itself has value.

Why are you willing to accept payment in crypto currency? Because you expect to be able to use it to pay for what you need later on and that includes the ability to convert it into the common currency of the market in which you want to make your purchases. Try paying for a bar of soap at the corner shop and see how far you get with dollars, yen or crypto...

Now if your ability to convert a crypto currency or any other one for that matter into whatever currency you need is restricted, how willing will you be to accept it as a general method of payment? Most likely you'll only accept an amount that you feel your are like to be able to use in the near future...

Your faith in crypto currency is entirely based on the fact that others have the same believe, nothing else. If that believe is shaken then you can expect that there will be major financial losses and the fact that it is entirely automated means that it will happen very quickly.

This is nothing knew, confidence in a currency has been an issue right back to Roman times, when the head of the emperor was put on coins. It's why the gold standard, central banks, various fiscal policies etc have evolved. Because we've been here before. In historical terms crypto is back in the middle ages, it's entire worth is based on nothing more than confidence.

Finance and investing in particular is a very strange field of endeavor, so much of it is based on human behavior and yet in constructing financial products it gets ignored or even worse is reduced to some kind of math formula that gives false confidence, which will fail in the end.

We have an abundance of knowledge and experience when it comes to currencies and yet we have people coming alone claiming that a currency has some kind of intrinsic value, when it reality all it enjoys is the confidence of the population at the time.

At one stage I did some consulting work for a jewelry manufacturing business and on another occasion for the precious metals department of a major Swiss bank. And when you do, one of the things that strikes you is how little they trust the metal - everything is tested and verified. And then we have individuals buying physical gold over the internet, when no means of verification, just confidence because some set of random individuals on the internet told them they did the same thing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

Governments could possibly restrict peoples ability to convert crypto into fiat currency through centralized exchanges like Kraken or coinbase. However, those types of exchanges are no longer the only game in town.

Decentralized applications like Bisq allow people to privately trade crypto and convert to fiat currencies using a number of different methods like "Face to face meets", SEPA transfers, Western Union and many others. Because the application acts as a decentralized exchange it cannot be frozen or taken down by a government or another malicious actor and trades are carried out on a p2p basis.

They cleverly use a multi-sig system to lock funds during trades and insure that both parties to a trade honor their part. There is too much to go into to explain it all here but anybody who is interested can learn more on the Bisq website where their documentation is published and they also have a great forum. There are also a few YouTube videos about it. But if you want to privately buy, sell or trade crypto then it is definitely worth a look.

https://bisq.network/

Advertisement