Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

where to buy gold in ireland?

  • 19-10-2011 12:48am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ pepe00


    where to buy gold in ireland?

    I mean as investment,

    from bank ? how is that work?


«1

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 irishh_bob


    pepe00 wrote: »
    where to buy gold in ireland?

    I mean as investment,

    from bank ? how is that work?

    google either goldcore or goldbank


  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ pepe00


    There are a couple of ways to invest in gold in Ireland or anywhere in the world for that matter. Through a bank is probably not the best option, if you bought it through a bank you'll find your directed towards an ETF, or an Exchange Traded Fund. These track the price of gold. I have an interest in the subject and have invested in physical gold and silver. Theres a site called www.goldandsilverinfo.com which is quite informative. Take a look at that, its pretty good.

    thank you.

    is this 100% safe to buy and store gold at these guys? are they some kind of bank or what? private or national?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ brimal


    I use BullionVault.

    It's highly reputable and you actually own your gold.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 newmug


    There are a couple of ways to invest in gold in Ireland or anywhere in the world for that matter. Through a bank is probably not the best option, if you bought it through a bank you'll find your directed towards an ETF, or an Exchange Traded Fund. These track the price of gold. I have an interest in the subject and have invested in physical gold and silver. Theres a site called www.goldandsilverinfo.com which is quite informative. Take a look at that, its pretty good.

    So how exactly did you go about it? And with who?


  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Finmix


    newmug wrote: »
    So how exactly did you go about it? And with who?

    There's an Irish Site, www.YourGoldFund.com that allows you to save in or trade gold as far I know. I haven't used them but looks like what you are looking for :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ stackerman


    Don't get involved with anyone, if the gold is not actually yours ie physical.

    There are companies, such as goldmoney where you buy and they store the physical for you, at a price in various locations (outside Ireland). A lot depends on the quantity and if you are happy to trust another party to store. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that companies may not be honourable. But if you have it stored in say the UK, and they do a 1930's confiscation, yours will go too. That may seem a long shot, but I'm not in the business of taking chances with my kids future. The Government have kindly done that already :mad:
    I buy for security of my savings, not to make a killing, so with that in mind - Why have someone else hold what's yours :confused:
    Why hold savings in a currency that is being debased ?

    Of coarse there is an issue on your end of security too.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 turbobaby


    Listen to Stackerman!


  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ p1 imp


    If anyone is intersted in buying gold I am selling some, here is the link to ebay

    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290675899685?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

    I intend to sell about 25% in the next few weeks to fund something else


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ clairedavies


    Finmix wrote: »
    There's an Irish Site, www.YourGoldFund.com that allows you to save in or trade gold as far I know. I haven't used them but looks like what you are looking for :)

    I have used this site, to buy, sell and save. Been very impressed with them. There is an option to take possession of gold bars but they dont encourage it. They will however put you in touch with their affiliate company who will give you a great deal and sell 1oz gold bars to the public (they specialise in trade so its very cheap in comparison to anyone else in Ireland that I could find).


  • Site Banned Posts: 1 johnyharman


    When we are interested to buy gold in Ireland, Many companies and banks are provided information regarding to buy gold. Some of the people likes gold is a tangible asset that will retain its value even if paper currency loses its value. A number of convenient ways are there to buy gold before we buy gold we must absorb the portfolio of the company, easy and quick response and secure also.


    gold investment
    gold invest


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭ Low Energy Eng


    p1 imp wrote: »
    If anyone is intersted in buying gold I am selling some, here is the link to ebay

    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/290675899685?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

    I intend to sell about 25% in the next few weeks to fund something else

    missed the auction, can you give me a price on each please


  • Site Banned Posts: 12 ✭✭✭ consultan


    its important to have your gold stored with one of the world gold council and member of the London Bullion Market, those are the guys who hold and look after most of the world gold.

    http://www.bullionvault.com/#securevault


    Since I started to listen to Robert Kiyosaki I tripled my money


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vlP7BaoERw&feature=related


    Nobody can look after your money better than yourself, we all need money education...


  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭ Low Energy Eng


    consultan wrote: »
    its important to have your gold stored with one of the world gold council and member of the London Bullion Market, those are the guys who hold and look after most of the world gold.

    http://www.bullionvault.com/#securevault

    The Rothschilds are involved with that company, as such I'd personally avoid
    consultan wrote: »

    Since I started to listen to Robert Kiyosaki I tripled my money

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vlP7BaoERw&feature=related

    Congrats to yourself and no doubt Robert is a rich man, he's doin something right, but he's still plugging property, I do agree with him on silver, but relying on rental checks every month might not be the best option, at the moment of course


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 duckysauce


    When we are interested to buy gold in Ireland, Many companies and banks are provided information regarding to buy gold. Some of the people likes gold is a tangible asset that will retain its value even if paper currency loses its value. A number of convenient ways are there to buy gold before we buy gold we must absorb the portfolio of the company, easy and quick response and secure also.


    gold investment
    gold invest

    BM baby


  • Site Banned Posts: 12 ✭✭✭ consultan


    The Rothschilds are involved with that company, as such I'd personally avoid
    Am not really bothered about the Rothschilds, they own the whole world with net assets more than 540 trillion pounds, unfortunately they are involved in everything even in weather tech now a days. probably there is an advantage for us that they r involved, because you buy directly from main supplier, but when you buy from other companies you pay more commissions for the middle man.


    Congrats to yourself and no doubt Robert is a rich man, he's doin something right, but he's still plugging property, I do agree with him on silver, but relying on rental checks every month might not be the best option, at the moment of course

    he actually started again with property after the crash, its a long term investment 10-20 years


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭ TiGeR KiNgS


    Mods - Can we put a floor on the number of posts please ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Joebobs


    i have gold and silver with bullionVault. i have considered withdrawing my gold c. 0.5kg in small bars but havent done it. believe there safe


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007


    Joebobs wrote: »
    i have gold and silver with bullionVault. i have considered withdrawing my gold c. 0.5kg in small bars but havent done it. believe there safe

    How are you going to be sure what you get is actually correct and even more important how are you going to convince a buyer what you are about to sell them is genuine?

    You can go into any bank on the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich and they will happily sell you any quantity of gold you want, go back the following morning and try and sell it back to them and you'll discover the realities of trying to dispose of physical gold - you either accept a big discount on it or wait weeks for it to be verified and even when it is it may not be the same quality as you bought - after all you did not verify the quality of what they sold you now did you.

    If you want to go with physical gold the only thing you can be sure of and is easy to dispose of are traditional gold coins: Helvetia 20chf, krugerrands, eagles etc...


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ JMMCapital


    Joebobs wrote: »
    i have gold and silver with bullionVault. i have considered withdrawing my gold c. 0.5kg in small bars but havent done it. believe there safe

    Better off buying gold and silver physically and storing it yourself, I bought a nice bit of silver back in June just before the rise. I'll be buying both silver/gold on a monthly basis as a hedge no matter the price.

    Websites i would recommend:
    https://www.europeanmint.com/ (0% vat on silver)
    https://www.celticgold.eu/ (0% vat on silver)
    https://www.suissegold.ch
    https://www.goldcore.com/ (Irish based)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭ Ginger83


    JMMCapital wrote: »
    Better off buying gold and silver physically and storing it yourself, I bought a nice bit of silver back in June just before the rise. I'll be buying both silver/gold on a monthly basis as a hedge no matter the price.

    Websites i would recommend:
    https://www.europeanmint.com/ (0% vat on silver)
    https://www.celticgold.eu/ (0% vat on silver)
    https://www.suissegold.ch
    https://www.goldcore.com/ (Irish based)

    Would it be a good long term thing for someone starting?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ JMMCapital


    Ginger83 wrote: »
    Would it be a good long term thing for someone starting?

    Always good to have a bit of gold/silver at least 5-10% of your portfolio, definitely a good long term idea. Recessions are inevitable they are cyclical after all and with gold being a good hedge against inflation its a great investment. I find it to be a great hobby as well collecting precious metals.

    looking into shares in Gold/Silver mining companies may also be a good idea, I'd also recommend looking into junior mining companies that have a market cap <500m, preferably canadian juniors they tend to have good returns.

    For example, during the financial crises of 2008 gold shot up to $869 an ounce, then by September 2011 gold hit it's all time high of $1,895 an ounce. (TheBalance)


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    Anything to be said for bullion by post?


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ JMMCapital


    Anything to be said for bullion by post?

    I bought my first piece of silver off them, the vat of 23% is a killer also there prices are a lot more higher than spot price for both silver/gold. celticgold or Europeanmint would be good alternatives (no vat) and closer to spot.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,206 ✭✭✭✭ dxhound2005


    JMMCapital wrote: »

    For example, during the financial crises of 2008 gold shot up to $869 an ounce, then by September 2011 gold hit it's all time high of $1,895 an ounce. (TheBalance)

    It is not suitable for small time savers. Someone who bought at the top of the market, would be sitting on a big loss now. Whereas a real life example of Prize Bonds made gains of €2,900 on €25K since 2011. Without any of the hassle involved in owning gold.


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ JMMCapital


    It is not suitable for small time savers. Someone who bought at the top of the market, would be sitting on a big loss now. Whereas a real life example of Prize Bonds made gains of €2,900 on €25K since 2011. Without any of the hassle involved in owning gold.

    You don’t buy at the top you buy throughout the market cycle, such as on a monthly/quarterly basis. Prize bonds at best offer 0.5% return gains way better alternative investments out there. It doesn’t really matter if your small time or not, gold is a great hedge against inflation and an extremely liquid asset. Well worth owning in my opinion


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,206 ✭✭✭✭ dxhound2005


    JMMCapital wrote: »
    You don’t buy at the top you buy throughout the market cycle, such as on a monthly/quarterly basis. Prize bonds at best offer 0.5% return gains way better alternative investments out there. It doesn’t really matter if your small time or not, gold is a great hedge against inflation and an extremely liquid asset. Well worth owning in my opinion

    But for small time savers who do not have a portfolio, with gold/silver making up 10%, a direct comparison with gold as a single product is fair. High net worth individuals can spread their money over different assets, and not worry about losing in the short term.


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ JMMCapital


    But for small time savers who do not have a portfolio, with gold/silver making up 10%, a direct comparison with gold as a single product is fair. High net worth individuals can spread their money over different assets, and not worry about losing in the short term.

    Well it doesn't have to psychically be gold the investor could buy 10% of mining stocks or ETFs that track gold/silver. There's plenty of cheap gold/Silver mining stocks out whether it be the more traditional big name mining companies or junior minors with a market cap <500m, great opportunities at the minute specially for junior minors.


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Ruraldweller56


    JMMCapital wrote: »
    I bought my first piece of silver off them, the vat of 23% is a killer also there prices are a lot more higher than spot price for both silver/gold. celticgold or Europeanmint would be good alternatives (no vat) and closer to spot.

    ?

    I've looked and you're looking at pretty much identical figures


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ JMMCapital


    ?

    I've looked and you're looking at pretty much identical figures

    They're not identical for example a 1 Oz 2019 silver Canadian coin would cost you 34.93 euro off BullionbyPost, on the other hand the same coin would cost 19 euro off Europeanmint and 19.65 euro with Celticgold.

    Gold is far more expensive on BBP as well, compared to the 2 alternative bullion dealers mentioned above. Only benefit with BBP is free shipping.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭ adam88


    JMMCapital wrote: »
    They're not identical for example a 1 Oz 2019 silver Canadian coin would cost you 34.93 euro off BullionbyPost, on the other hand the same coin would cost 19 euro off Europeanmint and 19.65 euro with Celticgold.

    Gold is far more expensive on BBP as well, compared to the 2 alternative bullion dealers mentioned above. Only benefit with BBP is free shipping.

    How sure are you thst you will be able to sell this easily if you needed to ???

    From research and speaking to people, I’m of the opinion that it’s easy enough to buy gold and silver, it’s the selling of it that’s the problem


Advertisement