Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Only saw this last night and it met my very high expectations. Think I preferred it to Rogue Nation but it didn't quite match the experience of seeing Ghost Protocol in real IMAX.

Which leads me to my one regret of not seeing this movie in real IMAX. Unfortunately the BFI IMAX was only showing this in 3D which I wanted to avoid. While they didn't use IMAX cameras to shoot certain scenes like they did for Ghost Protocol I believe they managed to do the next best thing by shooting scenes with unbelievely hight definition cameras and managed to crop the footage to utilise the full IMAX screen.

Maybe some day they'll show it in 2D IMAX and I'll get to see it exactly how I want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Only saw this last night and it met my very high expectations. Think I preferred it to Rogue Nation but it didn't quite match the experience of seeing Ghost Protocol in real IMAX.

Which leads me to my one regret of not seeing this movie in real IMAX. Unfortunately the BFI IMAX was only showing this in 3D which I wanted to avoid. While they didn't use IMAX cameras to shoot certain scenes like they did for Ghost Protocol I believe they managed to do the next best thing by shooting scenes with unbelievely hight definition cameras and managed to crop the footage to utilise the full IMAX screen.

Maybe some day they'll show it in 2D IMAX and I'll get to see it exactly how I want to.

Even the best HD cameras can't even match the resolution of 35mm film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Even the best HD cameras can't even match the resolution of 35mm film.
    Yeah, that's why I didn't go out of my way to find a 2D IMAX showing but after reading/listening to reviews I've heard that the cropping mechanism they used worked quite well and 2D IMAX is the optimal way to see the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just sat down and watched it tonight. Gets better and better. This is Tom's role, I can watch it and actually believe that he is Ethan Hunt. The effort he puts into his stunts really shows on screen.

I loved that they kept in the piece of him running off with a broken ankle.

Can't wait for the next one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

McQuarrie is signing on for two more of these:

https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/1084958567856168961?s=21

If there’s even a fraction of the leap in quality we saw between his first two efforts, or even if he can simply maintain the quality seen in this one... count me all the way ****ing in.

Edit: looks like they’re being made back to back as well:

https://twitter.com/tomcruise/status/1084964387335618560?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I wouldn't mind the theme song making a strong appearance in a new one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If they're being made back to back, I presume that means there's going to be more of a narrative this time around, with a cliffhanger ending perhaps; the Syndicate & Sean Harris' antagonist were a bit of a damn squib, but I did appreciate the effort to establish some kind of superior enemy to Ethan Hunt's scooby gang. Gave the films more immediacy and stakes.

I'm currently watching the 6 films on a BluRay I picked up and it's amazing to watch the series morph, mutate and grow. Equally remarkable how much of an old school, Euro thriller that first film was - but equally remarkable again how god awfully trashy, idiotic (and not in a good way) the second, John Woo directed film was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I got the film on Blu-ray for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The action under McQuarrie has undoubtedly escalated and the cinematography is fantastic but I really struggled with the convoluted plot of Fallout, I need to rewatch it but I'd struggle to tell you what was going on. There was also an element of stunts for stunts sake, I'm thinking specifically about the sky dive which was completely unnecessary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Pleased to hear to McQuarrie is returning (not that there was any doubt), though I'd question the wisdom of shooting two films back to back. I guess the thinking is that Cruise isn't getting any younger, but I'm not sure McQuarrie's "make it up as you go along" style of shooting can be sustained over two films without a dip in quality. However, hopefully this means the second film will be a franchise finale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm not sure McQuarrie's "make it up as you go along" style of shooting can be sustained over two films without a dip in quality.
    Having listened to the entire Empire: Fallout spoiler special (5hrs?) - he's going to have to change his approach completely to film two back to back.

Talk about making it up as you go along. Amazing that Fallout turned out so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dades wrote: »
    Having listened to the entire Empire: Fallout spoiler special (5hrs?) - he's going to have to change his approach completely to film two back to back.

I can see the pitch for this :)

Good morning, Mr. McQuarrie. Your mission should you choose to accept it is to film two movies back to back, making it up as you go along <Tom Cruise appears and hands Chris a camera, executive producer self destructs, cue music>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe the next one will be set in Ireland

branie2 wrote: »
    Mission Impossible: Far and Away.

"I've no wish te fight ye, Lane!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

I saw this over Christmas and really loved it, I wish I'd caught it in the cinema. I have the 4k Bluray ordered, I love that they retained the IMAX resolution for the home release and the Atmos audio is just awesome. I'll defo be catching at least the next one in the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Acosta

Fallout was good, but nowhere near as good as Rogue Nation and MI3. I really liked the Rebecca Ferguson character in Rogue Nation but not so much in Fallout. She didn't do much. Still an enjoyable movie just a tad bit overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Dades wrote: »

Talk about making it up as you go along. Amazing that Fallout turned out so well.

Yeah I've been thinking the same, despite having seen the completed film I almost feel panicked for him listening to those spoiler specials! I can understand the route he took allowed for a more creative approach but it seems unbelievably risky.

Shred wrote: »
    I can understand the route he took allowed for a more creative approach but it seems unbelievably risky.
    Not many studios would have that kind of faith. I'd say the execs were sweating into their frappachinos throughout. That's the pull Cruise has, and the credit in the bank McQuarrie has from Rogue Nation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed it alright. I've enjoyed all the MI movies from 3 on (MI:1 Too serious and oh my God look how young Cruise is in it. MI:2 Too silly. Bike fighting. Was a huge fan of Woo but Hong Kong film-makers don't translate well making big movies in the US).

Once they realised they should be fun OTT action movies then I really started liking them. I know there is a lot of hate out there for Cruise but you gotta admire his dedication and, as has been said, you gotta admire the studio's risk-taking. Not all of these work (*cough* The Mummy *Cough*).

I think they have another two in them alright. I'd say they'll probably bow out after the next two (Assuming there will be a massive cliff-hanger at end of first one.... Reckon poor Benji's a gonner :) )

So, good fun. Amazing stunts. Not gonna change the world. Doesn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

branie2 wrote: »

The UK. Mission Impossible: Brexit..... Coming 2021... or 2022 or.... y'know.

I can just see the one in Ireland. "There's a missile heading for Tallaght"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Acosta wrote: »
    Fallout was good, but nowhere near as good as Rogue Nation and MI3. I really liked the Rebecca Ferguson character in Rogue Nation but not so much in Fallout. She didn't do much. Still an enjoyable movie just a tad bit overrated.

I think Fallout is the best of the lot.

Certainly miles better than MI3 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

MI:3 is my favourite by far tbh. It was (and is) a great action movie. A large part of that is down to Seymour Hoffman who really nailed the bad guy role. He played a memorable villain. Who really remembers who the antagonist was in any of the other instalments? I’d nearly have Hoffman’s performance up there with Rickman in Die Hard.

There’s good performances from a strong supporting cast in it too imo... Laurence Fishburne was good as Cruise’s boss... Rhys Meyers as his side kick and it was the first appearance of Simon Pegg’s character I think.

Next best for me would be Ghost Protocol.

MI:2 by far the worst, which seems to be the general consensus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I really like M:I3 as well. The interrogation near the start is great cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

mikhail wrote: »
    I really like M:I3 as well. The interrogation near the start is great cinema.

Yeah that scene was really excellent. Hoffman and Cruise too to be fair are both great in that scene.

Cruise has a proper “short back and sides” in that instalment too. There’s something that really irritates me about him when he’s in floppy hair mode lol! Must be all those ridiculous slow mo shots from MI:2...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just watched this for the first time. I liked the nod to the White Widow being Max's daughter, appearing to spend her mother's ill-gotten gains on charity. I had to laugh at the little tribute to The French Connection during the car chase in Paris. If I hadn't seen the previous film, I would have been confused by Ilsa's presence, though.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement