Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Oldira wrote: »
    I don’t think Padraig Harrington would like that attitude fromRory in the Ryder Cup.

Mcillroy's record in the Ryder Cup is 11 points from 19, Harrington's own record is 10 1/2 points from 25 so I don't think he is any position to question him!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s an individual event. Most athletes in most individual events do it for themselves. That’s not an issue at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Funnily enough McIlroy has no issue representing Europe in the Ryder Cup. The problems only start when it comes to representing Ireland for him. Then, all of a sudden, he's a "citizen of the world"!

To be fair I very much doubt he's the only member of the Olympic team to have that view - Ireland has very much been a flag of convenience for a number of competitors over the years for a variety of reasons and that is unlikely to ever change. As long as they are happy to compete for us we should support them. There will also be Irish competitors representing other countries at these Olympics for similar reasons.

Funnily enough McIlroy has no issue representing Europe in the Ryder Cup. The problems only start when it comes to representing Ireland for him. Then, all of a sudden, he's a "citizen of the world"!

This is harsh on McIlroy. There is clearly a huge difference between competing for Europe and deciding if he’s Irish or British. He’s said in the past he feels like he’s both and has represented Ireland several times. He agreed to play in Rio but pulled out because of Zika (as did Lowry and half a dozen Australians)

I think it’s pretty immature to expect someone who feels a part of two nations to come out waving flags and beating his chest about how Irish he is. It’s OK to feel conflicted

I hope he plays for Ireland in the Olympics, but I think it’s only fair that people see it is clearly a decision he, and only he, has to make

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

To be fair I very much doubt he's the only member of the Olympic team to have that view - Ireland has very much been a flag of convenience for a number of competitors over the years for a variety of reasons and that is unlikely to ever change. As long as they are happy to compete for us we should support them. There will also be Irish competitors representing other countries at these Olympics for similar reasons.

Yeah last represented Ireland in the World cup in 2011, since then turned down 1 Olympics and 3 world cups so this will be his first appearance for Ireland in 10 years if he tees it up. No guarantee he will yet, Harrington just ahead of McDowell in rankings currently as first reserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Speak Now wrote: »
    Yeah last represented Ireland in the World cup in 2011, since then turned down 1 Olympics and 3 world cups so this will be his first appearance for Ireland in 10 years if he tees it up. No guarantee he will yet, Harrington just ahead of McDowell in rankings currently as first reserve.

Whatever about McIlroy at least Lowry seems to be fairly enthusiastic about representing Ireland in Tokyo. Hopefully there will be no late U turns from him like what happened before Rio.

Dodge wrote: »

I think it’s pretty immature to expect someone who feels a part of two nations to come out waving flags and beating his chest about how Irish he is. It’s OK to feel conflicted

I don't believe I, or anyone else on this thread, suggested that he needs to do that. Competitors will have different levels of attachment to their countries, especially our country given the political history. It's especially understandable that McIlroy, as a Northern Irish Catholic unionist, finds himself in a particularly unusual situation.

However, once he has made up his mind to compete and to compete for Ireland, I do think he should buy into it a little bit more - even if it's just by being a bit more positive about it in interviews than he has been previously. Nobody is expecting him to drape himself in a Tricolour - he doesn't need to do that and we all know he's not going to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't believe I, or anyone else on this thread, suggested that he needs to do that. Competitors will have different levels of attachment to their countries, especially our country given the political history. It's especially understandable that McIlroy, as a Northern Irish Catholic unionist, finds himself in a particularly unusual situation.

However, once he has made up his mind to compete and to compete for Ireland, I do think he should buy into it a little bit more - even if it's just by being a bit more positive about it in interviews than he has been previously. Nobody is expecting him to drape himself in a Tricolour - he doesn't need to do that and we all know he's not going to anyway.

In fairness to him, he always avoids flags and won't touch one.

I think it was a good decision to go with Ireland though. He would only be a bit part player for Team GB, even if he somehow won a gold medal - their team won 27 golds in Rio and it would almost be an anti-climax. He's a more natural fit on the Irish team.

Tanya Watson has been confirmed in the diving. Oliver Dingley hasn’t (and looks unlikely to be)

Not a surprise by any means, but Leona Maguire has confirmed that she will be competing for Ireland in Tokyo.

According to the Indo today McIlroy and Lowry are both also expected to compete this time. This comment from the article perhaps helps to explain their change of heart from 2016:

"Harrington, Graeme McDowell, Jonathan Caldwell and Power, in that order, are the Irish reserves for an event that proved a huge cash cow for Rose, who landed multiple endorsements following his win in Rio."

• Advertisement

Danielle Hill has swam inside the qualification time for Tokyo today for the 100m backstroke by 0.07 of a second so she's off to Tokyo.

Unfortunately 2016 Olympian Nicholas Quinn has been deemed a close contact with a Covid case and has had to pull out of the swim meet this weekend, so that's his Tokyo chances finished. Looks like the only Mayo person competing at the Olympics this time around will be Sinead Diver - representing Australia unfortunately.

More updates today. It’s the last crazy week really

No weightlifting quota as Oman got the tripartite

Ellen Walshe has just got the 200 IM time in swimming

It looks like Oliver Dingley’s place will be be reinstated

There seems to be some suggestion that Ellen Walshe won't be nominated because she didn't swim close enough to the time earlier in the year to be shortlisted. Would seem very unfair not to send her when she has swam the FINA A time.

There seems to be some suggestion that Ellen Walshe won't be nominated because she didn't swim close enough to the time earlier in the year to be shortlisted. Would seem very unfair not to send her when she has swam the FINA A time.

I saw the tweet from John Kenny but this from earlier suggests she should be OK. Just because she wasn’t the ‘focus’ probably won’t preclude her

https://twitter.com/swimireland/status/1408355361447362562?s=21

EDIT: unless as reported below its ‘not allowed’. We shall see

https://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2021/0625/1231407-ellen-walshe-may-miss-out-on-games-despite-record-time/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

7s draw made
    Pool A
    New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, South Korea
    Pool B
    Fiji, Great Britain, Japan, Canada.
    Pool C
    South Africa, USA, Kenya, ireland

Avoided toughest group which i feel is Pool B and should at least make quarter finals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Show on RTE tonight called Horizon Tokyo which followed athletes over the past couple of years trying to qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flynng

Hi guys, been looking at the Team Ireland squad announcements over the past few days on Facebook and noticed a few athletes missing such as Arthur Lanigan O' Keefe and Sam and Chloe Magee. Just wondering if ye know how many Irish athletes are on standby or may have an opportunity of going to Tokyo at this late stage due to withdrawals or non-participation? Thinking of athletes like Sean McCarthy in Karate, Megan Fletcher in Judo, swim relay team, Oliver Dingely, the Magees in Badminton, Arthur Lanigan O' Keefe, track cyclists, rowers, canoeists etc etc etc. Have we a chance of adding to Team Ireland or are all doors now firmly shut?

Full list here. Some of those you’ve mentioned are in. Olympic federation spacing them out to give them a bit of space. ALOK is injured.

https://www.balls.ie/olympics/updated-list-of-every-irish-athlete-qualified-for-the-summer-olympics-410870

The only things that aren’t fully decided yet is the swim relays and whether Ellen Walsh goes, who’ll be officially selected in Athletics, who gets the shooting spot and who gets selected for the rugby team

There’s a slight chance for other swimmers to be selected too but every other sport is decided. Still over 110 quotas now and 19 sports

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

flynng wrote: »
    Hi guys, been looking at the Team Ireland squad announcements over the past few days on Facebook and noticed a few athletes missing such as Arthur Lanigan O' Keefe and Sam and Chloe Magee. Just wondering if ye know how many Irish athletes are on standby or may have an opportunity of going to Tokyo at this late stage due to withdrawals or non-participation? Thinking of athletes like Sean McCarthy in Karate, Megan Fletcher in Judo, swim relay team, Oliver Dingely, the Magees in Badminton, Arthur Lanigan O' Keefe, track cyclists, rowers, canoeists etc etc etc. Have we a chance of adding to Team Ireland or are all doors now firmly shut?

The Magees failed to qualify and have no chance of getting a call up. Oliver Dingley is in. So is Megan Fletcher. We are waiting word on the Shooting qualifier and on Ellen Keane in Swimming. There has been nothing about the Medley Relay appeal so it must have failed. There is no chance of any call up in any other sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Oldira wrote: »
    The Magees failed to qualify and have no chance of getting a call up. Oliver Dingley is in. So is Megan Fletcher. We are waiting word on the Shooting qualifier and on Ellen Keane in Swimming. There has been nothing about the Medley Relay appeal so it must have failed. There is no chance of any call up in any other sport.

Ellen Walshe confirmed in.

• Advertisement

Golfers confirmed. McIloy and Lowry in the men’s. Maguire and Meadow in the women’s

Also Ben and Megan Fletcher doing their adidas gear pics today so looks like he’s fit to travel.

We seem to be almost there at this stage with the final squad. Mostly just the rugby squad and athletes/swimming relay teams to be confirmed.

Looking at an overall team of between 115 and 120 it seems. Really looking forward to it now.

I'd say as many as 15 potential medal possibilities in there ranging from event favourites like the men's lightweight double sculls in rowing to longer shots like the golfers and showjumpers, I think something like five medals including one gold would be a successful but not unrealistic ambition for the team.

Left to be decided; rugby squad, relays in Athletics and swimming and our trap shooter

Everything else is pretty much done.

Dodge wrote: »
    Left to be decided; rugby squad, relays in Athletics and swimming and our trap shooter

Everything else is pretty much done.

Not a dicky bird about the trap shooter. No idea if the quota was even accepted! Have the divers being officially confirmed?

This is an Olympic Federation document. They list Dingley and Watson (earlier versions didn’t). They say the shooter will be named later

https://olympics.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/TOKYO-STATUS-UPDATE-QUALIFICATION-DOCUMENT-28-JUNE-2021-2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Any decent app/website with the schedule in GMT? The offical app only has JST and from what I can see no option to change the settings, which seems a bit mad for an official app.

https://juniorrowingnews.com/tokyo-olympics-preview-mens-double-sculls/

A preview of the men's double sculls event (not written from an Irish perspective). Hopefully the author will produce similar previews for the other rowing events of Irish interest.

https://juniorrowingnews.com/tokyo-olympics-preview-mens-double-sculls/

A preview of the men's double sculls event (not written from an Irish perspective). Hopefully the author will produce similar previews for the other rowing events of Irish interest.

He will. Does great previews for every rowing regatta. Obviously geared towards a British audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Anyone any insight as to why Gurley and Boylan were dropped for the women's track cycling? Seems unbelievable to me that the two individuals that won the qualification aren't going to be the two competing.

Advertisement