Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hockey and sailing tomorrow as well!

(sailing in the early hours of Sunday morning)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hmmmmph.

If you filter the app by country (Ireland), then sailing isn't listed as one of our sports 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Not really, many were shocked when they got silver in 2019...and since then it has been an expectation of getting a medal, but that’s mainly based on one race from 2 years ago so from people I know involved in the sport not exactly a shock. They all expect an easy gold from the light double tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've seen suggestions that the doubles guys had their training interrupted by the pandemic - one of the two of them returned to being a doctor for a long while.

Some of the other crews should surely be okay. The Womens Fours and O'Donovan / McCarthy have been in quite excellent form this year. I'd be inclined to put last night's flop down as a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Congratulations, make sure you keep us updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

So 2019 was a bit of a flash in the pan? That actually could make sense. It’s either that or one of the guys was sick/injured. It was an abysmal row and not sure the body language between the lads was that good. May be my imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Peter11972

Could they not have chosen a non boxer to carry the flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Well the two lads managed to find one boat that was slower than them and they have snuck in to the semi finals as the 12th and last boat. Once again, far from impressive though and it would be a surprise at this stage if they went any further at these Olympics.

Hopefully we hear from them as to what the story is, because they're performing way below expectations.

Yes, made very heavy weather of it again. We'd have to be hopeful that it is just one boat underperforming on the team. Fingers crossed the other four crews tonight are in much better shape and leave us impressed.

I would definitely have gone with Kellie Harrington as the female but, yes, you could make a strong case for another sport for the male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ireland were probably the last country allowed train for the Olympics seems most other countries opened months ago.

Gonna be a dissapointing Olympics.

Crowley and Dukarska fourth of four in their heat also. To be fair expectations were much lower for them and that result was probably to be expected. Again 12 of 13 will go through to the semi finals so they may well progress from the repechage.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

That performance against those crews would be on expectation. They will qualify for the semis as the Chinese looked like they were pulling an anchor. It was a tough heat and the three ahead could all be in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

The Chinese were very slow so they’re surely the ones who will miss out.

They actually gave it a good shot and only faded a bit in the last 300m. Hopefully O'Donovan / McCarthy and the Womens Four give us reason to cheer later (I wouldn't be overly hopeful with the lightweight pair though who are next up).

5th of 6 for Casey and Cremen. Again, that would be about right in terms of expectations for them, they only just qualified at the last qualification event. O'Donovan/McCarthy up next for us in a few minutes.

Excellent opening routine from Rhys McCleneghan......15.266, that looks a strong score and he looked happy.

I know literally nothing about the pommel horse event but Rhys McClenaghan looked fairly happy with himself after his performance there, so I'm going to take it that it went well!

I'm the same, but a quick look through the stats tells me that 15.266 is very high / championship standard. He might need to improve on that score a tiny bit further to medal, but it's a really fine start for him.

Really straightforward for McCarthy and O'Donovan in their heat. Looked really comfortable out there with plenty more in the tank.

• Advertisement

Really impressive stuff from the Women's four there, went toe to toe with the Aussies and finished second to go straight into the A final. Miles ahead of the third placed boat. A real medal prospect for us, that was excellent.

Fantastic row by the Women's Four.....pushed Australia all the way and only very narrowly edged out. These girls could be contenders to medal.

And the Australians are the odds on favourite to win the gold. I've had a good feeling about these four all year.....they've been improving and improving.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Has Jack Woolley been on yet? Thought he was due to play at 2.15, but perhaps I missed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kurt Walker starts with a unanimous win. Faces the number 1 seed next though.

Rhys McCleneghan qualified in first place from his division (there are two more divisions in total).

Jack Woolley beaten in his last 16 fight. Was leading with 8 seconds to go but couldn't hold on. Looked devastated at the end.

So that's almost certainly his Olympics over already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was mad how tense and close that match was. He did look destroyed. Am I right in saying he can still win bronze via repechage?

Advertisement