Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network security Alarms

Options
  • 20-11-2019 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All,

Network security rep at the door tonight, with their latest deal.

basically 2 options, both 149eur up front. 3 year contract for monitoring is 30 a month, 2 year contract for monitoring is 35 a month

usually package window sensors, PIR cameras in 2 places.

Their selling point - you own the alarm after the contract is up. You can continue to use the app, and basically self monitor.

Anyone have any experience of this company? any feedback?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You might own the alarm at the end of the contract but you will be tied to Network for any parts replacements etc. And they will charge you nicely if you are no longer in contract.
    It's a very simple rule that applies across the industry. If it sounds too good to be true it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gygabyte

@KoolKid I was told by one of their sales people that their system can be monitored by other company, after the contract is up of course. Are they lying based on your knowledge of their systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AnthonyOD1987

i asked the same question and was told no other company could monitor their system outside the contract. they don't give access to their system to other companies to monitor alarms which made sense.

i asked the same question and was told no other company could monitor their system outside the contract. they don't give access to their system to other companies to monitor alarms which made sense.

I have in writing that the alarm can be monitored by other company outside contract and they can set the engineer code to whatever I wanted. Need to call out an engineer for that I’m sure it’s not free.

Confused now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

gygabyte wrote: »
    @KoolKid I was told by one of their sales people that their system can be monitored by other company, after the contract is up of course. Are they lying based on your knowledge of their systems?

Is it written anywhere the details and specification of the control equipment that they are planning on installing ?

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Is it written anywhere the details and specification of the control equipment that they are planning on installing ?

Not in detail.
    I have the list of sensors and that is is a RISCO alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Not in detail.
    I have the list of sensors and that is is a RISCO alarm.

There is a way in which Risco systems can be locked down to the original installer via software as opposed to an engineer code situation so as a fellow installer mentioned earlier you may have issues getting another company to work on the system or indeed getting it monitored elsewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They are technically correct. Anyone could connect their own dialler and monitor your alarm.
    The problem is their equipment and devices are on a closed protocol so an independent installer can not replace any parts.
    In this scenario being out of contract or having the engineer code is irrelevant.

KoolKid wrote: »
    They are technically correct. Anyone could connect their own dialler and monitor your alarm.
    The problem is their equipment and devices are on a closed protocol so an independent installer can not replace any parts.
    In this scenario being out of contract or having the engineer code is irrelevant.

I have asked more questions and got this answer:

---
    It’s a standard set-up the panel will only talk to its own sensors. It can be maintained by someone else, you completely own the equipment so you’re free to use someone else if you wished.
    ---

I have this in writing, so where's the catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

By far Phonewatch are the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

By far Phonewatch are the best

I presume we don't feed the troll!! :rolleyes:

---
    It’s a standard set-up the panel will only talk to its own sensors. It can be maintained by someone else, you completely own the equipment so you’re free to use someone else if you wished.
    ---

So the alarm they are selling on that offer is a RISCO Wicomm..

You really own at the end of the contract, but you own a Wiscomm hence the low price....

---
    ---

The catch is in the very clever marketing wording.
    The panel will only talk to its own sensors. Risco Wisdom is a standard system but some company's work on a closed protocol. Only them can supply/replace parts for their systems.

Again , if it sounds too good to be true it is.

The catch is in the very clever marketing wording.
    The panel will only talk to its own sensors. Risco Wisdom is a standard system but some company's work on a closed protocol. Only them can supply/replace parts for their systems.

Again , if it sounds too good to be true it is.

thanks that makes sense.
    I have a quote from other company and it is a Risco Agility. about 1300 euros for about 14 sensors.

KoolKid, would you recommend any installers in the Galway area? if so, could you PM me? Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

None of us can do that according to Boards rules

Check out PSA.gov.ie and pick up a couple of suppliers in your area

I'm getting some contradicting information from two installers.

1. is saying the communications module is tied to them and that anyway other monitoring stations will provide their own communications module if I choose to be monitored by someone else.

2. is telling me that if I choose to go with someone else, then the only thing to provide is the SIM card.

installer 1. provides their own app which they say is just a clone of RISCO one

installer 2. uses the app RISCO which is configured by them..

fair to assume installer 1. is installing stuff tied to them?
    the difference in price of the system itself between them is not huge. the monitoring of option 1 is way cheaper though...

any thoughts?

A clone of the risco app???
    I presume they mean the separate cloud connection used by systems which are tied to particular installers. If so you will be tied to them for service and parts also.

A clone of the risco app???
    I presume they mean the separate cloud connection used by systems which are tied to particular installers. If so you will be tied to them for service and parts also.

to be honest, I'm not sure.
    I was assured that wasn't the case, the hardware was not customized and parts could be sourced from any distributor of RISCO products.

it could be that RISCO allows to customise the look and feel of their app and that's fine. However, I was a bit surprised when I was told if I chose to change the monitoring, they would take out the dialer as that would be the only part tied to them.. I thought even the dialler would be always the same no?

It doesn't sound right to be honest. There is too much vagueness. Most manufacturers apps can be customised with installer details and branding. I wouldn't call that a clone.
    To be honest you should be able to move panel to whichever provider you want. And use the same dialler etc.
    Parts can be sourced??? But can they be enrolled and used on the same system??
    Shop around would be my advice.

It doesn't sound right to be honest. There is too much vagueness. Most manufacturers apps can be customised with installer details and branding. I wouldn't call that a clone.
    To be honest you should be able to move panel to whichever provider you want. And use the same dialler etc.
    Parts can be sourced??? But can they be enrolled and used on the same system??
    Shop around would be my advice.

this was the response, I got, but they were also at my house doing a survey:

- The Remote app is distributed by Risco but we have our own design within their configuration and will set this up for you.
    -it can be maintained and monitored by other installers but the Communications Module provided by us can only be used by us to monitor the system. If you went with another company they would provide their own setup.
    - The Parts are only available through Risco Suppliers and Installers and not directly off them.

communications module bit is what gets me and throws me off a bit..

Anyway, I have other quote from other installer.. a bit more expensive but told me if I was ever to change monitoring the only thing to change is the SIM card.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks

• Advertisement

Sounds like they are trying to deliberately complicate the issue to confuse you.

Sounds like they are trying to deliberately complicate the issue to confuse you.

Yeah, looks like that way for sure

I have a quote by other local installer as follows:

1 x RISCO AGILITY 32 ZONE CONTROL PANEL
    1 x RISCO REMOTE KEYPAD
    1 x RISCO GSM CARD
    2 x RISCO PIR CAMERA
    1 x RISCO PIR
    14 x RISCO CONTACT/SHOCK SENSORS (windows)
    3 x RISCO DOOR CONTACT/SOCK
    1 x RISCO LUMIN8 EXTERNAL SIREN
    1 x RISCO SMARTPHONE APP

1760 euro

35 euro for:
    - monitoring
    - maintenance(including call outs, batteries, service)
    - breakdown cover of all parts

is this reasonably? I am inclined to go with it, but I have no idea of prices

Not bad if its all in and covers all call outs etc.

Not bad if its all in and covers all call outs etc.

the 35 euro includes breakdown cover of all parts including panels. only thing it doesn't cover is if the damage is caused by a electrical surge by storm for instance which is understandable.

fair to assume the 1760 euro for all that hardware is a decent quote?

fair to assume the 1760 euro for all that hardware is a decent quote?

It is if its including VAT, installation and set up etc.

It is if its including VAT, installation and set up etc.

yep it is, VAT, installation, setting up the app and monitoring etc etc
    It is expensive but hopefully it is only this one time :)

thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it

Anytime. Money upfront is the better option for a system like this. Even if you cancel your monitoring and service down the road you will own a decent system with a good app and no ongoing app charges etc.

Anytime. Money upfront is the better option for a system like this. Even if you cancel your monitoring and service down the road you will own a decent system with a good app and no ongoing app charges etc.

I have this system installed.
    The shock sensors seem to go off pretty easily with seems to be strong winds from the storms. Is this something normal?
    The installer will come by to regulate the sensitivity, but I am starting to wonder if the shock sensors are that reliable?

It only happened when I wasn’t home and of course got called by the monitoring station and my dogs are getting stressed by this. It happened 3 days in a row....

Any thoughts?

Also just found out my dogs’ bark also triggers the shock sensor....... is this common?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Also just found out my dogs’ bark also triggers the shock sensor....... is this common?

A dog jumping against a window or door would set off a sensor.
    The sensors need to be calibrated if to sensitive.

Advertisement