Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ghost Protocol ranks high, purely by dint of the Burj Khalifa sequence, which has kinda set the watermark for 'Tom Cruise does a crazy stunt'. The rest of the film somewhat lost impetus by dint of a flat villain, though until the final act Brad Bird did great work generally - ditto Rogue Nation, which had a nice idea but no payoff in its villain.

Though for all the intensity of the stuntwork, I think one of the best and most intense scenes of the franchise was the interrogation sequence of MI:3 - mostly down to the calm menace of Hoffman, though to be fair Cruise does his part. In fact, Rogue Nation & the JJ Abrams sequel make for a good comparison, purely in terms of how important the right actor makes to any role, not least the villain of the piece. Hoffman commanded the screen, while Sean Harris was just ... there.

As mentioned elsewhere, the original is pretty quaint in comparison, more like a souped-up Cold War thriller than anything.

edit: this scene from MI:3 - it just had that bit more danger and tension than usual.

I agree with this, really good scene and PSH was a fantastic film, I don't remember much from that film, except the bridge scene but PSH was the main takeaway. The reveal at the end of the scene cheated a bit though it would have been such a change.

Disappointing to hear that about Harris, I think he's a brilliant actor, there's a role out there for him though, where he'll do a Hopkins Hannibal Lecter performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I agree with the comments too Re MI:3. For me it’s the best of the entire series by some distance. The casting was really bang on imo. Even the likes of Jonathan Rhys Meyers brought something to it. I think it was Simon Pegg’s first outing and he really shone too.
    Seymour Hoffman was a really excellent villain, to my mind his performance was almost up there with Rickman in Die Hard. So many of these types of movies have weak cardboard cutout villains that ultimately let the whole movie down but I remember being very impressed with Hoffman’s performance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I agree with the comments too Re MI:3. For me it’s the best of the entire series by some distance. The casting was really bang on imo. Even the likes of Jonathan Rhys Meyers brought something to it. I think it was Simon Pegg’s first outing and he really shone too.
    Seymour Hoffman was a really excellent villain, to my mind his performance was almost up there with Rickman in Die Hard. So many of these types of movies have weak cardboard cutout villains that ultimately let the whole movie down but I remember being very impressed with Hoffman’s performance.

Agreed - like Rickman's performance PSH's villain almost had that "yeah I have to kill you but I really can't be arse with this...." attitude. Very effective - comparing to Carlye's Renard or Bardem's Silva - too earnest for me. Granted Bond villains tend to have to be a bit OTT but still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the performance was excellent, but it spoke more about Hoffman's talents than the richness of the character - whose name I can't even remember! Hans Gruber had a charm and depth Alan Rickman tapped into and came together nicely; whereas I'd say Hoffman's role was never properly defined in the script, just letting Hoffman interpret as he saw fit, resulting in that casual, world-weary menace he went for.

Not sure who I'd cast for a villainous role to bring the series back to those heights mind you. Even if they went for some good old-fashioned scenery chewing, it might at least leave the antagonists as memorable, instead of Sean Harris deadpanning his way across the films.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think the performance was excellent, but it spoke more about Hoffman's talents than the richness of the character - whose name I can't even remember! Hans Gruber had a charm and depth Alan Rickman tapped into and came together nicely; whereas I'd say Hoffman's role was never properly defined in the script, just letting Hoffman interpret as he saw fit, resulting in that casual, world-weary menace he went for.

Not sure who I'd cast for a villainous role to bring the series back to those heights mind you. Even if they went for some good old-fashioned scenery chewing, it might at least leave the antagonists as memorable, instead of Sean Harris deadpanning his way across the films.

I'm sort of excited for Henry Cavill in a way but I'd like to see someone like Rutger Hauer given a fresh run out. I still get nightmares from The Hitcher!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Would it be helpful to have seen the previous films. I know the M:I films don't usually carry on from each other but I see Sean Harris is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Looks like this is getting savage good reviews. Supposedly the best of the series..

I'd be very surprised if the praise holds up, outside the action sequences (which is the only thing it excels in, they are very well done) the rest of it is strongly lacking, the dialogue in some of the scenes is just cringe, particularly between Cavill and Bassett.

I also found it fairly predictable, so maybe others that are praising it so high didnt catch on and that added a whole lot to their joy :confused:

They also brought in a lot of new interesting characters but sadly didn't do much with them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Read there that it went over budget by about €70m from €180m to €250m after Cruise broke his ankle.

They say the insurance will cover most of the overrun as Cruise broke his ankle on set.

I have to ask what insurance company is mad enough to take the policy on Cruise as they know he does his own stunts 99% of them are crazy ones on the MI films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Would it be helpful to have seen the previous films. I know the M:I films don't usually carry on from each other but I see Sean Harris is back.

Probably good to have seen Rogue Nation alright. While I've heard Fallout works fine by itself, it is clearly following on from the events of the last one in a way that previous films didn't.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. Reviews have led me to expect something along the lines of Fury Road, which I consider a masterpiece of action and visual storytelling, so I'll be delighted if those comparisons are even semi accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I seen this this evening. Have to say I was disappointed with it. Its a 6 out of 10 film. Not the best Mission: Impossible film. I think ''Ghost Protocol'' was better. There is some humour in it some that works and some that does not. That's what you get when JJ Abrams is in charge. It trys to be a smart film but its not done well and it seems like there is some scenes missing in parts. I also noticed a few mistakes in it. There is some characters in it from ''Rogue Nation'' but you do not have to have seen it to be able to watch the film. So 6 out of 10 from me.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I have to ask what insurance company is mad enough to take the policy on Cruise as they know he does his own stunts 99% of them are crazy ones on the MI films.
    Any of them. They just multiply the required payout by the odds of needing one and then tack on a profit margin. Most days they win, some days they don't. It's literally what they do for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Saw last night, thought it was great in terms of an action movie, it really delivered. The
    motorbike chase through Paris
    was one of the best I've ever seen, and it also featured the best
    "Tom Cruise run" of all time!

I agree that some of the dialogue was clunky, and Cavill was especially wooden. I don't think his character development really worked. Simon Pegg was good, he and Ving Rhames are a good double act.

The ending was a bit flat, though the previous part
    with the helicopter
    had the whole place on the edge of their seats. Sadly there was no
    "next mission" tease

Overall 10/10 for the action, 7/10 for plot, 5/10 for characters, and 8/10 overall.

I agree about the comments relating to the first one; there was more suspense and intrigue than out and out action; the MI series has now become synonymous with the crazy stunts, so I don't think the series could really go back to the style of the first movie (which I still love).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Saw last night, thought it was great in terms of an action movie, it really delivered. The

I agree that some of the dialogue was clunky, and Cavill was especially wooden. I don't think his character development really worked. Simon Pegg was good, he and Ving Rhames are a good double act.

with the helicopter
    "next mission" tease

Overall 10/10 for the action, 7/10 for plot, 5/10 for characters, and 8/10 overall.

I agree about the comments relating to the first one; there was more suspense and intrigue than out and out action; the MI series has now become synonymous with the crazy stunts, so I don't think the series could really go back to the style of the first movie (which I still love).

The

I disagree. I did not think it was that great. There has been better ones done in other films.

with the helicopter
    "next mission" tease

Really. Again I thought it was a disappointment. It was overdone and way to unrealistic even for a film. Overall I did not think there was any stunts in this film that were anything to write home about. I think both Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation had much more exciting better stunts and action.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

^ Well each to their own. I've seen all the MI movies and this was a surefire "rollercoaster ride". It's exactly what you want to watch with a big bag of pick n' mix in the cineplex. ;)

edit: I'll expand the
    motorbike chase
    to include the
    BMW chase
    as well.

Sadly there was no
    "next mission" tease

Hehe ya kidding? They've got the whole
    12 apostles to take care of, thats the next 12 movies laid out right there
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. Personally I thought that it was 20 to 30 minutes too long but good just the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I watched last night. It's amazing. The music, the action, the cinematography were all highlights. It's a really, really great move. The bathroom scene was one of the best choreographed fights I’ve seen in a long time. This was the best I've seen Cavill in anything he's done before. He and Cruise worked so well together.
    It was a shame Cavill’s character took a heel turn, because I was enjoying their buddy up, until that point.
    They should consider doing something else together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

do you need to have seen the previous movie or is it stand alone?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

silverharp wrote: »
    do you need to have seen the previous movie or is it stand alone?

You will need to watch the previous movie "Rogue Nation" or at least read the plot as this movie follows on from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Plenty of action and exciting to boot. Plus,
    the bathroom fight scene was excellent - pity the real fake Lark had to die!
    . Henry Cavill was very good here and
    I liked his heel turn - made him more interesting (was nervous at the start; he just seemed thick as a plank!)

Saw it in IMAX 3D - perhaps sat a bit close, but some nice 3D shots and enjoyed the big screen and sound. Need to tone down the lens flare though; it was a bit ridiculous at times.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

The sound in this film is great as well, it really drives home every bullet and punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back! That was great!

So many nods to the older films. Right back to Mission Impossible 1! So cool!
    The soundtrack was great.
    I was hoping they'd use it at the end, like at the end of Mission Impossible 1

The action scenes were a tops. It benefitted from knowing he broke his ankle on that building jump. Cos of that I was watching all the scenes having that hightened memory and awareness of him doing his own stunts.

The fight scene in
    the bathroom in Paris
    ! :eek:
    Henry Cavill
    at the end of the film!
    :eek:

They did humour well too. I found the audience was getting into it right at the moments the characters were. It worked well.

Saw it in IMAX 3D. It benefits from a bigger screen and sound setup. I didn't notice much 3D.

*wanders off to listen to the soundtrack* do.. do.. do.do.. do.. do.. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

McQuarrie has upped his game something fierce. The last one was good, but this is *multiple* steps up.

The force of the action is truly impressive. The cinematography, editing, sound design and score (oh god the score) completely in step with each other. McQuarrie knows when the action needs to be frantic (love the ground level shots during the chases), but also when to pull back to revel in the sheer scale of things (obviously that unbroken thrill ride of a shot in the sky is a highlight, but you see it throughout). Maybe it was the big IMAX sceeen - was lucky enough to catch it in London - but definitely captured the stomach-churning distance between Ethan ‘Mad Bastard’ Hunt and the ground. The sheer clarity of the action, breathlessly waltzing from shootouts around dark corners to dazzlingly bright brawls, is the film’s greatest strength, and there hasn’t been anything so relentless in the blockbuster sphere since Fury Road.

That sound though... it’s what sells everything. There’s one moment, where a bike is whizzing past a line of columns, and you just hear that rush of air in between every one. It’s propulsive stuff. I had to check to see if Jóhann Jóhannsson hadn’t scored this before he passed away, because the score reminded me of his work on Sicario. Not in a derivative way - the copious, joyous incorporation of the main Mission Impossible theme makes this stand out - but it’s equally keen to go wild with percussive, aggressive music cues. It’s god tier stuff from Lorne Balfe - a composer completely in tune with material.

The story’s standard, the acting’s a mixed bag (good to see Rebecca Ferguson back, but personally thought Henry Cavill was a bit of a charisma void). But **** it: few Hollywood films know what they are like this one knows what it is. The perfect culmination of the series to date, full of little callbacks and series tropes and it’s all the more enjoyable for it. Not bad for a series that’s already had some unexpected highlights and refreshes over the years, and McQuarrie lays down his hand as the MVP for blockbuster action with breathless aplomb. Dare I say: more please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Holy sh*t J. Ultimate, you did not just invoke Fury Road. Well that's my expectations now sky high :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

McQuarrie has upped his game something fierce. The last one was good, but this is *multiple* steps up.

The force of the action is truly impressive. The cinematography, editing, sound design and score (oh god the score) completely in step with each other. McQuarrie knows when the action needs to be frantic (love the ground level shots during the chases), but also when to pull back to revel in the sheer scale of things (obviously that unbroken thrill ride of a shot in the sky is a highlight, but you see it throughout). Maybe it was the big IMAX sceeen - was lucky enough to catch it in London - but definitely captured the stomach-churning distance between Ethan ‘Mad Bastard’ Hunt and the ground. The sheer clarity of the action, breathlessly waltzing from shootouts around dark corners to dazzlingly bright brawls, is the film’s greatest strength, and there hasn’t been anything so relentless in the blockbuster sphere since Fury Road.

That sound though... it’s what sells everything. There’s one moment, where a bike is whizzing past a line of columns, and you just hear that rush of air in between every one. It’s propulsive stuff. I had to check to see if Jn Jnsson hadn’t scored this before he passed away, because the score reminded me of his work on Sicario. Not in a derivative way - the copious, joyous incorporation of the main Mission Impossible theme makes this stand out - but it’s equally keen to go wild with percussive, aggressive music cues. It’s god tier stuff from Lorne Balfe - a composer completely in tune with material.

The story’s standard, the acting’s a mixed bag (good to see Rebecca Ferguson back, but personally thought Henry Cavill was a bit of a charisma void). But **** it: few Hollywood films know what they are like this one knows what it is. The perfect culmination of the series to date, full of little callbacks and series tropes and it’s all the more enjoyable for it. Not bad for a series that’s already had some unexpected highlights and refreshes over the years, and McQuarrie lays down his hand as the MVP for blockbuster action with breathless aplomb. Dare I say: more please?

Thats me sold !

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw it this morning.... Total riot really enjoyed it....i would say the title sequence don't pay to much attention as it gives away a lot of the plot bizarrely.
    The action set pieces were terrific I thought as well.
    The acting was excellent...bar for me Simon Pegg I honestly don't get the appeal, Henry Cavill is a bit robotic... But it kind of works for the part.

8/10

gmisk wrote: »
    The acting was excellent...

What acting??? The entire cast are reading from a teleprompter for the most part.. :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think this stood out as the biggest use of the theme.

As it's called Fallout, I wonder was it Lorne Balfe saying it's his go at it cos it's the film he's part of.

It was also sprinkled into a few other spots.

Also used at the end of the credits:

Advertisement