Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Something to watch tonight.

Get the tissues ready for Cronin try if your a front row forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

One of my favourite matches. Was just a week after Leinster won the Champions Cup and I thought Munster might take advantage of Leinsters hangover/fatigue. Not a bloody chance.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1262680646285172741?s=19

Teams who've signed new players for next season may be able to field them if the current season recommences. Not sure I like that tbh. Purely from the perspective of a Leinster fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Well considering leinster aren't signing anyone and will only lose current players to their competition, it certainly isn't of benefit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Clegg wrote: »
    Teams who've signed new players for next season may be able to field them if the current season recommences. Not sure I like that tbh. Purely from the perspective of a Leinster fan.

Yeah but it would be very unfair on teams with a big turnover of players. Losing your best players and not being able to use the replacements you brought in would be harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

One of my favourite matches. Was just a week after Leinster won the Champions Cup and I thought Munster might take advantage of Leinsters hangover/fatigue. Not a bloody chance.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1262680646285172741?s=19

Leinster were ferocious that day. Just consistently knocking Munster back behind the gainline. Giving Joey the extra special treatment.

There was never a moment Munster looked like crossing the whitewash.

We were fortunate with at least 2 turnover penalties of which our players were nowhere near on their feet and Munster had us under the kosh but those decisions swing both ways.

Nullifying Beirne at the breakdown was very impressive too. He never got a sniff at it

CJ was really ineffective at 7 that day. His highlight was goading Ryan after Munster won a penalty against a seven man Leinster scrum... As a good a player as CJ is - think he is world class - he never seems to perform against Leinster.

Henshaw and Ringrose were brilliant that day.

Luke McGrath had a fire lit under him from a poor showing the previous week and was brilliant.

Toland tried to say on comms that the game was closer than it suggested. He couldn't have been further from the truth. Territory and possession might have favoured Munster. But they did nothing with it. Leinster rode the storm and took their chances (actually squandered a few good ones too)

But the absolute highlight of the whole game was James Lowe. Has a foreign signing ever bought into the parochial rivalry of Leinster Munster?

He had a bit of a scuffle with Conway off the ball. No idea who started it but we Conway seemed to be holding Lowe back. Lowe frees himself, absolutely empties Chris Farrell and finds time to have some choice words with Conway before getting back in the line.

And then of course the amazing comeback to the Munster fan who shouted at him from the crowd (when the game was beyond reach) "Where were you last week" and he shouts back "where are you next week?"

I love that man

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well considering leinster aren't signing anyone and will only lose current players to their competition, it certainly isn't of benefit to them.

Might work in their favour - Saracens could be completely cleared out by the time a game comes around for the European cup.

Although , would still like to hose them fully loaded , just to make a point.

Leinster were ferocious that day. Just consistently knocking Munster back behind the gainline. Giving Joey the extra special treatment.

There was never a moment Munster looked like crossing the whitewash.

We were fortunate with at least 2 turnover penalties of which our players were nowhere near on their feet and Munster had us under the kosh but those decisions swing both ways.

Nullifying Beirne at the breakdown was very impressive too. He never got a sniff at it

CJ was really ineffective at 7 that day. His highlight was goading Ryan after Munster won a penalty against a seven man Leinster scrum... As a good a player as CJ is - think he is world class - he never seems to perform against Leinster.

Henshaw and Ringrose were brilliant that day.

Luke McGrath had a fire lit under him from a poor showing the previous week and was brilliant.

Toland tried to say on comms that the game was closer than it suggested. He couldn't have been further from the truth. Territory and possession might have favoured Munster. But they did nothing with it. Leinster rode the storm and took their chances (actually squandered a few good ones too)

But the absolute highlight of the whole game was James Lowe. Has a foreign signing ever bought into the parochial rivalry of Leinster Munster?

He had a bit of a scuffle with Conway off the ball. No idea who started it but we Conway seemed to be holding Lowe back. Lowe frees himself, absolutely empties Chris Farrell and finds time to have some choice words with Conway before getting back in the line.

And then of course the amazing comeback to the Munster fan who shouted at him from the crowd (when the game was beyond reach) "Where were you last week" and he shouts back "where are you next week?"

I love that man

I agree with you on Stander. For want of a better phrase I think Leinster's coaches have 'worked out' Munster's backrow. No matter the composition of Leinster's 6/7/8 they always seem to get the upper hand over Stander and PoM. Part of that is probably down to Munsters lack of power up front. Which makes the signing of Snyman so crucial for their prospects in the coming years.

Leinster have done the same with Beirne. Goes back to the Pro 14 final and Champions Cup semi finals in 2018. Everyone knows how deadly he is at the breakdown so in those games we flooded that area and always had two or three guys ready to make a hit if he even looked like getting a sniff if the ball. Probably half of those guys were illegal, but never penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Might work in their favour - Saracens could be completely cleared out by the time a game comes around for the European cup.

They won't be. The only big names who are still not confirmed as staying or going are Itoje and Mako Vunipola. Ben Earl is going on loan elsewhere for a year. Liam Williams was already leaving. Skelton is gone which is a loss since he has sorted himself out.

Business as usual for most part. Farrell, Goode, Daly, Maitland, Billy Vunipola, Jamie George are all staying. Slight question over Kruis but looks like he's staying put.

Stander has had some very big showings against Leinster over the years. He has been a one man backrow for Munster in some matches.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I agree with you on Stander. For want of a better phrase I think Leinster's coaches have 'worked out' Munster's backrow. No matter the composition of Leinster's 6/7/8 they always seem to get the upper hand over Stander and PoM. Part of that is probably down to Munsters lack of power up front. Which makes the signing of Snyman so crucial for their prospects in the coming years.

Leinster have done the same with Beirne. Goes back to the Pro 14 final and Champions Cup semi finals in 2018. Everyone knows how deadly he is at the breakdown so in those games we flooded that area and always had two or three guys ready to make a hit if he even looked like getting a sniff if the ball. Probably half of those guys were illegal, but never penalised

Wasn’t there a story going around that they stuck a blue scrum cap on Will Connors and let everyone pummel the **** out of him in preparation for those games against Scarlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Buer wrote: »
    Stander has had some very big showings against Leinster over the years. He has been a one man backrow for Munster in some matches.

as an effective carrying threat leinster have very much nullified him in the last 3/4 seasons

Faugheen wrote: »
    Wasn’t there a story going around that they stuck a blue scrum cap on Will Connors and let everyone pummel the **** out of him in preparation for those games against Scarlets?

Conners and Beirne both already wear blue scrum caps but yeah, Conners took the role of Beirne in training during the build up. Was mentioned online at the time but I believe Fogarty confirmed it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Buer wrote: »
    Conners and Beirne both already wear blue scrum caps but yeah, Conners took the role of Beirne in training during the build up. Was mentioned online at the time but I believe Fogarty confirmed it afterwards.

I was at a talk Fogarty gave years ago about 09 And he was saying they did something similar for Leicester for Dan Hipkiss, don’t know who did the roll but I asked him about it and he said they knew that at the side of a ruck he always did the same movement stepping in or something and they got the decoy to do the same movement, then the Leinster lads would point and repeat Hipkiss so on match day when he was in position they knew exactly what he was about to do. Disclaimer can’t remember the exact details but this is roughly right.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    as an effective carrying threat leinster have very much nullified him in the last 3/4 seasons

Stander's carrying can be nullified by strong teams who know how to shut him down. That doesn't mean he isn't still a very effective performer. He didn't play against us this season. He was very good in the two regular league matches last season, arguably the best performer from either side over the two games.

In the Aviva, he was Munster's best player scoring a good try when we didn't shut down his carrying, bursting through our defensive line. In Thomond, it was a pretty ugly, niggly game. Not a lot of flowing rugby. Stander is still able to make his presence felt in that sort of game. Leinster dominated possession and Stander made 17 tackles, missing none and carryied lots of ball. Beirne got MOTM that day but Stander was probably the most effective player on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Streaming ‘live’ now on YouTube. Lowe has just barrelled through Zebo and then sidestepped him a few phases later before putting Conan through :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Ryan had a pretty incredible first 10 with his carrying and tackling. Carberry at 15 for Leinster

clsmooth wrote: »
    Streaming ‘live’ now on YouTube. Lowe has just barrelled through Zebo and then sidestepped him a few phases later before putting Conan through :cool:

Zebo wasn't arsed in that game. Kept going for the wide Hollywood pass which just ate up Munsters attacking space.

Zebo wasn't arsed in that game. Kept going for the wide Hollywood pass which just ate up Munsters attacking space.

As someone who never really liked Zebo due to his work ethic and reputation of individual over team, I thought he was fully deserving of this performance being his last in Red.

He was a total me feiner that game, he wanted nothing more than to have a huge individual moment that game for his highlight reel

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As someone who never really liked Zebo due to his work ethic and reputation of individual over team, I thought he was fully deserving of this performance being his last in Red.

He was a total me feiner that game, he wanted nothing more than to have a huge individual moment that game for his highlight reel

That describes his entire career tbh.

• Advertisement

Case in point. 26:58 Munster have advantage in Leisnters half. Zebo had turned Ringrose in, a simple pop to Scannell and Munster have a 4 on 1 with Earls very likely to finish in the corner. Instead, he steps outside Ringrose who just had to shepard him towards touch where he eats into 3 other players space. He tries a fancy offload to Earls which goes straight to touch.

That's U13 levels of detrimental selfishness

Case in point again. 34:22 on the clock. Zebo gets the ball just outside the Leinster 22. Leinster have no one in the backfield as Carbery was still on the ground from a previous man. Munster had 5 men outside Zebo to Leinsters 3 (all defending quite high) with Cronin being the widest man for Leinster. A simple early pass from Zebo and they've a guaranteed 5 on 3 inside Leinsters 22. He opts to carry for no gain in ground and it ends with Kleyn getting his red card a few phases later.( EDIT: Somehow this was only a yellow? I remember it differently. JK a very lucky boy to avoid anything more)

Case in point 3. 47:23. Ringrose sends a lovely grubber down the touchline from his half and it stays in play. Zebo recovers on the 5m in his 22. He is a left so he has plenty of an angle to get a decent touch finder on half way. Murray is jogging back as he doesn't feel he needs to be a passing option as any reasonable thought process is Zebo will kick it. Ringrose chops him low and ROL gets a lovely poach on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You lose me with this sort of rubbish.

When he broke through first I'd say he was pretty unselfish. Scored plenty of trys and linked well with teammates. But I think his overall play diminished in his final years with Munster. I don't know if it was from his falling out with Schmidt or just a dip in firm, but he looked more lethargic on the field and playing more for himself than the team.

Ironically, the best thing he did that game was when he was at his most unselfish. Was a few metres from Leinsters line and could've made a giant him himself. Instead pops an offload to Earls to score instead.

Ironically, the best thing he did that game was when he was at his most unselfish. Was a few metres from Leinsters line and could've made a giant him himself. Instead pops an offload to Earls to score instead.

Yup. Earls took that extremely well. Nice little basketball style offload from Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Zebo had a poor final season at Munster, resulting in him not being selected for the SF vs Racing

Every single player goes through peaks and troughs in form.

But like everything with Zebo for some reason it is blown totally out of proportion amongst some people.

You lose me with this sort of rubbish.
    When he broke through first I'd say he was pretty unselfish. Scored plenty of trys and linked well with teammates. But I think his overall play diminished in his final years with Munster. I don't know if it was from his falling out with Schmidt or just a dip in firm, but he looked more lethargic on the field and playing more for himself than the team.

We can agree to disagree , there is no question that Zebo is a hugely talented player however he has never shown the kind of work ethic and selflessness that you see from other players.

A player like Earls or Conway for example , both equally (or more so) talented and skillful in their own way have always been far more likely to take the less selfish option , far more likely to be seen filling in to a role for the team , whether that's stepping in to scrum-half when they spot he's not there at the ruck or indeed , hitting that ruck if they were 1st on the scene. He was far more likely to stay out waiting for the scoring pass or to look to take it on himself rather than giving it early to better placed players.

I'm not questioning Zebo's obvious talent , I'm questioning his work ethic and his willingness to put the team above himself.

Sometimes he put in the effort and worked for the collective and sometimes he didn't , unfortunately the latter was far more likely to be the case and neither Munster nor Irelands game plan really allowed for that luxury especially against the better sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

This is a leinster thread, move the zebo talk elsewhere please.

thankfully he never played for leinster, can only imagine the complaining from munster fans given his antics if he had.

It's well documented that Zebo doesn't put the work in off the field which is a pity because he still made it to the top of the game (Lions tour).

Can you imagine if he had the discipline of someone like Earls or Dave Kearney and married that with the gifts that (almost by themselves) got him to the top table. He'd have been unplayable.

As for Lowe, he was an awful bollox that game. So many moments, even really subtle ones - he spots JJ over the ball and never missing a chance to rinse an outhalf:

vsCjuiL.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It's well documented that Zebo doesn't put the work in off the field which is a pity because he still made it to the top of the game (Lions tour).

Can you imagine if he had the discipline of someone like Earls or Dave Kearney and married that with the gifts that (almost by themselves) got him to the top table. He'd have been unplayable.

As for Lowe, he was an awful bollox that game. So many moments, even really subtle ones - he spots JJ over the ball and never missing a chance to rinse an outhalf:

vsCjuiL.gif

I remember him posting a video of him listening to Nevermind on vinyl and thinking "We could be friends". This clip cements it as a certainty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement