Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving while drinking non-alcoholic liquids or snacking

• 19-11-2019 11:16am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Can you drink non alcoholic beer and drive? (0%)

I mean sipping a bottle in the car as your driving?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You can sip away at alcoholic beer if you want. I don't think there's a law stopping you (open to correction though).

Also, I don't think there is such thing as completely alcohol free beer (again, open to correction).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No direct law against it (AFAIK), but you could be open to a charge of careless driving: https://www.axa.ie/articles/driving/is-eating-while-driving-illegal/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I have always wondered. Obviously ive never done it and probably won't.
    The gaurd would smell the beer and think this guy is in trouble.

Imagine opening one in the work canteen.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You would be giving reasonable suspicion on a plate to any member of AGS to arrest you for drink driving even sipping a non-alcoholic beer behind the wheel. You could well be sipping the NA beer to disguise all the real beers you were drinking before getting into the car.

Why anyone would want to risk that is beyond me. I wouldn't even have a sip of wine with a meal if I was planning on driving because on the off-chance you do get stopped, you don't want to even have the conversation, "how much did you have to drink tonight?" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You can sip away at alcoholic beer if you want. I don't think there's a law stopping you (open to correction though).

Well atually, depending on where you are driving it is illegal to consume alcohol in a public place, for example you can't consume alcohol in any public place (except in a designated outdoor seating area outside a pub, restaurant etc.) in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Also, I don't think there is such thing as completely alcohol free beer (again, open to correction).

Heineken 0.0 is amongst the lowest. That's 0.05%. Most of them are 0.5%.

I'm sure there are some completely alcohol free but I wouldn't say they taste like beer or they'd be well known.

GM228 wrote: »
    Well atually, depending on where you are driving it is illegal to consume alcohol in a public place, for example you can't consume alcohol in any public place (except in a designated outdoor seating area outside a pub, restaurant etc.) in Dublin.

Would that mean you couldn't drink a can as a passenger on a bus driving through an area where those bye-laws applied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would that mean you couldn't drink a can as a passenger on a bus driving through an area where those bye-laws applied?

Most bus companies also ban the consumption of alcohol.

Victor wrote: »

But not all of them do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »

For some value of consumption of alcohol. I doubt they'd throw a passenger off for using disinfectant gel, or eating a ripe plumb

• Advertisement

Don’t the traffic corps have a catch-all for getting you if they want anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Don’t the traffic corps have a catch-all for getting you if they want anyway?

yes they do,

they can test you after you commit any road traffic offence or if you pass through a mandatory intoxicant checkpoint

fiendish aint they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Why anyone would want to attract the attention of the guards is beyond me. But there's no specific law against it other than careless driving (logic being you can't be driving carefully if you're concentrating on a bottle instead of the road).
    I once made the mistake of buying a 99 on the way home. It's very hard to drive and eat a 99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

A 69 is even worse. Nastiest accident I ever had.

Mod
    Smartin Martin
    Pls do not post again on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I would guess it would fall under the following.
    4.— (1) The following sections are substituted for sections 51A, 52 (inserted by sections 49 and 50, respectively, of the Act of 1968), 53 (as amended by section 51 of the Act of 1968, section 49(1)(f) of the Act of 1994 and section 13 of the Act of 2004), 54 (as amended by section 6 of the Act of 1968) and 55 (as amended by section 52 of the Act of 1968) of the Principal Act:

“Driving without reasonable consideration.

51A.— (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without reasonable consideration for other persons using the place.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence.

Careless driving.

52.— (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention.

I would apply the same to putting makeup on while driving as well.

Advertisement